matzell's 4runner "mod class" build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 42081
matzell's 4runner "mod class" rebuild

Well after going to KOH and seeing the new EMC classes I was convinced I could turn my 85 4runner into a mod class racer and finish the race. I know it will never be the fastest, especially on leaf springs but the f-toys have been doing it for years, look at Hobie.
I got to co-drive with David Smiley last fall in the Badlands quailifier. We did good in prerunning and the car was doing great. Once the race started the rush was on! Unfortunalty we had a bad wreck and did not finish the race. One of my wifes first questions was "Do you still want to race?" While laying in the hosptial bed I said "yes" She said OK!
For Christmas this past year she bought me some PRP Comp highback seats and new PRP harness. She said you better get busy if you want to race this season. So I started to think about how to re-do the truck to handle the speeds and how to meet the rules for Mod class. The first thing I knew I had to do was take off my 39 red labels and buy some dot 37's. Well this may sound easier than it is but how to you take off red labels? I started focusing on other aspects of the truck like mounting my new seats in.
I printed off all the rules for Ultra 4, stock, modifed and Rausch Creek. I figured I could race at RC with the 39's because they did not have classes. Well recently they anounced they would follow the Ultra 4 rules and have stock and mod classes as well as unlimited. So the decision was made to try to race.

I know this is not too much more than a trail rig but I think that is what Dave had in mind when he made the new classes. I plan to still drive this on the road to prerun and tune, now that I have dot tires back on it. It will never be the high end Poison Spider car or the stock Savvy/Currie build but I hope that it proves to be reliable and able to finish races and still be a fun weekend trail ride rig.

The truck started out bone stock when I bought it back in 1997 and had been wheeled all over the country ever since, coast to coast. It competed in the Safari Triathlon in Ocola in 1999, 2000 and the Tennessee Off-Road challenge in 2000, 2001. It has taken a beating over the years and has gone through many stages and changes to what it is today. I wanted to take all the good parts and build a new rig this year but my wife said" you can not take Ole Bessy and put her out in the field, she has been too good to you for all these years. You should modify her and go racing" Now you would have to know my wife and her horse background. She has a show horse and would never think of putting it down. So I took her advise and started to change things up.

Here are some specs on the truck. There are still changes to be made.

1985 Toyota 4runner
Chevy 4.3 built by Progressive Performance est 280 hp, 300 ft
4l60 trans built by Patrick GMC
NWF Blackbox
NP205 with 32 spline outputs, NWF triple shifters, HAD flanges
D60 front, 5:38's, ARB, Yukon/Branik shafts, Poly flanges
14b rear 5:38's, Detroit, disk
17" raceline monster beadlocks 37" blue label krawlers
Full exo cage 1 1/2, 1 3/4 dom
custom trailgear/allpro springs
PSC hydro assist
PRP comp highback seats and harness
Warn xd9000i winch
Attached Images

Sponsors welcome

like "Matzell Motorsports" on Facebook

Matzell Motorsports #4573
Thanks to: BFG, Bilstein, PRP, PSC, Raceline wheels, Reid Racing, Warn, Independent4x, Liquid Iron Industries, Coppertree Construction, Ruffstuff, Willow Lawn Service Center

Last edited by matzell; 12-06-2012 at 06:07 PM.
matzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 42081
This is the truck that gave me inspiration at this years EMC race.
Attached Images

Sponsors welcome

Thanks to: BFG, Bilstein, PRP, PSC, Raceline wheels, Reid Racing, Warn, Independent4x, Liquid Iron Industries, Coppertree Construction, Ruffstuff, Willow Lawn Service Center

Last edited by matzell; 03-24-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 42081
old seats out and new frame and seats going in.
Attached Images

Sponsors welcome

Old 03-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 42081
Off with the 39's and new 37's installed. I picked up some old school Goodyears for spares. Nothing like using the parts truck from work to get the tires home.
Attached Images

Sponsors welcome

Old 03-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 39457
Good luck. The biggest advise I can give is get some good remote reservoir shocks and have someone tune them. It made a huge difference in the performance of my truck on leafs at koh this year.
KOH Toyota Pickup #4680
New Fishmouth Fabworks Ultra 4 in the works!
gostr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 42081
I am going to lower the truck down a little but want to make sure I still have plenty of up travel. I would love to get some new air bumps to help with the suspension. Coil overs and links would be nice but not in the budget.
My wife got me a new Art Carr shifter for my birthday so now I can get solid shifts without missing one, nothing like going from 3rd-1st. I am hoping to be able to race the east coast races in 2:1 low range. I am sure I will run out of talent and suspenion before I reach top speed! If I need lower I can shift the black box (2:72) into low range and really crawl. My goal will to be to finish races then work on my speed/suspension. I know the 14b will be a big anchor but it is shaved smooth and slides over rocks pretty well, plus the RC races are going to be set up for min 35" tires.

I still have a lot of parts to install and get some window nets as well as build some new tube doors that will mount solid to the exo-cage for a smooth surface to slide across, having trees on the east coast they will help.

I do not have a date set for my first race but I want the truck ready first and see how it does, no since being a trail plug. If it goes well I will try to make it out to KOH 2013 and give it a run.

Sponsors welcome

Old 03-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 42081
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostr8 View Post
Good luck. The biggest advise I can give is get some good remote reservoir shocks and have someone tune them. It made a huge difference in the performance of my truck on leafs at koh this year.
I am looking into those now. Nothing but $$. I am thinking getting some that I can add coils to later if I decide to link it later on. It will all come down to what I can afford. Sponsors???

