Sierra Trek 2008 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Fordyce Creek
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
* The Printer *

Member # 6532
Send a message via AIM to lttlbddy Send a message via Yahoo to lttlbddy
Sierra Trek 2008

This really doesn't belong in this forum but since there was much discussion when the 2007 Sierra Trek was canceled, I figured I would start this here:

Quote:
Sierra Trek 2008

Having Sierra Trek 2007 canceled had a good and bad effect on the overall event. The bad parts, the overall disappointment of not doing an event that everybody looks forward to for a full year and four wheeling on one of the best trails in the state. The loss to the budget of CA4WDC where the funds are used to fight land closures was also one of the bad points. The good part of the cancellation is that it presented an opportunity to refresh the event with some changes.

With Sierra Trek 2008 there will be some changes made, base camp is moving, and the number of trails, days, and meals will be reduced. To encourage more people to attend the price to participants will also be reduced.

Days for Sierra Trek
Sierra Trek is going to a two day event, Friday and Saturday, with camping through Sunday noon. The elimination of Thursday will save CA4WDC money and volunteers. This will also make it easier for anybody who has limited time off or other commitment to schedule personal time better.

Costs and meals
For the two days of the event in camp meals will be limited to breakfast and dinners. Participants will have to plan on their own meals or snacks for on the trail or for those in camp during lunch time the option is supplying your own lunch or checking out the snack bar. Most people that have done the trail remember the many different trail lunches that have been tried most with no success so this year trail participants will have to supply their own trail lunch/snacks. The reduce meals and days will help control costs to participants so that more people can afford to attend the event.

Base Camp
The new location for the base camp will be the Cisco Grove Campground on I-80, which has many advantages over Meadow Lake such as easy access, power and water at all campsites and real bathrooms with showers sinks and toilets.
The campground is bicycle and ATV friendly, in fact for ATVs there are trails from the campground right out to the forest service roads so participants can bring their other toys and enjoy them also.

The road into Meadow Lake has caused many problems such as the damage done to trek equipment and participants vehicles, motor homes and trailers and the amount of time required to get into and out of Meadow Lake. The easy access to Cisco Grove will eliminate damage to vehicles and equipment and reduce travel time. A bonus is not following the slow moving vehicles out on the rough dusty road.

The new location has power available not only at the campsites but at the pavilion we will use for meals and the open area that the vendors will be located in so a generator will not be needed and with paved roads the water truck can also be eliminated reducing operating costs.

There are many other reasons Cisco Grove Campground was chosen but as can be seen from the few examples above the new location will be easier to access eliminate damage to equipment, reduce some of the logistical problems of moving equipment in and out and reduce operating costs.

Trails and Number of Days
One change for Sierra Trek that was discussed was to run the trail backwards, from Meadow Lake to Indian Springs. After meeting with the trail coordinator it was decided to run the trail in the normal direction, with the possibility of doing a reverse trip next year. Trips that have been eliminated include all Thursday trips since Sierra Trek was reduced to Friday and Saturday only, and Star Trek. An SUV and intermediate trail are planned for Saturday. With the new base camp location being one mile from the start of the short wheel base trail staging will be done in camp. Now people will not have to drive around to staging the night before or early in the morning which can be a chilling ride. The drive will still have to be done, it will just after the main trail.

With the above changes Sierra Trek will continue to be an outstanding event with a fresh look and feel while still maintaining the original premises of the event, a fundraiser for CA4WDC

Plan on attending Sierra Trek 2008 to be held on the second weekend of August and give the new format a try.

David Douglas
Sierra Trek 2008
Chairman
lttlbddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 52536
That all sounds good but what about the vehicle requirements change. This is what kept me out of Sierra Trek every year. Hopefully they will change the requirements.
mc5cent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
WeBilt 4x4

Member # 33065
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc5cent View Post
That all sounds good but what about the vehicle requirements change. This is what kept me out of Sierra Trek every year. Hopefully they will change the requirements.
Ya if they want mare people to come they need to change the vehicle requirements.

