Kenny Blume's finally going fast..... Ultra 4 build thread - Page 18 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #426 (permalink)

Member # 1636
That's a nice switch, I like the position too. I was looking at the Speartech TUTD switch, but it seems a little salty at $150 for a few feet of wire, a tiny 2 way switch, and a plastic box with a couple resistors in it. I guess I need to do more research on this!
chris demartini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #427 (permalink)
Matt Messer

Member # 39978
I like the progress Kenny...get that car done!
ACE-CAGE-#29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #428 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28177
Just look farther back in this thread. I provided a diagram on the 3 resistors needed to wire the double pole double throw momentary switch of your choosing. One resistor goes inline to a 12 volt signal from the switch to tap up and the second resistor does the same for tap down. the third restistor cuts down 12 volts and is always running to pin 7 on the tranmission. when I bring down your 6l80 to RC, I can bring the three resistors and a nice long piece of wire with the 6L80 pin to push it into pin 7 on the 6l80 harness. then you can run that back to wherever and wire up your switch.

I suppose I could make a 20 buck kit for people to wire up their own setup and take the guess work out of the resistors and make it so you don't need to buy a metric pack crimper to make up the wire end at the trans plug but I have no idea what market there is for that. I did something similar for Ken and sent it to his wiring guy out in Cali (I think he was).

Ken and Drew are using one of the switches I describe below. Its very heavy duty and expensive new but the plccenter site has various used options.

The other slightly different switch to the first one I linked below is the 800TT2H3EEXX and the difference is just in the screw terminals. the rockwell automation site explains what all the options to that switch are.

I am pretty confident that the 800T-T2H3AAXX by ALLEN BRADLEY - Buy or Repair at PLCCenter - PLCCenter.com switch is the replacement for the switch I am using with the screws to attached wires to in better locations. both a new and surplus version is listed.

The pictures on their site aren't great so you may want to call them to ask for larger pictures and more of them to ensure the contacts are what you want and that switch is momentary in both directions these are pretty beefy switches so they have many options on how to order them as you can see on this page.

http://raise.rockwellautomation.com/...E&PID=800T-T2H

it can be momentary one way but held on in the other and a bunch of contact options etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris demartini View Post
That's a nice switch, I like the position too. I was looking at the Speartech TUTD switch, but it seems a little salty at $150 for a few feet of wire, a tiny 2 way switch, and a plastic box with a couple resistors in it. I guess I need to do more research on this!
whypave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #429 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
It's for a 4L80, the last two positions are not used/neededu have D, which tends to upshift pretty fast or M which provided tap shifting. I have a column mounted switch,
800T-T2H3AAXX

Manufactured by ALLEN BRADLEY

TOGGLE SWITCH TWO-WAY UP/DOWN

Pic of it on page 16

David smiley and the Shirley's got me pointed in the right direction. Matt @ 12V unlimited tweaked my harness to tie into pin 7 of the tranny harness. Driving rental cars w same tranny (lucked into it, got some seat time) it will downshift automatically in manual mode if u screw up.... so it appears there is no way for a second gear launch. I've always geared my stuff a little taller anyway and never really felt the need for a second gear launch, but that's me.
with EFI Live you can easily program the tap shift mode to not downshift or up shift unless you want it to. You set the speeds it tap shifts at to 0 or up to 150mph depending on upshift or downshift to get the nanny out of the way. The main table is the one shown below but there are some others as well for full throttle tap shifting and tables when the trans is hot. If you are working with someone on the tuning I can chat with them about it once you've got the setup going. Or if you are shipping the TCM/VB to them.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #430 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12158
Thanks again David.... Pretty sure I'll be using sho me speed in springfield. So I can set shift parameters for tap shift to diiot prrof things? Can i set it for a second gear start if wanted? shift to M, tap up once commence holeshot?

I lucked out and found a display switch on ebay for $28 shipped. I think you should make your kits up and make a little racer/diesel cash.....

