Air Shock or Coil Over - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Member # 161191
Posts: 23
Air Shock or Coil Over

Hello

Need some help from the suspension gurus, I have a competition Jeep with Fox Air Shox 2.0 16" work perfect for a mile but start heating and simple no more shock and I want to use it in longer trails maybe 4 or 5 hours in mountain trails.

Want to change to King's Pure Race Class 2.0 or 2.5 or 3.0 coilover 18" with reservoir may be with this options:

PR2.5x18 coil over’s W/ springs
PR2.5x18 Coil Over W/ Springs W/ Adjuster
PR2.5x18 Coil Over W /Springs W/ (IBP) Internal Bypass
PR2.5x18 Coil Over W/ Springs W/IBP & Adjusters

If I change to coilover will be less rock crawler competitive

What of this 4 options of coilover will really help me

Thanks folks I will apreciate any advice to this novice rock crawler

Jeep CJ7 1981 "El Pollito", D44 with Yukon 4.88, Eaton Elocker, Atlas 4SP ratios 1:1, 2.7:1, 4.3:1, 11.5:1, Fox Airshox 2.0 16", TF 727 with low RPM torque converter, AMC 258 with some upgrades, MSD complete Kit, LP & Gasoline kit, Goodyear Kevlar MTR 33" with bedlocks rims 15" 6x5.5 wide 7", front 3 link and rear 4 link long arms with currie JJ 2.5", front and rear winch warn 9.5 Ti, rear independent brakes, 2 extra winchs 2000 lb in rear and front axles to control height, chromoly all axles, 8 Rigid led dispersion pattern 60o for night crawling, etc etc.

Last edited by vamack; 04-23-2012 at 11:32 PM.
vamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
Rockhnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member # 103062
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 346
I really dont see a need for anything bigger than a 2" by 14" for a Jeep. My TJ has plenty of flex, runs on 37's, and has 14" shocks. The TJ works very well in competition.
Now, if you are doing a lot of speed I can see stepping up to 2.5", but it will take a lot of room to package them compared to your air shocks.
Any of those coilovers will be better than your air shocks, but you will need to figure out tuning to get the most out of them.

Good luck and enjoy!
__________________
Jay Hopko
Rockhound Racing #222 Driver
RCRocs
Ultra4 Modified class
Thanks:
AtoZ Fabrication, Clayton Offroad, Quadratec, Dave's Offroad Supply, Rausch Creek Offroad Park, Extreme Axle, Radflo, Brown Dog Offroad,

http://www.facebook.com/RockhoundRac...houndRacing222
Rockhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Member # 161191
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhnd View Post
I really dont see a need for anything bigger than a 2" by 14" for a Jeep. My TJ has plenty of flex, runs on 37's, and has 14" shocks. The TJ works very well in competition.
Now, if you are doing a lot of speed I can see stepping up to 2.5", but it will take a lot of room to package them compared to your air shocks.
Any of those coilovers will be better than your air shocks, but you will need to figure out tuning to get the most out of them.

Good luck and enjoy!
Thanks for the information, I want to go to 2.5 because in future proyect will change D44 to D60 and tire 39", also bigger diameter more oil and more help to get less heat.

The tuning is something that I have to learn.
vamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
hurleygo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Member # 80862
Location: Orange County
Posts: 4,596
I say ditch three of the four winches.
hurleygo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Piggin' Ain't Easy
 
TBItoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Member # 43587
Location: Cookeville, TN
Posts: 4,200
Send a message via AIM to TBItoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleygo3 View Post
I say ditch three of the four winches.
I'd say he's not in the US by the way his posts read.


They don't go "4wheelin" overseas, they go "4winchin"

But yeah, they all have lots of winches....
TBItoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Member # 154867
Location: OK
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBItoy View Post
I'd say he's not in the US by the way his posts read.


They don't go "4wheelin" overseas, they go "4winchin"

But yeah, they all have lots of winches....
His parts list appears to show 4 winches.