WeBilt 4WD Club
JDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
* The Printer *

Member # 6532
I'm not on the Committee but as I hear anything else, I will post it up. Just passing on info for now. I like to share.

Seriously, just like trying to make changes to anything else, let the right people know your concerns. Dave Douglas has an email listed on the Cal 4 Wheel website. I am sure constructive ideas will all be considered. Maybe get onto the Cal 4 Wheel forum or the In Gear forum, start threads there get the discussions going.

Steve G
Old 09-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 3046
The new format sounds good, except, how in the hell are rigs expected to return to Cisco? Two way traffic, I think not.

That may be fine for street legal machines to drive around and back via 89. But what about Green Sticker and others.
70CJ5, Dana 44's f/r Power Lock/f Detroit/r 4:27, 225 v6, T18
4 Wheel Disc, Atlas 4.3, 91" wheel base setting on JC Whitney CJ7 7 pack, and more.

Member of,
CAL4Wheel
Blue Ribbon
FOTR
CORVA
rubiconray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Land Use Zeus

Member # 3982
Having Trek at a place where folks can get RV's and vendors can get big trucks or at least a good set up should really help our vendor turnout. Vendors are a good part of our support and good vendors brings more participants. Could be all good.

For sure, Dave Douglas is a good guy and will try his best to make this a good situation for us and the Association. But for sure it's always hard to make change in something that has a long history. But drop Dave a note if you have a suggestion. That is what CA4WDC is about -- it's about us.

Del

Building an Access Army to Fight Back -- SOLDIER UP
Jeepndel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 63600
I sure wish I had know this before I said to apply my money to next year. For some it may be all right but for me I dont like bait and switch.
rlwjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 21358
I'm kind of on the side of not liking this new format. I think it kills the flavor of the event as it has always been. Getting into Meadow after a day on the trail made it seem like you had ARRIVED! Green sticker vehicles take a big hit and my biggest concern is all those participants driving around back to Cisco after a long day on the trail and with posssible damaged vehicles.

Hey, times change.

That being said and my personal feelings aside, I believe we should support Cal or take any comments and suggestions to them directly. Shouldn't criticize without knowing the full story. They have had problems filling all the chairman spots recently and there is no denying the logistical problems of having basecamp at Meadow. A possible plus side to a Cisco venue is that in the event of a forest closure a kick ass party could still be held with all the vendors, entertainment and food.

Cal stays the same and people criticize.

Cal changes and people don't like it.

Seems like kind of like a no win situation for them.

They have my support for a trial run at this new format.

Friends of Fordyce

KJ6NQN

BLUE RIBBON COALITION, CALIFORNIA 4WD ASSOCIATION, AMA LIFE MEMBER
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 13515
Send a message via AIM to GRIDWNC Send a message via Yahoo to GRIDWNC
Interesting.

Was there a meeting that I somehow missed, I wonder? Went through all my past emails notification about Trek meetings and don't have one for any recent dates . . . .

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I'd rather be vulgar, than an adulterous liar.[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Lime"]"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes" <Maggie Kuhl[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"]If you're afraid to parent don't breed.[/COLOR]
GRIDWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
* The Printer *

Member # 6532
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwjaw View Post
I sure wish I had know this before I said to apply my money to next year. For some it may be all right but for me I dont like bait and switch.
Before you shoot them for "Bait and Switch", contact Cal 4 Wheel with your concern. If you don't want '07 applied to '08 with the new format, I would hope they would refund your $$$. If they don't, then you would have a legitimate gripe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIDWNC View Post
Interesting.

Was there a meeting that I somehow missed, I wonder? Went through all my past emails notification about Trek meetings and don't have one for any recent dates . . . .
I heard rumors of a change about 3 weeks ago. Received this info through email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Hey, times change.

Cal stays the same and people criticize.

Cal changes and people don't like it.

Seems like kind of like a no win situation for them.

