Reid Racing Turbo 400 Build-Up for Jason Scherer by Maximum Transmissions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 23617
Reid Racing Turbo 400 Build-Up for Jason Scherer by Maximum Transmissions

Living locally to Reid Racing has made it really fun to stop in and see their products over the years. I switched to their Power-Glide case in Tiny over 10 years ago and not only was I impressed, I was also relieved to have the safety of the SFI rated case sitting inches from my legs when I would punished the crap out of it on Super Crawl climbs back in the day.

After having an almost comical tranny blowing problem ☺ last season I finally teamed up with a company that not only builds bas ass transmissions, the owner really cares about what he does and how you do at the race. Chris Gardner is the Rock-Sports version of the Rancho or Culhane transmission builder and his transmissions aren’t $18,000.

When the off-season (that isn’t that short anymore) came around I wanted to go through the transmission and see how it did after the race win in Texas. I had a few cracked transmissions cases this season and it wasn’t from poor mounts or non- “K” cases they just can’t handle the abuse. When we pulled this one out to ship it there was another hairline crack near the drum…and this was already Ultra Belled etc.

A quick call to Reid Racing and Geoff Beasley helped me get the parts needed and shipped the next day to Maximum Transmissions. The first thing Chris said when he saw the case was “Wholly crap this thing is bad ass, I bet it’s expensive!” But even though they are $1,599 they are one of those parts that you don’t have to deal with again and after having the transmission cost me a few race wins this year it was money well spent. After looking at the quality, you really feel like it’s a bargain.

Here are the pictures that show the build-up of this full race version TH400.

pic#1 DRIVETRAIN LAYOUT STRAIGHT CUT PLANETS 4L80E MAXIMUM'S INTERMEDIATE SOLID 300M SHAFT..
pic#2-- INSIDE OF THE RIED RACING .H.D OFFROAD BAD ASS CASE.. TORRINGTON BEARING ON BOTTOM REPLACING THE STOCK THRUST WASHER SET UP INSTALL OF LOW KEVLAR H.D. BAND
PIC#3AND 4... INSTALL THE DRIVETRAIN
PIC 5,6,7,8..INSTALL CENTER SUPPORT (REAR LUBE) and INTERMEDIATE CLUTCHES ..RAYBESTOS RACING FRICTIONS AND KOLEEN STEELS...
PIC# 9.10 11 12...INSTALL DIRECT CLUTCH HOUSING 34 ELEMENT INTERMEDIATE SPRAG.. KOLEEN STEELS ,RACE FRICTIONS RAYBESTOS BLUE. AND HIGH ENERGY KEVLAR BAND
PIC 13,14 15 16...INSTALLING THE FORWARD CLUTCH &CLUTCH HUB300M AND 300M INPUT SHAFT (TCS) STEELS RAYBESTOS RACING FRICTIONS... INSTALL INTO TRANS.. READY FOR PUMP..
PIC 17,18,19,20..INSTALL PUMP MACHINED FOR TORRINGTON BEARING..

-- 18, READY TO START VALVE BODY AREA ASSEMBLY.INSTALL MANUAL SHAFT AND PARK BRACKETS.. .. 19 , INSTALL LOW, REVERSE PISTON ASSEMBLY 20. INSTALL MANUAL VALVE BODY AND FILPIC 21.. PUT THE REID RACING SFI BELL HOUSING ON MATING CASE...( FIT PERFECTLY.. VERY IMPRESSIVE CASE TO WORK WITH (BAD ASS!!)..22. TRANS READY TO BE TESTED .. BUILT 2WD SO I CAN TEST IN TEST TRUCK ... 23 AFTER TESTING WENT FLAWLESSLY INSPECTED AND SWITCH BACK TO 4WD OUTPUT SHAFT..24 READY TO BE SHIPPED OUT TO KILL KOH!!!

(photos' in subsequent posts)

REID RACING, Inc.
1917 Oak Park Blvd.
Pleasant Hill, CA 94523
Tel: (925) 935-3025

MAXIMUM TRANSMISSIONS
17359 Darwin Ave Unit C
Hesperia, CA 92345
909-528-8901
MAXTRANS1@GMAIL.COM
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 23617
more pics
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 23617
part 3
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 23617
part 4
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 23617
final
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 23617
and a funny one
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 7647
I'm new to the aftermarket trans cases. What are the extra fluid ports on the side for?

Sniper Fab
4x4Oil SBwinVPS Custom Splice C2GFab
apeters89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 235275
Bad dude cases for sure!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 613
proably to pick up fluid pressure checks on the tranny.
odee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6576
I saw this case a little while back at Reid, and I have to say that the pictures don't do the craftsmanship any justice.... this thing looks nice enough to have in the living room
Rage 4th............ "safety is our #2 concern"
1uglyranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11448
Send a message via Yahoo to MNorby
Looks like returning cooler fluid into rear more of trans since the standard port is plugged.
MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 31362
Send a message via AIM to deke
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeters89 View Post
I'm new to the aftermarket trans cases. What are the extra fluid ports on the side for?
puts fluid into the known weak point area when you put the 4l80 shiat in it.

dem lugs
Old 01-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
party wagon

Member # 202878
maybe im just retarded...

is this the "bilstein" of trans cases?

DC METALWERX

Last edited by FordX4-offroad; 01-17-2013 at 07:12 PM.
FordX4-offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 127840
Been running A Maximum Racing TH400 for a few years now and also sell/ install there products on a regular basis. Great company to deal with and Chris has been a solid guy to work with.

