Pirate 4x4 banner

79 Ford T18 Info

983 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  GFY Racing 
#1 ·
Which motor did the T18 come behind? Did the 351 come exclusively with the T18 and the 400 come with the NP435? Thx for the info.

#3 ·
The story is, that I have an AMC 360, and a 79 Ford T18 that I'll be putting behind it. Do you happen to know if the clutch components (clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing, etc.) were compatible between the two transmissions? I have a feeling the idiots at the parts store won't be able to tell me which transmission they are showing me parts for.

#6 · (Edited)
Hey bud I don't know what you are doing for bell housings, but I am pretty dang sure they aren't going to jive if you are trying to bolt the Ford T18 bell to the AMC motor.

I just swapped in an NP435/205 ('79 Ford pickup) behind my AMC360 and I used a T176 bell housing ('84 J10) and a 78 CJ clutch (t150) disc,fork, pressure plate, and throwout bearing to fit inside the bell and have the correct 10 spline 1 & 1/16th inside diameter for the input shaft. You will also need a custom pilot bushing. I think if you try to use the Ford T18 clutch, you can get away with turning down the disc a little maybe, but the 76-79 CJ t150 clutch is money.

Here's the Novak page I saved when I was gathering my parts...

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t18_t19.htm

I have a build thread on militaryjeepers.com, same call sign.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info Cutter. I have the same bell housing also. I pretty much know what parts I need, but I just wanted to get some more info, cause I know when I go down the the local autozone, they're a bunch of fucking idiots :mad3: in that if I try to explain what I'm needing with this setup they'll be completely lost. Instead of telling them it's a Ford transmission in a Jeep, I'll have to tell them it's for a F150/Bronco, otherwise they're completely useless.

#8 ·
Yes sir, you are correct. I have a growing list of vehicles I have to order parts for on my Waggy. Hit me up if you need anything or want to compare notes. I'm not on this site very much, I'm on MJ mostly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.