That's the right spirit!!
Old 09-21-2007, 09:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 3218
So much for keeping the commitee members in the loop on this... I mean, when you have to find out about something as important as doing a complete shake up of Trek on a bulletin board, that's just fawked up!
Granted I'm a commitee member by association (Kimber and Friday staging), but geez... when the Chair can't communicate with it's own committee members, solicit opinions, or ask for input, that leaves me wondering who made the decisions? That shows to me just how important the Chair thinks of his volunteers.

I guess with staging being done in camp, there wont be a need for any of the staging committees.

I for one an looking forward to camping at Meadow lake that weekend, with or w/o Cal4wheel...

Guess it's time to support the Blue Ribbon Coalition...

Cal4Wheel?? Hmmmmm.....

Last edited by RockdogzYJ; 09-21-2007 at 09:48 AM.
RockdogzYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 21358
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdogzYJ View Post
I for one an looking forward to camping at Meadow lake that weekend, with or w/o Cal4wheel...
Good point. There is always that option.

Friends of Fordyce

KJ6NQN

Old 09-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDunn View Post
Ya if they want mare people to come they need to change the vehicle requirements.
It is *our* state association... if we want a change, we need to make them aware of it.

If this is *your* issue, then the way to make that change is for *you* to talk to the Trek '08 chair and attend the Trek '08 meetings to lead the change you'd like to see.

Been there and done that, BTW (I helped drive the simplified rules a few years back)... it is possible, and I'll help, as I believe that the rules are overly restrictive, but I won't lead that charge, this time around, because of other commitments in my life.

If you want to make a change, then step up.

Randii
randii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiconray View Post
The new format sounds good, except, how in the hell are rigs expected to return to Cisco? Two way traffic, I think not.
...That may be fine for street legal machines to drive around and back via 89. But what about Green Sticker and others.
How did you do it before? The actual Trek trail remains the same -- you must have had some way of getting the rig around (or back through) before, right?

Randii
Old 09-21-2007, 10:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Well said, Bret. I agree -- both on not being a fan of the change in venues AND that they have my support, in trying it.

I expect I'll ba camping in Meadow Lake, tho.

Randii

Last edited by randii; 09-21-2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:42 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 3218
Quote:
Originally Posted by randii View Post
...then the way to make that change is ..attend the Trek '08 meetings ...
Randii
yeah, but if they hold super top secret meetings and dont inform their commitee members of the proposed changes... how would you know? I know, you wait until it gets posted on a bulletin board??

I guess the only way to make sure you're "in the loop" would be to become an officer or board member??? I guess being a Sierra Trek Committee member isn't enough to be kept in the loop regading Trek...
RockdogzYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdogzYJ View Post
yeah, but if they hold super top secret meetings and dont inform their commitee members of the proposed changes... how would you know?
I full understand your frustration at this, Randy. I heard rumblings of a 'change' but didn't know about this turn of events until earlier this week, by email.

I'm disappointed at the communications, and I intend to show up at the next Cal4 Board meeting to make sure that THAT is addressed, going forward. I'm concerned about the message that this sends about respect for volunteers and attendees... I think this could have been handled *MUCH* better, but that's water quickly passing under the bridge. How they handle it going forward is DAMN important.

Randii
Old 09-21-2007, 11:06 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 13515
Quote:
I full understand your frustration at this, Randy. I heard rumblings of a 'change' but didn't know about this turn of events until earlier this week, by email.

I'm disappointed at the communications, and I intend to show up at the next Cal4 Board meeting to make sure that THAT is addressed, going forward. I'm concerned about the message that this sends about respect for volunteers and attendees... I think this could have been handled *MUCH* better, but that's water quickly passing under the bridge. How they handle it going forward is DAMN important.

Randii
Randii,

I dragged your bootay into being a Trek volunteer all those years ago. Oh how I remember "conning" you into being a "club" member. We've been through a lot of changes over the years regarding Trek. But I can't remember one time in all those years that communication about these types of monumental changes was done so shitty. I haven't even gotten an email of this letter. I've gotten all my "meeting reminder" emails though!

Sorry, but Dave made a great chairman for Trek years ago and his involvement this time around may well have cost them (Cal4) "this" families time and efforts. It's a good thing that he has reduced his need for volunteers by half because he just lost a whole bunch from my end.