Sent from my phone
OHV Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God
 
JayMcJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Member # 111999
Location: West Olive, MI
Posts: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHV Wildcat View Post
His parts list appears to show 4 winches.

Sent from my phone
you're good at reading.
JayMcJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Member # 154867
Location: OK
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcJay View Post
you're good at reading.
What am I missing here? It says he's got two 9500lb winches, and two 2000lb winches. Am I missing something obvious?

Sent from my phone

Last edited by OHV Wildcat; 04-25-2012 at 11:34 AM.
OHV Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Moderator
 
apeters89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Member # 7647
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 8,110
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHV Wildcat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcJay View Post
you're good at reading.
What am I missing here? It says he's got two 9500lb winches, and two 2000lb winches. Am I missing something obvious?

Sent from my phone
Don't appear to be missing anything.

Why the fascination with his winches
__________________
Check out our new Team Ape Eater Racing Like us on FaceBook
KF5EQF

Sniper Fab
4x4Oil SBwinVPS Custom Splice C2GFab
apeters89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
Master-Pull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Member # 146603
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 889
Their should be more fascination with is wenches.
__________________
Master Pull Recovery Gear - The World Leader In Synthetic Rope
10% PBB discount

http://www.MasterPull.com
-- Recovery Gear of the 10 and 11 Griffin KOH -- Official Recovery Gear of Cal-Neva Extreme and Area BFE in Moab
Master-Pull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Member # 161191
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeters89 View Post
Don't appear to be missing anything.

Why the fascination with his winches
Hi

And yes have 4 winch, 2 of 9,500 lb in front and rear to take me out from a dificult trail and another 2 of 2,000 lb to control the shocks, this two we use most when we are extreme rock crawl and need to release and gain more ground clearance in the flat bottom or pull when need to avoid a roll over.

Sorry for the bad grammar and spelling.... Enghish i s not my first language.
vamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God
 
climbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Member # 161770
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Pull View Post
Their should be more fascination with is wenches.
really? their? really?


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
'you just got wenzeled BITCH'
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampas View Post
Not knowing that over 50,000 random 4-wheelers are viewing your wet coochielips; priceless.
climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God
 
climbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Member # 161770
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamack View Post
Hi

And yes have 4 winch, 2 of 9,500 lb in front and rear to take me out from a dificult trail and another 2 of 2,000 lb to control the shocks, this two we use most when we are extreme rock crawl and need to release and gain more ground clearance in the flat bottom or pull when need to avoid a roll over.
makes sense to me.

Quote:
Sorry for the bad grammar and spelling.... Enghish i s not my first language.
no worries, clearly its not for most in this thread
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
'you just got wenzeled BITCH'
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampas View Post
Not knowing that over 50,000 random 4-wheelers are viewing your wet coochielips; priceless.
climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God
 
JayMcJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Member # 111999
Location: West Olive, MI
Posts: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHV Wildcat View Post
What am I missing here? It says he's got two 9500lb winches, and two 2000lb winches. Am I missing something obvious?

Sent from my phone
Nope. You were just the third consecutive post referencing his 4 winches.

Anyhow...back to the topic at hand...
JayMcJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
Master-Pull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Member # 146603
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbit View Post
really? their? really?


Quote:
Originally Posted by climbit View Post

no worries, clearly its not for most in this thread


I fail. I'll go back to Chit Chat now.

-Alex
__________________
Master Pull Recovery Gear - The World Leader In Synthetic Rope
10% PBB discount

http://www.MasterPull.com
-- Recovery Gear of the 10 and 11 Griffin KOH -- Official Recovery Gear of Cal-Neva Extreme and Area BFE in Moab
Master-Pull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Member # 161191
Posts: 23
Pictures and videos Rock Crawl Mexico

Hello here are some links with pictures and videos of mi rig El Pollito

Pictures
http://www.ajeepear.com/foros/index.php?showtopic=27821

Videos
http://www.ajeepear.com/foros/index.php?showtopic=27828
vamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.