Pirate 4x4 banner

JTR's Ranger build

56K views 179 replies 36 participants last post by  jtr 
#1 · (Edited)
Specs
*1979 F250 frame/1990 Ranger ext cab
*393 Windsor, Coast High Performance rotating assembly, Ford Racing Performance heads, FRP roller rockers, Megasquirt injection with 460 injectors, Duraspark ignition, E2000 pump, OBA
*C6, 203/205 with Jeds adapter, ORD triple sticks
*1/2 ton rear springs up front
*XJ or TJ coils and four link rear - Actually went with ZJ fronts
*Full hydro with PSC 6.0 steering valve, Surplus Center double ended ram, PSC saginaw pump with custom ammo can reservoir
*39.5x16.5x16.5 Pitbull Rockers on 12 bolt H1s, recentered with pressed centers
*78/79 Dana 60 front with Reid knuckles welded, 14 bolt welded

All this running gear was in my Jeep; I was going to back half it and buggy it out but the frame was trashed. Had the 79 F250 sitting in the back yard so I decided to build a new rig.

My old wore out Jeep Wagonner

Frame was patched and fixed multiple times

Torque mount for doubler was tearing the frame

Cutin up and getting all the good parts out

Main motivation for a full cab, wife and kids need to be warm.

See less See more
#144 ·
I was there that weekend, we went into the slabs Thursday night for a cocktail then wheeled back to camp at Loon. Friday ran the Wentworth loop back to camp - Loon. Saturday went to Spider lake and back to Loon. Sunday packed up and went home.

#146 · (Edited)
Couple Rubicon pics

Me and my kids on the slabs

Wentworth - just before Post Pile

Wife and 14 month old son

#148 ·
My power steering pump sprung a leak so I replaced it with a PSC pump with a -12 AN housing. Added a cooler, its recycled transmission cooler from a 1990 Ranger w/ AT.

Family left for the weekend so I opened a few work orders.

Trans shifter shaft seal
Filler o-ring replacement
New trans pan gasket
Trans filter
Spare tire carrier

Sticker for pan just cause I had it

Scribing and coping compound angles takes me forever

Used a couple wheel studs off the 2wd gear from my powerstroke conversion.

#149 ·
Went to Sand Mountain for the day. Dusted the cobwebs off and pulled a few rigs out of the sand. As you can see, the Rustoleum is not holding up.

Time for a paint job.

#151 ·
Plan is to take the VIN to NAPA and get automotive paint mixed to match the door jams. I'll also get the primer recommended for that paint.....single stage.

It will be a 20 foot driveway job shot with a HF HVLP gun:D

#152 ·
Based upon where your rear axle is (at ~119" wb from the 4LinkCalc screenshot), how much do you think you could go up in tire size before cab corner clearance became an issue? Reason I ask is because I'm looking at running a similar wb (120-ish inches) with 43s and am trying to decide between a regular cab and extended (extra room for keeping camping gear dry).

#153 ·
I set it up to fit 42s without changing anything. 44s might be doable if I thread the heims out a bit. Are you using a Ranger cab and Ranger frame? My cab is mounted towards the back of the frame more than a factory Ranger. This was done to clear the engine and keep the radiator in the front.

#155 · (Edited)
Yeah, going back to the factory maroon which is the color of the jams. Almost done sanding, got a little left on the back of the cab and the cowl. Picked up the etching primer, reducer, and thinner yesterday which ran about $50.

#157 ·
The Explorer Sports are a good fit:D Time will tell where this ends up. I have dreams of using a Explorer 302 and mating it to a C6/205 with rockwells and 44 inch tires in a 4 seat buggy. All that would depend on the where we lived though. Wheeling in the rain and snow is a lot of fun. Explorer before buggy is more likely.

Stolen from pirate for sale

#159 ·
I suggested Explorer because of the 4 door and Wheelbase. Plus in your neck of the woods they look to be in better shape than the ones down here in SoCal.
Four doors are nice for getting the kids in and out when they are bigger and heavier.
That's why I moved from a 2 door Cherokee years ago to a Suburban. Easy access and more storage. (especially with 2, my wife packed like we were going to Chicago for an overnighter!)
Ideally I wanted a Wagoneer or Travelall, but none were available in my price range at the time.
It will be interesting to see the paint job, I liked the original 2 tone with the beige lower section, but hey I'm old and still remember and like the old 50's cars that sometimes had 3 different colors on the body or interior.

#160 · (Edited)
All sanded and sweet 1973 split rims/bias ply rollers. I have some white Summit Racing Primer Sealer that I'm thinking of putting over the primer. Any thoughts? Or...should I just lay down the Single Stage Red?

Etching primer laid down

#162 ·
How straight do you want it?

If you want it to be a 1-5 footer, block the etching primer with 220, spray the sealer over it, block the sealer with 320, wetsand with 400, whipe with prepall, tack, then spray.

If you want a 10-15 footer, block the primer with 220, wetsand with 400, whipe, tack, spray.

#163 ·
Well its probably a 20 footer :D I didn't have the time for perfection - my main goal is to have the paint stick. Can't have it peeling off in a year or two.

I sanded the etching primer with a Scotch Brite Pad and then laid a couple coats of the Summit Primer. That stuff was so thick, my gun kept plugging up.

Summit Primer

Ford Paint Code EH, two quarts and all materials was $115. So all together I have about $150 into this. Quite a bit more than tractor paint or Rustoleum, hopefully that much more durable.

#165 · (Edited)
Thanks. How much? I think you will be better off if you paint it now.

I learned a good lesson....spend the money and put decent paint on the first time. No more rattle can or $50 dollar paint jobs for me. It just takes so much time to remove the Rustoleum...

#167 ·
Got a build thread?

#168 ·
Got it back together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.