Racer will be lonely til sunday, quick biz trip then off to a SRRS race in AL, promod is going to be a hill climbing wannabee (it climbs great, fast is debatable)
Team #192/4192

Thanks to our partners

Maxxis, Trail-Gear, Yukon Gear, Goatbuilt, Tom Woods Custom Driveshafts, Ruffstuff specialties, Warn Winch, Rokit Enterprises, Viair, Edge Perf., Branik Motorsports, PRP seats, 12V unlimited, Bailie built, Alltech, Raceline
Go2Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #431 (permalink)

Member # 5326
How many separate shift brackets/tables are avaliable with the 6l80?

Is there any way to use a 'tow/haul' switch to open up a few more options?

I am basically thinking that you would have a factory setup for both the automatic position and tap shift function. Then flip a switch (tow/haul button) and have a 'race' programmed automatic table with some more aggressive tables, and a full manual start and stop in any gear tap shift table....

So....basically 4 different styles of shift schedules?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #432 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28177
I'm not to sure on that. It would seem possible but I think the tow/haul signal may come across the can-bus or via the body control module(bcm) and not be a discrete 12 volt switched signal like you might hope.

I don't think most people would really need all those options. you'd be surprised how well the 6l80 shifts by itself and then the tap shifting mode lets you do your own thing. I am sure it could be perfected further to a given drivers tastes if they spent the time tuning and driving and dialing it in.

In my opinion the bigger plus with this transmission is the closely spaced ratios and the fact that ultra 4 teams are now proving this trans can stand up to build LS engines for 10 or more races a season STOCK. This is a transmission that has twice the gears of a th400 and is 7/8ths of an inch longer.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #433 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28177
[QUOTE=Go2Guy;17183290]Thanks again David.... Pretty sure I'll be using sho me speed in springfield. So I can set shift parameters for tap shift to diiot prrof things? Can i set it for a second gear start if wanted? shift to M, tap up once commence holeshot?
QUOTE]

Yes you should be able to do exactly that. Good find on the switch.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:58 AM   #434 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8540
Quote:
Originally Posted by whypave View Post
I suppose I could make a 20 buck kit for people to wire up their own setup and take the guess work out of the resistors and make it so you don't need to buy a metric pack crimper to make up the wire end at the trans plug but I have no idea what market there is for that.
The 6L80 is becoming more readily available, and it's popularity seems to be growing. I think there is/will be a market for it. If I understand you correctly, this tap shifter would replace he need for a MVB, but still allow you to drive it like a normal automatic transmission?

Is there a way, or have you produced, some type of indicator to let you know what gear you are in? Some type of confirmaton that you are launching in 2nd or 3rd gear?
92YJ/2.5L/HD4:1D300/F&R D44/5:38/36 SX/99"WB

Nothing is stronger than stupid...
B.A.R.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #435 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.R.K View Post
The 6L80 is becoming more readily available, and it's popularity seems to be growing. I think there is/will be a market for it. If I understand you correctly, this tap shifter would replace he need for a MVB, but still allow you to drive it like a normal automatic transmission?

Is there a way, or have you produced, some type of indicator to let you know what gear you are in? Some type of confirmaton that you are launching in 2nd or 3rd gear?
Speartech has a fancy gauge package that will do it.

I think that the 'current gear' is available over the OBO2 port basically right? If so any of the universal OBO2 gauges would let you display this as one of the readings?
Old 04-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #436 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieser View Post
Speartech has a fancy gauge package that will do it.
Very cool system, but $$$
Gauges

Their tap shifter seems like a simple package, but I'd prefer the more robust switch that Whypave spec'd out.
6L80 Tap Shift Switch Box

Old 04-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #437 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Yeah....not cheap at all!

I have to wonder if there is something similar for a lot less money. If that data/code is available I don't see why any OBD2 type gauge couldn't be used....
Old 04-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #438 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28177
Drew Technologies : Introduction

the dashdaq above and the Racepak several racers have can gather data from the obdII port. they aren't any less expensive than the Speartech gauges but a lot more versatile.

