Selectable Locker ? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 115997
Selectable Locker ?

Selectable lockers, Which one you have ? and Your experience with it ?
Old 01-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 99527
i was just talking about this same things with a buddy and he asked me why do i want one, and i was not able to give him a good anwser so i ended up with a detroit locker. simple, less things to go wrong and very strong plus it a easy $300 cheaper
popeye123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2011, 12:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 168108
I have a e-locker in the front. It allows to to be unlocked most of the time so you can steer eaiser and not bind up when trying to just drive around in 4x. I only use it in some really hard situations and all I have to do is flick a switch and bam it locked and when I get to the top and have to turn flick it off and I can turn easy.
dieselboy740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 136230
Highjacked.

I got a question in the same ballpark so I figure I'll high jack and hope to get answers. Anyone running a selectable lock in the front of their Explorer/Ranger Dana 35IFS?
Phily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 10063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phily View Post
I got a question in the same ballpark so I figure I'll high jack and hope to get answers. Anyone running a selectable lock in the front of their Explorer/Ranger Dana 35IFS?
SLA IFS or TTB IFS? (I don't think one is made for the SLA)

I have an ARB in my TTB D35. No problems. Not having a locked axle when I don't need one is nice, let's you turn tighter too. WHen it's needed, then like dieselboy said, push a button and go.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
big bird

Member # 13701
Send a message via AIM to animator Send a message via Yahoo to animator
Have an ARB in the front 44. I've found that with the rear Detroit, I don't use the front locked nearly as much as I would have thought. But it's nice to have when it's needed, and it's nice to be able to turn off when I don't need it.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 136230
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4junkie View Post
SLA IFS or TTB IFS? (I don't think one is made for the SLA)

I have an ARB in my TTB D35. No problems. Not having a locked axle when I don't need one is nice, let's you turn tighter too. WHen it's needed, then like dieselboy said, push a button and go.
IFS. I got a 1996 Explorer.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 115997
This is all good info, Thanks
Old 01-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
TK Member

Member # 84917
One of the guys I run with has OX lockers front and rear in his TJ, and loves them! Another I run with had an E-Locker in the front and HATED it. After a year or so, it would lock up driving down the road on its own, and in the dirt wouldn't lock when activated. He carried a BFH to whack the diff cover with on the trail and it would then engage. He tossed it and went with an OX also. I don't know if he installed the E-Locker properly or not, and maybe it was just a bad unit. Don't want to trash the company or anything. Just what I have seen around here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtech View Post
The last time Obama came to Texas, as soon as he stepped on the stage, a farmer stood up and bid $100.

Last edited by blugreenformula; 01-26-2011 at 10:01 AM.
blugreenformula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 143867
i have an arb in the rear and love it. i already had on board air and used an air switch instead of the electric air solenoid. i want to add another arb in the front but don't have the money. it's nice to have an open rear end then if i need a little more traction without locking the hubs i can just hit that switch, ie pulling off the road on a soft shoulder. i did end up breaking an axle shaft the other day and upgraded to chromoly. that was probably due to the cummins, gearing, touchy clutch, and heavy truck though.
off road i don't really need it so much because the frame flexes so much but it does help eliminate any wheel spin to prevent tearing up the trail. i suppose a detroit would do the same but if i ever get in snow and ice i'd rather have a selectable locker
F-350 cclb dually, 6bta, rtoo9513, divorced twin stick np205, arb 10.25 rear with 2nd gen gears, KMA front bumper, warn m15000 hydraulic winch, connex 4800, wilson 5000 antenna, wilson cell phone amp, lowrance baja 540c gps, scanner, premier power welder, onboard shower, 235/85/r16 BFG MT's
chrisevans2645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 141215
A buddy of mine was running an Eaton E locker in his front 60 but he switched to an ARB. Every time he backed up the Eaton would unlock so he would have to hit the switch again. I know Tucker Sno Cat runs both Eaton and the ARB so I think it depends on your application/rig....
Old 02-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 136230
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisevans2645 View Post
i have an arb in the rear and love it. i already had on board air and used an air switch instead of the electric air solenoid. i want to add another arb in the front but don't have the money. it's nice to have an open rear end then if i need a little more traction without locking the hubs i can just hit that switch, ie pulling off the road on a soft shoulder. i did end up breaking an axle shaft the other day and upgraded to chromoly. that was probably due to the cummins, gearing, touchy clutch, and heavy truck though.
off road i don't really need it so much because the frame flexes so much but it does help eliminate any wheel spin to prevent tearing up the trail. i suppose a detroit would do the same but if i ever get in snow and ice i'd rather have a selectable locker
Must be nice having a Ford Dually w/ a 6bt.....

Last edited by Phily; 02-01-2011 at 11:56 AM.