Trail Work on Winch Hill 3 June 19th - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Fordyce Creek
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Tinman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Member # 21358
Location: Georgetown, Ca
Posts: 1,576
Trail Work on Winch Hill 3 June 19th

Winch Hill 3 has had no true bypass for quite a while now and the Squeeze has become hard enough that one is really needed. The entire left side of the hill is not short wheelbase friendly at all. In order to restore a bypass to the Squeeze and the very steep other available lines The Tahoe National Forest along with the FOF and representatives for a couple of the Adopt-a-Trail clubs will be doing some blasting Thursday June 19th to create an optional bypass line with a gradual slope to it. Don't worry, the Squeeze won't be touched and the far left line will remain as is. The plan is to create the new line slightly right of middle on the former bypass side and restore a good trail experience for all levels of users.

If you plan to be on the trail this coming Thursday the 19th and approach Winch Hill 3 you'll see red danger tape when the blasting is going to commence. Please use caution.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Aka dragqueen5000
 
dragrcr65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Member # 111580
Posts: 1,961
Sweet! Thanks for the hard work!
__________________
BUCK OFAMA

For sale: $6k cummins 4x4 quad cab

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/vehic...ab-6000-a.html
dragrcr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
dirtyjed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member # 39436
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Posts: 343
Thanks for the heads up and the work
__________________
section8krawlers.com
dirtyjed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Member # 12920
Location: Sunnyvale, ca
Posts: 1,107
I know it's a pretty tough section, but it is called a winch hill. I'd rather see a set winch point put in rather than making the trail easier by blasting rock. I appreciate all the work you guys do but more and more it seems like fordyce is turning into the rubicon.

Being challenged is or at least was part of this sport. All groups should have at least one winch in their group or at least a tow strap. Can people really not safely navigate this section with a winch and or tow strap? Seems like we're promoting people to bring clapped out rigs with no recovery gear to the trail.
dspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
H Rated
 
jethrodeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Member # 36099
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspin View Post
more and more it seems like fordyce is turning into the rubicon.
How so?
__________________


Friends of Fordyce
jethrodeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Aka dragqueen5000
 
dragrcr65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Member # 111580
Posts: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspin View Post
I know it's a pretty tough section, but it is called a winch hill. I'd rather see a set winch point put in rather than making the trail easier by blasting rock. I appreciate all the work you guys do but more and more it seems like fordyce is turning into the rubicon.

Being challenged is or at least was part of this sport. All groups should have at least one winch in their group or at least a tow strap. Can people really not safely navigate this section with a winch and or tow strap? Seems like we're promoting people to bring clapped out rigs with no recovery gear to the trail.
Haven't been there lately have you? If your wheelbase is short and you have to go down the "bypass" there is a very strong chance your going ass over teakettle... I think it's a safety issue and I applaud the effort to make a safe alternative for smaller rigs without safety equipment... There is still a winch hill there if you feel the need to show is all how big you wiener is
__________________
BUCK OFAMA

For sale: $6k cummins 4x4 quad cab

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/vehic...ab-6000-a.html
dragrcr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Member # 53528
Location: norcal
Posts: 4,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspin View Post
I know it's a pretty tough section, but it is called a winch hill. I'd rather see a set winch point put in rather than making the trail easier by blasting rock. I appreciate all the work you guys do but more and more it seems like fordyce is turning into the rubicon.

Being challenged is or at least was part of this sport. All groups should have at least one winch in their group or at least a tow strap. Can people really not safely navigate this section with a winch and or tow strap? Seems like we're promoting people to bring clapped out rigs with no recovery gear to the trail.
im almost ALWAYS against blasting the trail to make it easier(wasnt a fan of the blasting last year) but i completely support this blasting, as dragrcr65 mentioned its VERY steep and going down it with a short wheel base is very sketchy/dangerous, having a winch anchor would be great for going up but its going down that would be the problem.

if you regularly go to fordyce year after year you will notice the trail gets more difficult every year, i wouldnt call this making it "easier", IMO its restoring it to the way it used to be a few years ago.
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Member # 53528
Location: norcal
Posts: 4,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragrcr65 View Post
Haven't been there lately have you? If your wheelbase is short and you have to go down the "bypass" there is a very strong chance your going ass over teakettle... I think it's a safety issue and I applaud the effort to make a safe alternative for smaller rigs without safety equipment... There is still a winch hill there if you feel the need to show is all how big you wiener is
once my 43" sx stickies show up im doing pillow line in reverse
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Aka dragqueen5000
 
dragrcr65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Member # 111580
Posts: 1,961
Let me know when, I'll come video it and flop mine half way and flail around like a whale on the beach...
__________________
BUCK OFAMA

