Indian Springs Trailhead Break-ins - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Fordyce Creek
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 21358
Indian Springs Trailhead Break-ins

I'm starting a new thread about this but not making it a sticky because a lot of people don't look at those threads.

I talked to Sargeant Pettitt of the Nevada County Sheriff's Department at some length about the problem at the Fordyce trail head and got tons of good information, some of it surprising and a lot I didn't know. I'll be posting it here as I can and it might not be in any particular order so please look at it all carefully. Some of you may know all of this but I was unaware of a lot of it.

Please don't fill this thread with a bunch of "Let's go string 'em up" posts. I will delete those. I would like to see only posts that have something to contribute to slowing down or catching these criminals.

The Nevada County Sheriff's Department is extremely aware of this problem and here is why:

First bit of info I never thought about. This is not an isolated problem. It exists all along the I-80 corridor.

Second bit of info is something I have already touched on. It is the opinion of the Sheriff's department that as high as 95% of the incidents go unreported! They do patrol the trailheads including Indian Springs and have seen the aftermath of the break-ins. They leave a card and ask for contact but I am told they rarely get a call!

We must report ALL incidents. The reason this is so important is that it will assist in there investigation by helping them to develope patterns in the activity and allow then to better allocate their manpower. Be assured there is an investigation going on. I was hesitant to post this information in case the criminals read this board but Sergeant Pettitt welcomed the flow of information and said if it acted as a deterrant that was a good thing!

Friends of Fordyce

KJ6NQN

BLUE RIBBON COALITION, CALIFORNIA 4WD ASSOCIATION, AMA LIFE MEMBER

Last edited by Tinman; 11-18-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 21358
The number to call to report an incident is:

530-582-7842. That's the Truckee office.

Eagle Lakes is Nevada County.

Cisco Grove is Placer but Nevada County will take a report if it more convenient for the victim and forward it to the proper office in Placer Co. They can also provide the contact info to Placer Co. if that's what one wants.

Friends of Fordyce

KJ6NQN

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2008, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 21358
I had no idea the Sheriff's department has a trail worthy rig of sorts and DOES travel parts of the Fordyce trail. It is a modified Dodge Durango. This is during the summer months when usage is high. They do go into the Indian Springs trail head area and also have reqested and gotten assistance from the CHP in these patrols.

Friends of Fordyce

KJ6NQN

Last edited by Tinman; 11-18-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 21358
The Sheriff's departmant has a lot more capacity than I would have guessed. When I talked about catching these people in the act or hiding in the bushes at the right time Sargeant Pettitt kind of chuckled and said they are a lot more high tech than that and have things like thermal imagers in their inventory. The trick is to get the technology in the right place and the best way to do that is to have our help in developing timelines of break-ins. That's why it's so important to report all the acts.

Friends of Fordyce

KJ6NQN

Old 11-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
When I talked about catching these people in the act or hiding in the bushes at the right time Sargeant Pettitt kind of chuckled and said they are a lot more high tech than that and have things like thermal imagers in their inventory.
Low-tech methods like K-9 units can be surprisingly effective, and I'd like nothing more than to take a half-day off to go witness court proceedings for some dog-bit window-breaking thieves.

Thanks for the update on this, Bret -- it really underlines the importance of REPORTING EVERY CRIME.

Is there additional value in reporting suspicious activity? What should we report, really? I've seen a few Creepers up there, and they're a pretty suspicious-looking crew.

Randii
- KOH Pledge Drive: for 4405 KOH Pledge #4
randii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 21358
I didn't ask about that but I would imagine the more info they have the better. I'll contact them again and ask. If they had one tip about a car with license number so and so lurking around and then later a partial plate number or description that matched they would have a lead to go on.

Friends of Fordyce

KJ6NQN

Old 11-18-2008, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
What if we/they posted a "Report Crime" phone# on the bathroom and on the telephone poles in the area.

It may remind folks and get the job fast tracked, especially for those that do not read pirate. I bet most of them don't even know who the local LEO is there anyway.

Last edited by Bebe; 11-18-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
WeBilt 4x4

Member # 33065
Bret, I am available to help the LEO's whenever they need help and can get more locals also. This is a big problem for me personally and others. I have a green sticker rig and can no longer legally use Rattle Snake Road. Because of the new enforcement I need to park my tow rig in the eagle lakes staging area and I sure don't want to come back and find it broken-in to.

Thanks for the info,
JDunn

WeBilt 4WD Club
JDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 21358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe View Post
What if we/they posted a "Report Crime" phone# on the bathroom and on the telephone poles in the area.

It may remind folks and get the job fast tracked, especially for those that do not read pirate. I bet most of them don't even know who the local LEO is there anyway.

Good idea! I'll bring it up to the FS and see if they'll let us post signs there. We'll probably have to replace them constantly though since the thieves will no doubt steal them.

Friends of Fordyce

KJ6NQN

Old 11-18-2008, 08:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 21358
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDunn View Post
Bret, I am available to help the LEO's whenever they need help and can get more locals also. This is a big problem for me personally and others. I have a green sticker rig and can no longer legally use Rattle Snake Road. Because of the new enforcement I need to park my tow rig in the eagle lakes staging area and I sure don't want to come back and find it broken-in to.

Thanks for the info,
JDunn

Thanks. I will keep the offer on mind.

Friends of Fordyce

KJ6NQN

Old 11-19-2008, 09:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Good idea! I'll bring it up to the FS and see if they'll let us post signs there. We'll probably have to replace them constantly though since the thieves will no doubt steal them.
If a fund can be set up for signs, count on me for the first $50 bucks to fund weather-proof signs. As a step further, if the cops are willing to have us do it, I'd like to advertise a REWARD for the arrest and prosecution of these dirt-bags. I know that's more work for Friends of Fordyce, to track pledges and donations, but I've got a $100 pledge toward that when/if it is ready.

$150 is way less than a replacement window for my truck.

Randii
randii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 21358
I've sent a request to the FS for permisison to post signs and even asked them to pay if possible.

Will update.

Friends of Fordyce

KJ6NQN

Old 11-19-2008, 12:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 21358
TNF asks for a sample sign for review. Pending their approval OHV funds can be used for making the signs.

I'm going to ask the Sheriff's department if they have anything they can provide to us as far as sign layout and get something into the FS.

Friends of Fordyce

KJ6NQN