Sierra Trek 2010 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Fordyce Creek
Notices

View Poll Results: SierraTrek 2010
Meadow Lake 28 75.68%
Cisco Grove 9 24.32%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 09:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
CA4WDC for Life

Member # 18970
Sierra Trek 2010

I have a simple question Sierra Trek 2010 Cisco Grove or Meadow Lake?
tell me why? Keep in mind that Sierra Trek is a major fundraiser for CA4WDC.

Jeff Blewett
2009 Sierra Trek Chairman
209-210-7880
sandraider@clearwire.net

Last edited by sandraider; 08-24-2009 at 11:36 AM.
sandraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 63183
End the arguments

Have it in both places!

There are people who like it next to the freeway and there are people that have been conditioned to the old location and can't change. That's human.
Sno White is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2009, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
FOF Director

Member # 2485
Send a message via Yahoo to RCKRATZ
Having been part of trek for the past 6 yrs or so, I would say 100% without a doubt Trek needs to move back to Meadow Lake.

When Trek was at Meadow it felt like a destination....People would finish the trail and BOOM there they were at camp. 100's of people walking down to watch the action at Winch Hill 5. Now you get to Cisco Grove and everyone is so spread out that it just feels like a weekend at Cisco Grove with a couple of vendors there. Every year it was at Meadow we were down at the bar and dance floor having a great time, at Cisco both years I have just gone back to my camp hung out with a couple buddies and called it a night.

Last edited by RCKRATZ; 08-24-2009 at 11:10 AM.
RCKRATZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 2037
Jeff,

I've been on 13 Treks but haven't attended since the move to Cisco so I can't speak to that location but I completely agree with Keith's statements about Meadow Lake. I love reaching WH5 and having people from camp come down and cheer you on! After being on the trail all day, rolling into base camp at Meadow with it's Bar, hot showers and party atmosphere, you know you had arrived and it was time to relax My wife and I just love the Meadow experience!

Thanks for asking!

'86 CJ7, ProRock60's, 4.88's/Detroits/35 Spline Alloys/CTM's, TBI 350, 700R4, 4:1 D300 w/Twin Stick, 17" x 8.5" Trail Ready HD Aluminum beadlocks, 37x13.5x17 Toyo MT's

Dysfunctional Rockcrawlers (TDO)

Wheelers for the Wounded of California
Rubicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
I suggest a planned alternation of sites, with 2010 heralding a return to Meadow and 2011 going back to Cisco. Alternating would allow RV-friendliest camping close to the freeway on the odds and allow the 'classicist' Trek fans to base out of Meadow Lake with full amenities on the evens.

Running BOTH base camps would be too complex and volunteer-intensive.

I fully agree with Mark -- thanks for asking!

Randii
randii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 24612
What about having two events every summer?
sik4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 62455
Meadow 100%....................Cisco brings the suck!(for Trek, other then that I love Cisco. Sorry Cisco)

Last edited by SCHooch; 08-25-2009 at 08:18 PM.
SCHooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
"All Whee Drive!"

Member # 6450
Quote:
Originally Posted by randii View Post
I suggest a planned alternation of sites, with 2010 heralding a return to Meadow and 2011 going back to Cisco.
I like that.

"The views and opinions expressed in any thread by MochaMike are those of the author and do not represent any policy initiatives of any club, organization or friend. Proposed alternatives are the expressed views of the author."
MochaMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 105212
My wife and I got married at Meadow lake and I need to go back to the scene of the crime atleast once a year but we don't do seirra trek because of the move to Cisco grove. Bring it back and I can come back with this event. The price has gone through the roof also Bring that back also
Old 08-24-2009, 06:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 2592
Send a message via AIM to rockinfive+2
So thats how you got her to marry you she was drunk Keep trek at Cisco I enjoy having meadow lake to ourselves ( winch hill 4 ) but if you want trek to survive, I think you dont have a choice it needs to be at the lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssic off road shop View Post
My wife and I got married at Meadow lake and I need to go back to the scene of the crime atleast once a year but we don't do seirra trek because of the move to Cisco grove. Bring it back and I can come back with this event. The price has gone through the roof also Bring that back also
rockinfive+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 21358
I will have to go with the general concensus here. Meadow without a doubt. I do feel that Cal did a great job this year improving on the Cisco experience and I also think it's great for the economy of the folks at Cisco Grove Campground. Alternating between Meadow and Cisco may be a hassle but could be worth it. However, I agree that when finishing the trail on that last stretch of dirt road after a long day, the anticipation of arriving at Meadow is reaffirmed as one exits into the wide open space, the music and bonfire, and the energy of the place. Those nursing a broken rig can simply park it and worry about it the morning too.