For sale: $6k cummins 4x4 quad cab

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/vehic...ab-6000-a.html
dragrcr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Member # 53528
Location: norcal
Posts: 4,245
good times to be had
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Member # 12920
Location: Sunnyvale, ca
Posts: 1,107
Just my opinion, just remember as everything changes I was the guy that said we shouldn't be blowing up the trail to child proof it so some people that are to lazy to use a tow strap and a winch don't roll their rig.
Hell it already happening who do you think is driving up the committee bypass, clapped out rigs that are semi broke and too lazy to get yanked out the real trail
dspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
I HATE YOU
 
kdub0013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member # 103588
Location: Plumas Lake, CA
Posts: 5,005
Can't please everyone.
__________________
COMBAT VET - USMC 01-05

Project Hippie Killer v2.0 - mean green weenie http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...en-weenie.html
kdub0013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Member # 233574
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragrcr65 View Post
I applaud the effort to make a safe alternative for smaller rigs without safety equipment...
I've been going to Fordyce to get away from these guys...
AtmosXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Aka dragqueen5000
 
dragrcr65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Member # 111580
Posts: 1,961
Right, because everyone has to have big bad rigs to have fun and experience the trail, you shouldn't have to have a full cage, 40+" tires and 115" wheelbase to safely use the trail. When/if someone gets killed because its schetchy, the people trying to take our trails will have more ammo.... I see your point, and I can assure you I am not driving a "small rig without safety equipment, but I see this work as a good thing...
__________________
BUCK OFAMA

For sale: $6k cummins 4x4 quad cab

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/vehic...ab-6000-a.html
dragrcr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God
 
RCKRATZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Member # 2485
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,428
Send a message via Yahoo to RCKRATZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspin View Post
Hell it already happening who do you think is driving up the committee bypass, clapped out rigs that are semi broke and too lazy to get yanked out the real trail
False. It's almost 50/50 with each report we have received in regards to that. Buggies/Jeeps/Normal Rigs/Etc
__________________
Keith Ratzburg aka "El Rolo"
Ratz Racing
Goatbuilt 4 seat chassis build
RCKRATZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Member # 233574
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragrcr65 View Post
Right, because everyone has to have big bad rigs to have fun and experience the trail, you shouldn't have to have a full cage, 40+" tires and 115" wheelbase to safely use the trail. When/if someone gets killed because its schetchy, the people trying to take our trails will have more ammo.... I see your point, and I can assure you I am not driving a "small rig without safety equipment, but I see this work as a good thing...
I figured out how to make it up and down just fine in a mild built jeep. next thing you know there will be a bridge over the river because the water is too wet right? I see your point too. I know the FOF is in a better position to make these calls, I'm just voicing the fact that I'm bummed to see one of my favorite sections of trail happily be modified
AtmosXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
I HATE YOU
 
kdub0013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member # 103588
Location: Plumas Lake, CA
Posts: 5,005
Bret clearly stated the fun obstacles we love will still be there. The need to make a true bypass a little safer will also help deter any more ding dogs from trailblazing up the side of the hill hopefully. This is a good thing doesn't mean it will get turned into that other trail across the hill.
__________________
COMBAT VET - USMC 01-05

Project Hippie Killer v2.0 - mean green weenie http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...en-weenie.html
kdub0013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:27 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Member # 53528
Location: norcal
Posts: 4,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtmosXJ View Post
I figured out how to make it up and down just fine in a mild built jeep. next thing you know there will be a bridge over the river because the water is too wet right? I see your point too. I know the FOF is in a better position to make these calls, I'm just voicing the fact that I'm bummed to see one of my favorite sections of trail happily be modified
so when did you start coming to fordyce? are you aware of the fact that section of trail has vastly eroded over the last 5 years? should FOF stand by while the trail erodes to the point where you need 54" tires in a buggy to make it through? the funniest part of this is the fact that were discussing a bypass, and theres two of them, with only one of the bypasses being altered. the original trail is being left alone and so is one of the bypasses, maybe you would be happier if the TNF came in and closed off both bypasses completely, leaving only the original route? can your mildly built jeep even make it up the left or right lines or is the middle line theyre blowing up the only line you can make?

over on the rubicon they close bypasses and blow up the main trail to make it easy, i for one applaud Bret and the FOF for leaving the main trail alone and making the bypass easier.

Last edited by rockyota83; 06-14-2014 at 07:41 AM.
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
Rock God
 
pepe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Member # 17870
Location: Richmond, Ca
Posts: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
over on the rubicon they close bypasses and blow up the main trail to make it easy, i for one applaud Bret and the FOF for leaving the main trail alone and making the bypass easier.
This /\.


