Dodge Computer Reflashing? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Send a message via AIM to AgitatedPancake
Dodge Computer Reflashing?

So I've asked before and couldn't remember a definitive answer, is there anyone out there doing extensive reflashing to dodge computers? I know there are the DIY tuning packages like offered by SCT (SCT Performance - More Power! Less Fuel!), but I'm looking for someone who can delete the SKIM (Sentry Key Immobilizer Module), possibly evap (not necessary though as it's all still in place), and some other crap.

Or, actually if someone could remove all the automatic transmission stuff out of my current computer that would be awesome.

Backstory: I run a 2001 4.7 Grand Cherokee. I swapped a NV3500 out of a Dakota, been running it for years. I stripped out all the automatic transmission wiring, but still running the factory computer. It runs fine for the most part except the IAC valve acts funny so I keep it unplugged. I picked up a computer out of a 5 speed 4.7 dakota which seems to run the jeep fine, for the 3 seconds at a time I can hear it. It doesn't talk to the SKIM module in my jeep so it wont let it run.
Basically I have two computers, one needs the automatic transmission crap removed, OR, one needs the SKIM system removed.

Dovenosed 5 speed WJ on 9"s
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
mega hack!!

Member # 139150
contact this guy, he may know someone:

TBI CHIPS

edit: didn't the dakota's come with your engine and a manual trans?

Last edited by sjracer; 02-25-2013 at 11:47 AM.
sjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Piggin' Ain't Easy

Member # 43587
Send a message via AIM to TBItoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjracer View Post
contact this guy, he may know someone:

edit: didn't the dakota's come with your engine and a manual trans?

Yes... And in the post right above, he says he has one of those computers but needs the SKIM disabled on it so it will run.

TBItoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
mega hack!!

Member # 139150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBItoy View Post
Yes... And in the post right above, he says he has one of those computers but needs the SKIM disabled on it so it will run.

greg is way smart enough to figure out what i mean, but for you i will put it in simpler terms:
find a strippo work truck that had a v8 manual trans such as a ram1500 that may have not had ANY of that installed.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 26905
Greg,

Maybe check these guys out?
B & G Chrysler - Performance Tuning Solutions

Brett
BIG DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Piggin' Ain't Easy

Member # 43587
Send a message via AIM to TBItoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjracer View Post
greg is way smart enough to figure out what i mean, but for you i will put it in simpler terms:
find a strippo work truck that had a v8 manual trans such as a ram1500 that may have not had ANY of that installed.
It would still have a secure key.

They didn't make vehicles "less secure" or with regular old style keys just because it was a base model truck.
TBItoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Thanks so far everyone, I've got a few links to check out. Justin the Dodge computer I have was actually supposed to be a non-SKIM truck. I've heard that I fawked up by installing that computer, and trying to start my jeep for the first time with my old SKIM module still plugged into the jeep. People told me that can do something towards activating the skim even in a computer that never originally had it. Don't know for sure, but I also put a message in this thread to see if they have the ability to help me out

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...we-do-all.html

Brett I'll be poking around that link, and the TBI Chips link from Justin if these guys on pirate can't get it handled. How the heck have ya been man, still have the dub?

Old 02-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Member # 221423
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
Thanks so far everyone, I've got a few links to check out. Justin the Dodge computer I have was actually supposed to be a non-SKIM truck. I've heard that I fawked up by installing that computer, and trying to start my jeep for the first time with my old SKIM module still plugged into the jeep. People told me that can do something towards activating the skim even in a computer that never originally had it. Don't know for sure, but I also put a message in this thread to see if they have the ability to help me out

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...we-do-all.html

Brett I'll be poking around that link, and the TBI Chips link from Justin if these guys on pirate can't get it handled. How the heck have ya been man, still have the dub?
You are correct in that when you installed the PCM with the SKIM active it avtivated the SKIM module in your vehicle. I cannot disable it in your computer as we do the later model Dodge stuff. You might try getting a PCM out of a manual vehicle and removing you SKIm module. That should keep it from activating the SKIM in the manual PCM.

We write tunes for the following PCMs:
  • 03-05 Dodge SRT4 Neon
  • 03-06 PT Cruiser GT
  • 03-10 Dodge Ram 5.7L HEMI
  • 05-10 Ram 4.7L V8
  • 05-10 Charger, Challenger, Magnum, 300 V6/RT/SRT8
  • 05-10 Jeep Commander, Grand Cherokee, Rubicon HEMI/SRT8

WWW.SHO-MESPEED.COM
Facebook:Follow Us Here
417-485-2807
Specializing In LS1 Conversions - Custom Harness Work
Custom Tuning starting @$150
Sho-Me Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Low Range Drifter

Member # 7903
Yep, if you have skim and put a non-skim module in and key up, the new module will learn it.

Unfortunately I don't have my 2002 dakota computer or I'd send it to you. Mine was definitely non-SKIM, and per the research I did it was not available on that year dakota. I picked it up through car-part.com for < $100.

Sho-Me Speed: are those all NGC computers? I think the Pancake has a JTEC or JTEC+.

Oh, I talked with B&G and they seemed like good guys, but never actually took my jeep there to get tuned. I never asked about SKIM erase.

Other option is to have a dealer program the key if you still have SKIM module installed. Keeping it won't hurt you.

Last edited by JohnnyJ; 02-26-2013 at 07:53 PM.
JohnnyJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Interesting. So here's another question. If the computer actually learns the SKIM from the vehicle it's put into, wouldn't the fact that I'm using keys matched to the jeeps SKIM keep the skim in working form? Even though I was using the correct keys, I still had security shutdown.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Low Range Drifter

Member # 7903
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBItoy View Post
It would still have a secure key.

They didn't make vehicles "less secure" or with regular old style keys just because it was a base model truck.
2002 Dakota didn't have SKIM, so that's why he went with that module. I dunno about Ram trucks, never looked into them. They may not have because Chrysler mostly put skim on the models that could be shipped to Europe in the beginning since it was a euro-mandate and Chrysler is notoriously cheap.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Low Range Drifter

Member # 7903
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
Interesting. So here's another question. If the computer actually learns the SKIM from the vehicle it's put into, wouldn't the fact that I'm using keys matched to the jeeps SKIM keep the skim in working form? Even though I was using the correct keys, I still had security shutdown.
It's part of the anti-theft. They don't want a guy with a golden PCM going around stealing cars, so if a module that wasn't in a SKIM car is put into a SKIM car it will lock it down.

If you take it to the dealer and have them do the learn, then it will have a matched seed & key and you will be golden. Now you just have to find a dealership or anybody with a DRB (Chrysler scan tool) that's willing to work with you.

Or maybe someone will pipe in and say that the snap-on or another scan tool can do a seed/key learn, but I know dealers can do it.

In my TJ, we were able to pull the skim module and it used the Dakota module without issue. We were wondering if they had gotten smart and put it in another module, but the only thing left was that the tell tale for theft was on. No stalls after 3 seconds.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 54956
Send a message via AIM to motorcitydak
Dave at B&G performance is the best there is in the business for Chrysler stuff. Call him tho, do not email him. He will not respond to those. Wicked smart guy tho