Friends of Fordyce

KJ6NQN

BLUE RIBBON COALITION, CALIFORNIA 4WD ASSOCIATION, AMA LIFE MEMBER
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20999
Meadow for sure

but i like the two day break up of the trail the old early start and all day hustle used to just leave you feeling like a beat animal at the end of the day.

GO UM Montana Griz

"Jeep Lurker"

KEEP REMEMBERING 9/11

Jeep with Rambler motor, SUA, front 608.9 and some bolt on stuff.

I miss my old 4bt powered chief

Support Frank the Tank
ddestruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 23319
Meadow Lake is nice, it gets you away from the rat race, but it is going to get harder and harder to find food vendor/ suppliers that are willing to haul their equipment up to Meadow Lake. Although I tent camp, I know a lot of people that will not and would not take their $100,000 plus RV down that nasty dirt road. Plus the logistics of the two day/ split trail becomes a pain. 10 hour on the trail plus the 2 hours, at o’dark thirty makes for a long @ss day and that’s if no one breaks in front of you. Just my $.02

On a personal note, I worked Staging/Tech this year with my club NorCal4Wheelers. Had a great time, meet a lot of great people, but I would hate to do Staging/Tech if I had to either camp at Eagle Lakes Staging Area or leave Meadow Lake base camp at o’dark thirty to do it.

Last edited by Brothergrim; 08-25-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Brothergrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
* The Printer *

Member # 6532
Send a message via AIM to lttlbddy Send a message via Yahoo to lttlbddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddestruel View Post
Meadow for sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothergrim View Post
it is going to get harder and harder to find food vendor/ suppliers that are willing to haul their equipment up to Meadow Lake.

All of the Pro Meadow Lake people have to help come up with solutions for these types of issues.

Plus water supply. Plus is the property available for the Event. Plus logistics for moving the Cal 4 Wheel equipment to the site (I've heard it takes 4-5 trips from Sacramento and it's being done by 1 volunteer).

There are upcoming meetings for Sierra Trek Planning. People that can help solve the issues should show up with a willingness to volunteer as well as express your opinion.

Next meeting is Thursday night, Sept 17th - I think. Wait for a Chairperson or Committee member to confirm this. If the meeting had been on a weekend, I was seriously considering coming from So Cal just to show my support for the Event but Thursday night kills it for me.

sik4wheeler - 2 events needs twice the volunteer base. Show up and let them know how you can help and bring friends, lots of friends.
lttlbddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20999
Quote:
Originally Posted by lttlbddy View Post
All of the Pro Meadow Lake people have to help come up with solutions for these types of issues.

Plus water supply. Plus is the property available for the Event. Plus logistics for moving the Cal 4 Wheel equipment to the site (I've heard it takes 4-5 trips from Sacramento and it's being done by 1 volunteer).

There are upcoming meetings for Sierra Trek Planning. People that can help solve the issues should show up with a willingness to volunteer as well as express your opinion.

Next meeting is Thursday night, Sept 17th - I think. Wait for a Chairperson or Committee member to confirm this. If the meeting had been on a weekend, I was seriously considering coming from So Cal just to show my support for the Event but Thursday night kills it for me.

sik4wheeler - 2 events needs twice the volunteer base. Show up and let them know how you can help and bring friends, lots of friends.

True, but they don't seem to have a problem getting down into rubicon springs ....... at least the road to Meadow is practically paved for them the whole way in. I know my 24' GN makes it in there. 5.5 hours from Windsor Ca to Meadow. Its 4.5 hours to the top of rubicon and then i still have to wheel down. if i were a vendor id rather trailer my crap to a location than have to make my jeep carry it all.

From my perspective It takes less time to tow up to meadow than it does to tahoe & wheel into the springs and vendors make that jaunt. Yes cisco is a more convenient location but also seem to lack some of the draw. There is snow skiing at Boreal it's much more convenient but people make the Trek to Heavenly or Squa Valley.

Volunteers are key, reaching out is tough. There are alot of people out there who are not parts of clubs who would be glad to help but are not often reached out to. I dont recall getting a letter from Cal 4 ever asking me to volunteer to help one day or another for the Sierra Trek....Shoot id bring up my bar b que trailer and cook a night if they asked..... I know of several people who are in that same boat. Some flexibility and forward planning micht help. Anyone ever thought of asking a charity like the active 20/30 club to come up and handle food and camp accomodations for one night or another in exchange for a donation to thier cause. Placerville has a very active 20/30 club that is into wheeling as does Reno. For water can the National Gaurd be tapped with thier water purification truck? what about having the Staging/Tech stay at cisco the first night? and then let them bring up the rear and head up the hill as the last of the group makes it up. Everything is a challenge but it is called Sierra Trek not half way up the sierra's.

