Pirate 4x4 banner

If you could start all over...

14K views 134 replies 116 participants last post by  InstaGator 
#1 ·
So, we all know we have dumped too much money into our rigs, and changed our minds (and countless parts) too many times. If you could have all your time and money back, and start all over, What kind of rig would you build and why?

#19 · (Edited)
This.

Should have built my Tacoma and DD'd my '85 pickup.

Traded the Tacoma in on the F-150 tow rig and the '85 ended up a truggy on Tons.

I should have bought an EFI rig instead of a carbed rig, which went to propane, which made me take it off the road.

Now I have a stock F-150 and a quad :laughing:

#4 ·
Look at all of the for sale threads. How many times do you look at something and go... Damn.... That guy is selling this for the cost of the parts alone.

You are FAR better off buying something built then make whatever changes you find that MUST be done. The problem is most people do not have the jack to buy it all at once and I am guilty of this. If you build one on your own, you buy parts when you can swing it.

The offroad world is the only thing I have ever been a part of where you put all of your time and blood into something and it is worth less when you are done than when you started when you add up the cost of the rig up front and all the mods that are made. I have found there are only a few select things that you get your coin back out of. T cases, Wheels and tires and your motor, if your lucky on the motor part. The place where you lose your ass are all the rod ends, joints, control arms, brackets etc. These things never bring back what your up front cost is.

To get the most for your return one should save for years, put the money in a can, in a hole in your back yard. Add to it as you can. Once you have the money for what you want, buy it used and you will end up saving 1/3 and will not have to do all the leg work to get it built. For me... I wish I had saved up and bought a real alfa humvee. When I wanted to go wheeling I would ride with others :flipoff2:

#134 ·
I figured this out after 3 rigs. Got to a point where I had some cash, but no time to build. Found what I wanted in Kansas City, and have made some changes over the past few years. MUCH better on the wallet than building one. Especially if you build the same one more than once :homer:.

#6 ·
I'd have left my 4Runner on 33's and IFS or even dropped back to 32's. Added an e-locker and called it good.

I wish I'd have built my buggy first....but butchering the 4Runner gave me the skills and practice to build the buggy. :sigh:

#109 ·
See i wanted to do that but didnt have the money so I had to sell the jeep to buy most of the big parts and drivetrain to start my buggy. years later still gathering parts and buying stuff and am 50% done. LMAO!!!!!:laughing: Someday my dream will come true and i will be buried in my rock buggy. LOL

#11 ·
Everything I did from here to now was a net gain in knowledge and skill so there is no way to skip steps really and have the same outcome.

Having said that, I do wish I'd have kept my rig on yota axles and 38's. I wheeled my ass off back in those days. Always ready to go just add gas, fill a bag of clothes and the cooler. Now I need to load it on a trailer, fill 3 tanks of fuel, make sure the camper has propane etc etc etc. But on the bright side I'm stripping the '80 down and rebuilding it all on a 89 x cab yota chassis. Less extreme and streetlegalish. I WILL wheel more when it is done. :D

#20 ·
its funny cause when i had an ifs 4runner on some buckshots and open diffs, i went wheeling almost every damn weekend or weekdays after work even for a couple hours...now that i gotta trailer my rig it has become such a PITA, but really i like it that way,
so to how id do it again, im doing it, slowly acummulating parts for the chassis i have tucked in the corner of the shop. once that is built ill tear my current trailer queen down a build a wheeler/camping/expedition type rig out of it, but ill keep wheeling my current trailered junk.

#12 ·
I would have started a build thread without actually building anything so I could get tons of web-gineers input like concerns about double shear, safety, and more triangulation. Then after I get all this well intended criticism I would go buy a boat instead cause it's a great investment and girls like to sit on boats with bikini's and drink cocktails more than they like to sit on rock buggies...

but if I was building a rock buggy I'd get an LS, TH400, Atlas, coil shocky things, links to and fro, and front and rear steering with hydro rammers.