Team 4506 Yukon-Bilstein-Maximum Transmission-STS
Pacific Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 23617
Quote:
Deke is right. When you put a solid 300m shaft in there you need to lube the planetary set. I'm sure Chris can answer any questions better if you call or text him.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 31362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ON THE RCKS View Post
Deke is right. When you put a solid 300m shaft in there you need to lube the planetary set. I'm sure Chris can answer any questions better if you call or text him.
I'm only a parrot.

For the record: I'd hang that case on my wall just to look at. It looks that good.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 79578
Not sure on this particular case, but I know on the later stock 4L80E's the planetaries get pressure lube returning from the cooler, from the center (using that rear port). TH400 basically has a line squirting fluid "at" them (coming from the valve body). You can interchange planetaries between the two, but not necessarilly shafts due to the center porting. The stock 4L80E shafts have holes through them for this reason.... probably why this one is 300M.

Last edited by sb406; 01-18-2013 at 08:44 AM.
sb406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 20872
Quote:
Originally Posted by ON THE RCKS View Post
When the off-season (that isn’t that short anymore) came around I wanted to go through the transmission and see how it did after the race win in Texas. I had a few cracked transmissions cases this season and it wasn’t from poor mounts or non- “K” cases they just can’t handle the abuse. When we pulled this one out to ship it there was another hairline crack near the drum…and this was already Ultra Belled etc.
Turbo 400 cases are notorious for cracks in the bellhousing area, the tailhousing area, and as in Jason's case, in the drum area. The OEM die cast cases (even the "K" cases) are thin and brittle, so they can only handle so much power and vibration before the fatigue causes them to crack. It doesn't matter how much money you put into high-end internals, the external case will always be a major weak link in a racing environment. Our heat-treated permanent mold A356-T6 aluminum castings were designed specifically to address the weaknesses in the factory design. We also added numerous other features to address the other known weak links in the OEM case:

Quote:
The additional fluid ports allow the Super Hydra 400 to use the 4L80-E center support and side oiler, which supplies additional oil to the rear planetary gear set. We machined these for -6 AN fittings because the lines are easy to route and flow plenty of fluid; restrictions in other areas of the case mean there's nothing to be gained by using larger -8 AN hoses, but you can certainly use -8 if you'd prefer.

The large gap in the circle of internal lugs that retain the center support and pressure plate is probably the weakest link in the original TH400 design. To allow economical manufacturing, GM left a large gap in the lugs that extends about a fifth of the way around the case. With high line pressures and abrupt shifts typical in racing applications, the lugs closest to the gap become overloaded and they fail. That sets off a chain reaction and all of the remaining lugs fail in a zipper-like fashion, ultimately resulting in a catastrophic failure of the transmission. As you can see in Jason's photos, we've redesigned this area of our SH400 case with larger, stronger, 360° lugs, and we include a new and improved pressure plate and snap ring to gake advantage of these improved lugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odee View Post
proably to pick up fluid pressure checks on the tranny.
We added threaded bosses to allow easy installation of pressure, temperature, and input & output shaft speed sensor ports for racers who are into data logging.

Since it's not just Chevy engines that have problems with weak transmissions behind them, we have bolt-on bellhousings for 7 different engine familes: Chevy BB, SB, LS, Buick/Olds/Pontiac, Ford BB, SB, Modular, Chrysler BB, SB, and Gen3 HEMI.

Somre more information about the Super Hydra 400 transmission cases can be found on our website and on this flyer.
race.mail@reidracing.biz
http://www.reidracing.biz
Built by racers for racers!
Made in the USA!
Reid Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 1170
Looking good!
Old 01-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 31362
How long until a 5.0 coyote bell housing?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 13471
I wish we had more companies like Reid Racing to work with. Everything they do is top of the line from innovation to customer service.
Salute!

Rage 4th "safety is our #2 concern"
raceanything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #22 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 20872
Quote:
Originally Posted by deke View Post
How long until a 5.0 coyote bell housing?
Good question. Ford actually uses the same bellhousing pattern for the new Coyote as they do for the Modular motors, so our BH050 bellhousing will allow both the Superglide and the Super Hydra 400® to bolt right up without an adapter midplate.
race.mail@reidracing.biz
http://www.reidracing.biz
Built by racers for racers!
Made in the USA!
Reid Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 94026
Short story: Stops this from just playing around and protects your A___. We asked for it and GOT IT!
Attached Images

ISDTBower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 120768
good choice going with Chris.

I got turned on to Chris and Maximum Trans last year when I blew a trans in between the LCQ and the big show. Chris built me a new 400, supplied a new converter, and ran it all in his test truck thursday morning, getting it to me in time to slap it in and go race. Without his help I never would have made the start line.

Since then, I had him rebuild that trans, build me a spare race 400, and rebuild 2 other transmissions for the raffle that Parker 4 Wheelers does.

He has my business from here on out.

Good luck this year Jason.
havasusprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #25 (permalink)
buy my AR Parts

Member # 108848
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasusprings View Post
good choice going with Chris.

I got turned on to Chris and Maximum Trans last year when I blew a trans in between the LCQ and the big show. Chris built me a new 400, supplied a new converter, and ran it all in his test truck thursday morning, getting it to me in time to slap it in and go race. Without his help I never would have made the start line.

Since then, I had him rebuild that trans, build me a spare race 400, and rebuild 2 other transmissions for the raffle that Parker 4 Wheelers does.

He has my business from here on out.

Good luck this year Jason.
I have the same story but two years in a row. The first year my trans was built by a drag guy and shit just wasn't right and kapow...

The second time we didn't space the torque converter off the flex plate so the engagement into the pump wasn't enough. Both times Chris Gardner stepped up to help us out. The second time was even after hours. Thanks Chris....

Jason, hopefully this tranny is to good even for you to blow.

Billet Rifle Systems
Billet AR15 80% Receivers
www.billet80.com
powthief19 is offline   Reply With Quote