2006 F350 4 wheel drive not working - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 166461
2006 F350 4 wheel drive not working

Just bought the truck (2006 F-350 4x4) from the stealership 3 weeks ago. Got 7 inches of snow today and went to put it in 4x4. Doesn't work. Light came on the dash, tried both Auto setting and Manual setting. Tried High range and Low range inside the cab and still no 4x4. First thing that came to my mind was the axle seal(s) for the vacumm. Went online and saw people were having vacumm PUMP issues on the 2006 models? I used to own a 2003 super duty is it the same set-up? Had a buddy see if the front Driveshaft is spinning it is. Since it won't work in the manual setting now I am thinking the lockouts are junk? Will it by-pass the vacumm part if you have the lockouts in manual? Any help thanks.

Red Green: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Last edited by rhino00149; 03-23-2011 at 02:24 PM.
rhino00149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
creepy ass cracka

Member # 168243
Your hubs should engage whenever you turn them. My folks have an 01 and the vacuum seals went a long time ago, so we just get out and turn them manually and they work just fine. I read yours is not working even when you do this? If that is the case I would pull one and see what the deal is. If it is an open diff it may only be one side. Are both front U joints spinning as well? This should tell you which side to look at.

Last edited by Dr.Danger; 03-23-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Dr.Danger is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 166461
Good call on watching which axle shaft is spinning. Never thought of that to see which lockout is bad. I think for what is worth I should just buy a set of Warn lockouts and be done with it. I'm sure one factory ford lockout is the same as 2 warn lockouts.

Red Green: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
creepy ass cracka

Member # 168243
That's what we were planning on doing for the 01' after looking at the pricing, but the factory hubs still haven't shitted out completely so they're still on there.

Everyone decided the auto is nice, but for the price how hard is it to just get out and turn the hubs?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 37866
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino00149 View Post
Good call on watching which axle shaft is spinning. Never thought of that to see which lockout is bad. I think for what is worth I should just buy a set of Warn lockouts and be done with it. I'm sure one factory ford lockout is the same as 2 warn lockouts.
Except that no one I know of makes aftermarket hubs for the 05' and up Super duty trucks. Put the truck in 2WD lock the hubs and see if the driveshaft turns when you spin the front tires.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
creepy ass cracka

Member # 168243
Whoops. Didn't occur to me that you got a super 60 up front and not just the regular one.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 166461
Hmm no aftermarket huh? Well I am pretty sure I will be raising hell at the dealership this afternoon.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
creepy ass cracka

Member # 168243
Yeah, you are fawked. Dynatrac doesn't even make one. I believe I am incorrect in calling it a super 60, those only came on F-450 and up and they have a larger ring gear and u joints. Your 60 has 35 spline outers factory though, so not exactly a lightweight....

Good luck at the stealership.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 183804
Precision Metal Fab and Spyntec don't make them either for less than Dynatrac
micky_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 166461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Danger View Post
Yeah, you are fawked. Dynatrac doesn't even make one. I believe I am incorrect in calling it a super 60, those only came on F-450 and up and they have a larger ring gear and u joints. Your 60 has 35 spline outers factory though, so not exactly a lightweight....

Good luck at the stealership.
Went to stealership today. Where do I start. Told the guy at the counter exactly what i posted above about how the 4 wheel drive doesn't work. I told him its a lockout because when they are in the manual setting i still have no 4 wheel drive. Technician looked at it and diagnosed that my passenger side seal has a vacumm leak. Which i was told by the fat retard behind the counter who new nothing. So I asked to speak with the technician. I asked the tech why i still have no 4 wheel drive even in the manual lockout setting. He looked at me dumbfounded and said "YOU SHOULD". I said well i don't so does that mean i have a bad lockout too. He goes well you must. So I said your telling me that not only do I have a bad lockout but also a bad vacumm seal. Well i would have to look at it he said. I said you looked at it and checked it off as working on the sticker when you were trying to sell the truck why the hell would you need to look at it again. So at this point i pretty much had 4 guys standing around me trying to prove me wrong and said that they aren't going to stand behind it and fix it because they claim that is worked when i left the STEALERSHIP. I honestly do not care about spending the money to fix it. What chaps my ass is the fact that I traded in a perfectly working truck in return to receive a perfectly working truck with 4 wheel drive and they obviously do not look at these vehicles but jsut add that $150 service fee for saying that they looked the vehicle over. Glad my mother works at a lawyers office where i get representation free of charge. I guess they will be sending the ford stealership a little letter.

Lesson learned, that extra money you pay at a Stealership to be assured your not getting fucked probably depends on the Stealership. So i would say when you test drive a 4 wheel drive take the damn thing to a mud hole and test the 4 wheel drive.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
finally rightside up

Member # 184361
Send a message via AIM to cdawall
thats why i test drive in 4wd if they dont lock at the dealership before i buy...i could care less if the shit gets fucked up on pavement when i am looking at it.