:flipoff2:

#49 · (Edited)
I would have started a build thread without actually building anything so I could get tons of web-gineers input like concerns about double shear, safety, and more triangulation. Then after I get all this well intended criticism I would go buy a boat instead cause it's a great investment and girls like to sit on boats with bikini's and drink cocktails more than they like to sit on rock buggies...

but if I was building a rock buggy I'd get an LS, TH400, Atlas, coil shocky things, links to and fro, and front and rear steering with hydro rammers.
:flipoff2:
first this :laughing:

I would have stopped with my streetable toy on 35's instead of conitinue to build till I'm on ton's and 40 sticky's with no chance in hell of driving it legally down the road. I miss it when it was like this. I didnt know at the time though and the only way my rig is worth anything now is to part it out.

http://photos.imageevent.com/rocktoy94/randompics/websize/HPNX0472.JPG
second, this. amen. i should have picked up some cheap 85 ex cab to slap tons/42s under and completely trash.... :shaking:

shouldnt have touched another wrench, torch, grinder, or welder at this stage.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8560929&postcount=166

#18 · (Edited)
Beefed up one tons, flexy leaf springs, and trick anti wrap bars seemed fine twelve years ago. The setup still performs, but if I were doing it over again today I'd go with hybrid rockwells and a coilover/four link suspension. Ah well, I'll save that for the next build.

Also, instead of mounting the nitrous bottle between the seats, I'd install a cheese toaster.

Bitches love cheese toast.

#21 ·
if i had it all to do over again id masterbate and live alone that woman is the vein of my existance

id buy a used rig as close to what i wanted as i could then change what is needed but i love fabbin so startin from a pile of tube has its reward

#47 · (Edited)
if i had it all to do over again id masterbate and live alone that woman is the vein of my existance
It is "bane of my existence"...I try to refrain from correcting everyone's spelling, but that one was just too messed up. Just trying to help a brother out :D

Also, instead of mounting the nitrous bottle between the seats, I'd install a cheese toaster.

Bitches love cheese toast.
Thanks for that...I laughed outloud :laughing:

.......I would have taken up butterfly collecting :flipoff2:
But then I would have wanted the best nets.......lead crystal display cases and then I would need to travel to exotic far away places to catch odd ball bugs................:eek:
No such thing as a cheap hobby!!:shaking:
Exactly! I have been a gear hog for my entire life. It doesn't matter if it's backpacking, skiing, wheeling, or butterfly collecting....I would always want the best gear and be in it full force.

With that said, I would have added rear steer on my buggy when PJ suggested it during the build. I will be retrofitting it, but it would have been cheaper then. I also would have used a Warn electric winch to start....yes...another thing PJ suggested. So I guess my only real regret was not always doing what PJ said :shaking: Other than those...no regrets :D

I am a rock crawling lifer...till I break my hip climbing in and out of the buggy...even then...that's what hip replacement is for :p

#30 ·
This and a low Flatty with a 2bbl 231 or 4.3 T18-D18 D44s and Q78s. Small, legal on the road with antique plates, reasonalby simple and reliable.

Ive done all right so far with the rigs as far as Dollar bills are concerned But I really want more shop than a shed, some basic powertools and a portable welder.

#23 ·
I'm building it now... My full circle jeep is my journey and back to almost where I started... Just adding a few modern pieces and styling..

#26 · (Edited)
I would have stopped with my streetable toy on 35's instead of conitinue to build till I'm on ton's and 40 sticky's with no chance in hell of driving it legally down the road. I miss it when it was like this. I didnt know at the time though and the only way my rig is worth anything now is to part it out.

http://photos.imageevent.com/rocktoy94/randompics/websize/HPNX0472.JPG

If I was was building a trail only rig again it would still have a shield, doors and heat just liek my current rig. I dont live in a fair weather climate and a buggy isnt for me in crappy weather.

#27 ·
I would have stopped when my rig was still streetable.

Knowing how much money I have into my rig and how often I actually wheel now that I'm married and have 2 kids; that cost per trip is insane. Then add in the tow rig, trailer. Fuck it, wish I would have never wheeled in the first place.

But I'm in too deep now, there's no turning back.

#28 ·
.......I would have taken up butterfly collecting :flipoff2:

But then I would have wanted the best nets.......lead crystal display cases and then I would need to travel to exotic far away places to catch odd ball bugs................:eek:

No such thing as a cheap hobby!!:shaking:

#33 ·
That's funny :laughing:

Jeff... If you want to ditch a hobby I would be more than happy to keep your boat for you :smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.