I will add that right now there is room for 4 wide going up WH3.(3 up the bypass side and 1 up the squeeze.) The work being done is to make 1 line safer. FOF has worked with the forest service to make sure these "fixes" always allow a harder line to remain, (ie 40k hill) and not to just pave the trail. No body wants another Rubicon, especially FOF.
__________________
Arguing with a inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.

After a while you realize the PIG is enjoying himself!
pepe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Member # 233574
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
so when did you start coming to fordyce? are you aware of the fact that section of trail has vastly eroded over the last 5 years? should FOF stand by while the trail erodes to the point where you need 54" tires in a buggy to make it through? the funniest part of this is the fact that were discussing a bypass, and theres two of them, with only one of the bypasses being altered. the original trail is being left alone and so is one of the bypasses, maybe you would be happier if the TNF came in and closed off both bypasses completely, leaving only the original route? can your mildly built jeep even make it up the left or right lines or is the middle line theyre blowing up the only line you can make?

over on the rubicon they close bypasses and blow up the main trail to make it easy, i for one applaud Bret and the FOF for leaving the main trail alone and making the bypass easier.
I just said the FOF is in a better position to make these calls. and I'm glad they're involved. I literally said none of the things you're yelling about.

all I am is on the side of the fence that is against any modifications. good or bad. but I understand that there are people who can't navigate the trail safely and we have to baby proof it for them. you guys wanna put a big sign in front of the mineshaft too? 2 guys drove into it last summer
AtmosXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Member # 53528
Location: norcal
Posts: 4,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtmosXJ View Post
I just said the FOF is in a better position to make these calls. and I'm glad they're involved. I literally said none of the things you're yelling about.

all I am is on the side of the fence that is against any modifications. good or bad. but I understand that there are people who can't navigate the trail safely and we have to baby proof it for them. you guys wanna put a big sign in front of the mineshaft too? 2 guys drove into it last summer
THIS IS YELLING, if you actually READ my post you will notice not once did i accuse you of saying anything, i was simply asking you some questions to get you to think about the answers and perhaps answer them. they are not "baby proofing" the trail, they are restoring it so the people that have been driving the same rig for 20 years can continue doing so.
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Member # 233574
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
THIS IS YELLING, if you actually READ my post you will notice not once did i accuse you of saying anything, i was simply asking you some questions to get you to think about the answers and perhaps answer them. they are not "baby proofing" the trail, they are restoring it so the people that have been driving the same rig for 20 years can continue doing so.
they're all rhetorical why would I bother. I'll admit I didn't consider folks who have ran the same rig for that long. but this can't be the only part of the trail that has eroded over the past 20 years. because who's to say that the WH1 "bypasses" are too hard and have those changed next. I'm just hoping the buck stops here
AtmosXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #23 (permalink)
Pissed off Vet
 
RLIZRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Member # 116681
Location: Foresthill
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe View Post
This /\.


I will add that right now there is room for 4 wide going up WH3.(3 up the bypass side and 1 up the squeeze.) The work being done is to make 1 line safer. FOF has worked with the forest service to make sure these "fixes" always allow a harder line to remain, (ie 40k hill) and not to just pave the trail. No body wants another Rubicon, especially FOF.
X2
RLIZRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Member # 53528
Location: norcal
Posts: 4,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe View Post
This /\.


I will add that right now there is room for 4 wide going up WH3.(3 up the bypass side and 1 up the squeeze.) The work being done is to make 1 line safer. FOF has worked with the forest service to make sure these "fixes" always allow a harder line to remain, (ie 40k hill) and not to just pave the trail. No body wants another Rubicon, especially FOF.
dont forget pillow line, so actually 5 wide

Last edited by rockyota83; 06-14-2014 at 09:22 PM.
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #25 (permalink)
Rock God
 
RCKRATZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Member # 2485
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,428
Send a message via Yahoo to RCKRATZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtmosXJ View Post
they're all rhetorical why would I bother. I'll admit I didn't consider folks who have ran the same rig for that long. but this can't be the only part of the trail that has eroded over the past 20 years. because who's to say that the WH1 "bypasses" are too hard and have those changed next. I'm just hoping the buck stops here
The buck won't stop here. There are always things popping up that will need attention from time to time. Every year we bust our humps fixing issues before they become "problems". This won't change your experience one bit and keeps the trail useable for all.
__________________
Keith Ratzburg aka "El Rolo"
Ratz Racing
Goatbuilt 4 seat chassis build

Last edited by RCKRATZ; 06-15-2014 at 09:02 AM.
RCKRATZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.