I would assume a chip or circuit exists to read data off the can bus stream on the tan and tan black wires going to the obdII connector that could get the current gear and put it on a display, but doing that isn't something I'm familiar with offhand. You can certainly use the scan tool in EFI live to display the current gear while running but that isn't practical for daily use.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #439 (permalink)

Member # 130927
What about that app for phones and tablets I think is called torque? Does it display what gear your in? Doesn't it use the obd port?
chevcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #440 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 130403
Ken, who did your powdercoat?
SissyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #441 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
Send a message via AIM to inphobic
Congrats on a solid finish this weekend.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #442 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12158
Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyJeep View Post
Ken, who did your powdercoat?
I used Hughes Racing in west Siloam, happy with them.... I would think there's some closer to you in OKC??

Jake, thanks.... solid runs but each had a spot that held me up/time delays. I know i finished top half of the field.... but the scoring seems to be all jacked up, pulled down for review.... so i don't know exactly where we finished. We one-shotted the bonus climb nicely tho and most of the few who made it were taking a lot of time/stabs.
Team #192/4192

Thanks to our partners

Maxxis, Trail-Gear, Yukon Gear, Goatbuilt, Tom Woods Custom Driveshafts, Ruffstuff specialties, Warn Winch, Rokit Enterprises, Viair, Edge Perf., Branik Motorsports, PRP seats, 12V unlimited, Bailie built, Alltech, Raceline
Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #443 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12158
I'm getting to be like a lot of people.... more efforts on finishing the car and less on taking pics and updates. I started altering the to do list..... theres a secondary list for Ultra 4 needs that are NOT needed for shakedown runs or SRRS events. Target is to make the 5/11 SRRS event with a bit of seat time/test time before hand.

I've got the Promod set up as part of the Wal-Mart annual shareholders meeting.... early June, local and lots of exposure....but hopefully swapping in this car last minute with the blessing of the promoter etc.

no biz travel this week and home for the weekend.... so here we go. Next week is shot with biz travel and the WeRock Dayton event.
Attached Images

Team #192/4192

Thanks to our partners

Old 04-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #444 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12158
BTW, scaled the flyweight trailer, heavier than I thought, 888 lbs. ran it on a 22 hr round trip last weekend.... flawless performance, 2.5-3 mpg better than the enclosed which of course has considerably more weight/spares/aero drag.
Team #192/4192

Thanks to our partners

Old 04-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #445 (permalink)
Swamp Crawler

Member # 63692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
BTW, scaled the flyweight trailer, heavier than I thought, 888 lbs. ran it on a 22 hr round trip last weekend.... flawless performance, 2.5-3 mpg better than the enclosed which of course has considerably more weight/spares/aero drag.
What flyweight Trailer? I didn't see any trailers in this thread.....did I miss something?
Blase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #446 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12158
Page 3 and later in the thread
Team #192/4192

Thanks to our partners

Last edited by Go2Guy; 04-09-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #447 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blase View Post
What flyweight Trailer? I didn't see any trailers in this thread.....did I miss something?

Old 04-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #448 (permalink)
Swamp Crawler

Member # 63692
BAD ASS!!!!!!!
Blase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #449 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12158
stabbed the tranny and tcase, part of the front shaft is in.... a good eye will spot the anti-rotation tab tacked on the to the tranny cooler fitting. Bearing mount is designed such that if anything lets go it cant beat into the tranny.... all the pieces are pretty stout though, based on my promod use, I don't see breakage being an issue unless I get lazy on PM with the carrier bearing.
Attached Images

Team #192/4192

Thanks to our partners

Old 04-11-2013, 05:44 AM   #450 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12158
Plumbing the Alltech fuel system.... found these y's on ebay, like the integral #6 ends, simpler, lighter. one after the regulators to feed the engine, one to combine the return to the tank.

Looks like I might have some more help this weekend so things are looking up.
Attached Images

Team #192/4192

Thanks to our partners