Yes the Thursday is hard for many out of towners to make the journey for the meeting. just throwing some stuff out to try and spur ideas.

GO UM Montana Griz

"Jeep Lurker"

KEEP REMEMBERING 9/11

Jeep with Rambler motor, SUA, front 608.9 and some bolt on stuff.

I miss my old 4bt powered chief

Support Frank the Tank

Last edited by ddestruel; 08-25-2009 at 03:29 PM.
ddestruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 23319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddestruel View Post
True, but they don't seem to have a problem getting down into rubicon springs ....... at least the road to Meadow is practically paved for them the whole way in. I know my 24' GN makes it in there. 5.5 hours from Windsor Ca to Meadow. Its 4.5 hours to the top of rubicon and then i still have to wheel down. if i were a vendor id rather trailer my crap to a location than have to make my jeep carry it all.

From my perspective It takes less time to tow up to meadow than it does to tahoe & wheel into the springs and vendors make that jaunt. Yes cisco is a more convenient location but also seem to lack some of the draw. There is snow skiing at Boreal it's much more convenient but people make the Trek to Heavenly or Squa Valley.

Volunteers are key, reaching out is tough. There are alot of people out there who are not parts of clubs who would be glad to help but are not often reached out to. I dont recall getting a letter from Cal 4 ever asking me to volunteer to help one day or another for the Sierra Trek....Shoot id bring up my bar b que trailer and cook a night if they asked..... I know of several people who are in that same boat. Some flexibility and forward planning micht help. Anyone ever thought of asking a charity like the active 20/30 club to come up and handle food and camp accomodations for one night or another in exchange for a donation to thier cause. Placerville has a very active 20/30 club that is into wheeling as does Reno. For water can the National Gaurd be tapped with thier water purification truck? what about having the Staging/Tech stay at cisco the first night? and then let them bring up the rear and head up the hill as the last of the group makes it up. Everything is a challenge but it is called Sierra Trek not half way up the sierra's.

Yes the Thursday is hard for many out of towners to make the journey for the meeting. just throwing some stuff out to try and spur ideas.
Getting things into the Springs is easy, Semi truck on a paved road, then a short helicopter ride to the springs. That is way Jambo is $300 a person, not $180 a person for Terk. It is neat to watch the bird do the multiple trips back and fourth.
Squaw and Heavenly have longer runs and cater to a higher standard of skier then Boreal does. They also cost more. Terk is run on the same trail, doesn’t matter were base camp is.
Volunteer please, they are always looking for help. Check http://www.cal4wheel.com/index.php?o...d=52&Itemid=66 to see where they need help. Food is the biggest thing, try cooking for 3-400 people every morning and night. Each Breakfast and Dinner is manned by different clubs. If I am not mistaken, one of the Breakfast’s this year was not manned and a ragtag group came together to make sure we all had a hot meal. Big props to those who cook and man the winch hills, without these large groups Trek would probable not happen.
Other group (ie: 20/30, Knight of Columbus, ect.) want their piece of the pie. Cal4Wheel does this for the money. That is why it is hard to get other groups involved.
And for bring in the National Guard, that would be a good idea, just need to find out the legality of them helping out a non-profit group on private land.
Staging/Tech can be done early, but not everyone gets to camp on Friday. We had a hard enough time getting everyone together the morning of the run and they were only five minutes from camp.

Trek is a volunteer run fundraiser. IMO for every 2 people going on Trek, there is 1 volunteer helping to make it happen. And remember the volunteers pay to play too.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 63183
H2O trucks are available. General Contractors, the yellow pages under "Water", etc. Some business out of Truckee or Sierraville areas would have the best access.

Question is potable or not.
Sno White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
H Rated

Member # 36099
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandraider View Post
I have a simple question Sierra Trek 2010 Cisco Grove or Meadow Lake?
tell me why? Keep in mind that Sierra Trek is a major fundraiser for CA4WDC.

Jeff Blewett
2009 Sierra Trek Chairman
209-210-7880
sandraider@clearwire.net
IMO Meadow made Trek an event….Cisco made it less than an event. After working on a winch hill for 4 days I enjoyed arriving at the lake and becoming part of the celebration/party. For the last two years at Cisco I had nothing close to that experience and I felt much more like an employee waiting to go home. So Jeff to answer your question…. Meadow without a doubt.