Sponsors welcome

Old 03-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
nice roach.

Member # 3377
Send a message via AIM to jhama78
Good Luck Rob!

85 Roach Build Thread

84 Toy Farm Beater
85 Toy Trail Roach
85 Toy SR5 xcab DD
88 4Runner Fambly Beach Ride
11 Tundra Double Cab Rock Warrior
jhama78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28177
Going from 39 reds to 37" blues should be illegal make sure the speedo works on this one looking good!
whypave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 39457
I got some fox 2.0 smooth body remote reservoirs. The best part was that fox did free tuning on them before my EMC race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzell View Post
I am looking into those now. Nothing but $$. I am thinking getting some that I can add coils to later if I decide to link it later on. It will all come down to what I can afford. Sponsors???
KOH Toyota Pickup #4680
New Fishmouth Fabworks Ultra 4 in the works!
gostr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
Best of luck! Looking forward to seeing you up at the RCRocs races!
GET INVOLVED - Join the Blue Ribbon Coalition

'93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500 NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 176K
'85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 42081
Quote:
Originally Posted by whypave View Post
Going from 39 reds to 37" blues should be illegal make sure the speedo works on this one looking good!
Tell me about it, it was a sad day when they left. Yes spedo works! I do not know if it is acurate yet. I don't need that there are no jumps at RC!!

Sponsors welcome

Old 03-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 46175
Glad to see the old 4Runner is still going. - Matt
Old 03-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20304
Send a message via AIM to BarrelRoll
Nice build. Gota love it that some one is starting on a build before thanks giving. If there's one thing I've learned running Baja Pits at KOH it's Prep and spares is the differance between finishing and not.
BarrelRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 42081
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelRoll View Post
Nice build. Gota love it that some one is starting on a build before thanks giving. If there's one thing I've learned running Baja Pits at KOH it's Prep and spares is the differance between finishing and not.
Between already having a running rig and having 10 months to modify and fine tune I hope to have it ready. I will carry spare parts and it has a Premier Power welder onboard should I need to do some field repairs.

I hope to make a few races at RC to test things out at speed. I still have a lot of little things to do. I got a box from Summit with catch cans, locking oil and trans dipsticks that need to be installed. I am planning on removing the doors and adding removable sections to the exo-cage to cover those and then I need to order some window nets.

I finished up the new shifter mounts and welded in my tabs for the harnesses this weekend. I should have the interior back in and be able to test drive it in a few days.

Sponsors welcome

Last edited by matzell; 03-26-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Creepy

Member # 71034
Looks good, Rob. I hope to see this thing out at RC soon. Are you going to make it up to the Boulder Bash this weekend?
Amato Motorsports #099

4x4Play Clothing, Justice Racing Engines, Black Hat Fabrications, East Coast Gear Supply, Inner Air Lock, Cut Throat 4x4, SteelMX Optics
amatoer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 26750
Can't wait to see you out there! You have my # if I can help you out in any way! We need to keep those young fellers on their toes
broncolou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 38006
Highjack

anymore info on the orange truck?
Old 03-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 103062
Looking good, get it ready so I have someone to race against at RC
Rockhound Racing #222 Driver
RCRocs
Ultra4 Modified class
AtoZ Fabrication, Clayton Offroad, Quadratec, Dave's Offroad Supply, Rausch Creek Offroad Park, Extreme Axle, Radflo, Brown Dog Offroad,

http://www.facebook.com/RockhoundRac...houndRacing222
Rockhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pathfinder

Member # 16125
All the best on the build and racing Rob!

You will be sorely missed as a KOH volunteer but it is great to see you racing. Thanks for all your help in the past with Film Crew/VIP transport!

I just realized, KOH will probably lose more than just you as a volunteer from VA since you will need a crew too. Time for you guys to move on and for others to step up. Enjoy!

Subscribed.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
TurtleTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #21 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 27286
Send a message via AIM to toyotanuts
looking good.
toyotanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 42619
Send a message via AIM to ne14jpn
Looking good Rob. I sent the cell with Scott this weekend.
Miller Motorsports #4421
www.millerrockracing.com
ne14jpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 121053
Mmm... those seats look familiar.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 42081
Thanks for the kind words. I got the shifters and mounts installed, seats reinstalled and realized I forgot to weld the taps in for the submerine belt so I need to pull the seats back out and weld them in. I need to rebuild the bushings in the front springs and it will be ready for a test drive. I did sit in it and make vrooom noises tonight and played with the new shifter!

I may try to take it up to Berryville this weekend at the boulderbash. I need to check it over good first and test drive it down some alleys or coblestone roads here in the city, gotto love old streets.

Sponsors welcome

Old 03-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 42081
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTruck View Post
All the best on the build and racing Rob!

You will be sorely missed as a KOH volunteer but it is great to see you racing. Thanks for all your help in the past with Film Crew/VIP transport!

I just realized, KOH will probably lose more than just you as a volunteer from VA since you will need a crew too. Time for you guys to move on and for others to step up. Enjoy!

Subscribed.
Mark,

If I race in the EMC then I should be free for the big race day! If the rig holds up??

It has been great being a volunteer for the past 3 years. I will try not to steal too many of the VA guys from you.

Sponsors welcome