Kimber

Last edited by GRIDWNC; 09-21-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Land Use Zeus

Member # 3982
Don' get mad; get even. :)

Boy, we can sure get upset when something pops up here and it APPEARS to not have been done the way we thought it should have. Trust me -- I have felt the wrath of this board more than once for the same thing -- miscommunications.

Some of us learn slow...others try hard and make mistakes...some of us just plain screw up and need to find another outlet for our passion for four-wheeling. But....let's not get mad until we know all the facts, find out if the committee has changed, or if we missed something along the way. I no longer get cranky until I know for sure my knickers are twisted up for the right reasons.

Let's email the man. Let's get the full story. Please...
Del

Building an Access Army to Fight Back -- SOLDIER UP

Last edited by Jeepndel; 09-21-2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: fingers move faster than brain
Jeepndel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIDWNC View Post
I dragged your bootay into being a Trek volunteer all those years ago. Oh how I remember "conning" you into being a "club" member.
I still blame you for that!

We have had a load of good times, though. Let's talk about this more over the weekend and chill on it -- I fully understand why your are hot about it, and I full agree that communications on this were done poorly, and that decisions were made without group consult. At minimumum, this should have been discussed with the committee chairs...

...but this event is core to Cal4's ability to fight for our access. I don't like the proposal, but I'll give it a shot.

Randii
Old 09-21-2007, 12:59 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 21358
Hey, there's lots of time yet before Trek '08.

Things can be modified I'm sure.

Talk to Cal and see what happens.

Friends of Fordyce

KJ6NQN

Old 09-21-2007, 02:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 13515
Sorry guys. But I believe that volunteers should not be the last to know. At the very least they damn sure shouldn't find this kind of stuff out on "any" bulletin board first. This is the same way that many of us Chairpersons even found out about the cancellation in the first place.

I respect your opinions and clearly you actually care about the people who have given repeatedly to Trek throughout the years. It's obvious that the current Chair does not hold the same esteem by his lack of respect towards them now.

Del, BRC will gain our funds in the future.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:52 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 3046
Quote:
How did you do it before? The actual Trek trail remains the same -- you must have had some way of getting the rig around (or back through) before, right?

Randii
Yes, in previous years I drove out to 89 and home. But things have changed over the years. Sure, my rig is registered, but in all reality it is not street legal.

For the past 5 years I have been associated with the group that works winch hill 3. We arrive on Wednesday and work until Saturday afternoon or maybe into the evening. When released, we head to Meadow to party and spend the night. Then head back out the trail on Sunday to the commitee crossing back to Cisco Grove load up and go home.

What about the groups that work hill 4 and 5? As I understand they return to Meadow each evening and back to the hill's in the morning. No two way traffic.

I believe Cal has the right idea (change is needed) but they should have requested ideas as to what changes could be made and how.

I'll be there in 2008 anyways.
70CJ5, Dana 44's f/r Power Lock/f Detroit/r 4:27, 225 v6, T18
4 Wheel Disc, Atlas 4.3, 91" wheel base setting on JC Whitney CJ7 7 pack, and more.

Member of,
CAL4Wheel
Blue Ribbon
FOTR
CORVA
rubiconray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:58 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 498
Send a message via ICQ to WheelingPiazza Send a message via AIM to WheelingPiazza
I wonder what that means for all the people that park there tow rigs at cisco groove..

To me, they are making the right moves by lower fees, etc but moving the location to an area where its going to create two way traffic on the trail is wrong.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
FOF Director

Member # 2485
Send a message via Yahoo to RCKRATZ
wonder what the plan is for rigs that break between Winch Hills 3-5

feel sorry for the guys that were getting in camp real late at Meadow in the past....going to have to add at least another couple hours to the trip to make it back around to Cisco. Someone to help people air up, etc.

If they feel that Cisco Grove will be a better base camp, all the more power to them... Won't change anything for us at Trek I dont think.
RCKRATZ is offline   Reply With Quote