Quote:
Trek is a volunteer run fundraiser. IMO for every 2 people going on Trek, there is 1 volunteer helping to make it happen. And remember the volunteers pay to play too.
My guess would put it much closer to a 1 to 1 ratio.

Friends of Fordyce

Last edited by jethrodeg; 08-25-2009 at 05:09 PM.
jethrodeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 23319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno White View Post
H2O trucks are available. General Contractors, the yellow pages under "Water", etc. Some business out of Truckee or Sierraville areas would have the best access.

Question is potable or not.
The truck has to be cleaned and then cert. by the state. It kind of pricey as I understand it.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
* The Printer *

Member # 6532
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrodeg View Post
My guess would put it much closer to a 1 to 1 ratio.
Volunteers pay to play at a heavily discounted rate at Trek. At events that I work, I pay full boat and "maybe" get a free t-shirt. I have fun as a volunteer and I pay because they are fund raising events. We also limit the amount of volunteers to an "as many as necessary". If Trek is at a 1/1 or even a 2/1 ratio of Volunteers to Participants maybe this is something to look a little harder at.

Also, do all volunteer positions work as hard as others? My experiences are that some people call themselves volunteers and reap the benefits but don't put as much effort into the job. Please keep in mind, I am speaking "my experience" and not pointing a finger at Trek in particular just a general statement.

Even the Volunteers need to remember the reason for most Events is to raise funds.

IF the event were to move back to Meadow Lake, what are the costs involved compared to the costs at Cisco?

Not just dollar costs but volunteers costs - I mentioned earlier about several trips to move all of the gear to base camp with a single volunteer doing this. Is it easier on the other volunteers at Cisco vs. Meadow?

The participation question: Many have stated that they will come IF it moves back to Meadow Lake. How many will not take their RVs to Meadow?

It's a balancing act that will not make everybody happy.

I will make a commitment right now, that I will attend Trek '10 at either location and I will work as a volunteer and pay full rate whether I am required to or not. Some committee chair needs to copy this post before I come to my senses and edit it.

Steve G
Old 08-25-2009, 08:10 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 127276
Quote:

I will make a commitment right now, that I will attend Trek '10 at either location and I will work as a volunteer and pay full rate whether I am required to or not. Some committee chair needs to copy this post before I come to my senses and edit it.

Steve G
Done, got it for you.

[QUOTE=randii;10095565] "gayly-painted and -stickered transports for bikini babes." :flipoff2:[/QUOTE]
1lilrasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 23319
Quote:
Also, do all volunteer positions work as hard as others? My experiences are that some people call themselves volunteers and reap the benefits but don't put as much effort into the job. Please keep in mind, I am speaking "my experience" and not pointing a finger at Trek in particular just a general statement.

IF the event were to move back to Meadow Lake, what are the costs involved compared to the costs at Cisco?

Steve G
You are right. Not all jobs are the same. For myself doing Staging/Tech I was up at 0400hr, started staging at 0500hr, sending the first wave out at 0600hr, then start the process over again at 0630hr, sending them off at 0730hrs. In that time I talk to people, look at their rigs, and did the safety/legal paper work before handing the group over to the trail bosses. Puff, my job for the day is done. However, the Winch Hills are an all day event. Plus, most of those guys camp at the hill with no benefit of the dinners or bar, band, anything that base camp has. Then you have a communications person on top of Signal Peak from sun-up until every one is off the trail for the day. Plus, bar people, snack bar, food, trash, and security. Don’t get me wrong, I know most of the people doing their jobs are having a good time with their friends and wouldn’t give it up for the world.

Talking to people in the know, what I have heard is the cost in dollars between Cisco and Meadow is pretty much a wash. The cost to rent Cisco and all that it entails is roughly the same as get all the amenities into Meadow (showers, toilets, generators, fuel, ect.).

Like you said, ‘not everyone will be happy!!!!!’
Old 08-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
* The Printer *

Member # 6532
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lilrasz View Post
Done, got it for you.
I'm reading this as you ARE a committee chair or ARE volunteering to be one!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 127276
Quote:
I'm reading this as you ARE a committee chair or ARE volunteering to be one!
I was the committee chair for Staging and at every Trek meeting this year.

[QUOTE=randii;10095565] "gayly-painted and -stickered transports for bikini babes." :flipoff2:[/QUOTE]
1lilrasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
FOF Director

Member # 2485
Send a message via Yahoo to RCKRATZ
Quote:

I would love to come to all of the Trek meetings, but yeah right. Thursday night in Sacramento? Can't take a day off work everytime there is a Trek meeting. Why not start going more high tech and allow committee chairs to call in?
RCKRATZ is offline   Reply With Quote