Pirate 4x4 banner

Colossus Max (Euro Tire)

20K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  rock mafia 
#1 · (Edited)
Colossus Max (Foreign Tire)

This company needs to get their shit together and put out some American sizes and make some real money:

We need to write them letters and request a 37x12, a 40x13 and a 42 or 43x14 in 16.5 & 17" wheel sizes.

I know they would suck out west, but on easy coast trails they'd work... and especially for the loose dirt hill climbs the southern buggys do:

See less See more
#6 ·
I just read on Facebook, that these "Colossus" tires are all retreads...
and they're from Brazil, not Europe. My bad
I bet that there are several domestic ag-tire retreaders that would build a custom size on what ever carcass you want if you call around enough.

But, those tires don't look all that more agressive than a cut TSL or Bogger

#13 ·
Ok guys..

So, I am Brazilian so I can explain a little about that..

Here in Brazil is almost impossible to find tires for extreme off road ( Like Interco or Mickey T. for exemple) , So we could find only "small" ( 33" ~35") carcass from trucks and pick ups .Than a lot of companies used to retread these tires, to get a better performance on our muddy trails. looks strange, but here some people buy brand new tires and retread it in companies like colossus...

A couple amazing facts about Brazilian retread tires :

1- Most of people use then on highway .... I´ve seen a couple guys go over 60 mph in a couple CJ5´s with tehse tires.

2- Here is even harder to find axles bigger than a Dana44, so we got a lot of 19 splines running 37"´s:eek::eek:

A couple of brazilian off road :

Fenajeep 2012 - YouTube

#14 · (Edited)
Cool

Reminds me of a Sand tire. I bet they rock in loose material; but woe the day you hit a bit of hardpack. I tried a sand rear tire on my Enduro during a event in the panhandle (Pampa If i remember correctly). They ruled the grass covered dunes; but my next practice weekend in the caliche I stripped every lug off.

I think these would sell to the mud crowd.

These certinly would self clean.

#23 ·
the jist of what he said is that they have to get the carcass of the tires to begin with, which is not cheap, and its an expensive and highly taxed ordeal. i dont think there is any way to compete at 1300 per tire. they are NASTY as hell, but not 6500 a set of five nasty. thats more than a 54 TTC claw of stick sx's. i dont see it happening.

#24 ·
this is the last email he sent me

Sorry, my English is not very good...

So, we offer a warranty for one year to carcass and limited for our tread pattern. Of course that we need to do some analyses in product claimed as you know.

The price is for each tire. Unfortunately we know that is expensive out of Brazil but we have two problems: big size carcass is difficult to buy here (so expensive) and a lot of government taxes on our products.

We starting business oversea now and of course that we know products concurrent. But we are sure that we have a completely different high performance tire and it cost more than others for sure.

We have a very special cold retread process using only new tire as carcass. We bought a new tire and retread it - BFG carcass dot 2013!

Colossus max have:

- wear resistance premium rubber compound
- excellent unidirectional traction
- good for climb or down
- any kind of claw soil
- no high rpm required for clean ir self
- 40mm deep
- Up 20% light weight for tire the same size.
- Real size of carcass – ou 35” is more than 35” .

So, I know is difficult to us show all advantages without a test drive but fell free for ask your doubts. We are learning about your market too.

Tks,

Obrigado.

#25 ·
The tread depth if def almost DOUBLE that of a cut TSL, but looking at the photos above... Those same lugs on a TINY tire are visually gonna look larger, once that same tread was vulcanized into a large tire carcass, those lugs wont look nearly as deep.

I understand the cost, but $6000+ for 4 recaps is silly.

#26 ·
he has to buy tires in the US and have them shipped to Brazil, then modify them, then ship them back to North America. you thought that would be cheap?
there is an opportunity here. where is the cap made? can you buy the cap? plenty of tire recapping outfits in north america, and plenty of casings, but I have never seen a cool cap like that

#27 ·
Man, that´s the point...

They need to buy brand new tires to take off all te rubber and retread it.. the problem is : A 37~38" tire in Brazil is over U$$ 600... We have the greatest taxes in the world

Problem n. 2 : our laws do not allow anybody to buy used tires from other countries... So, no chance to get some bald 42/43" and retread it.... I´m not sure, but as I remember, to import a new tire, you need to give a propper end to a old one.

This kind of retread is called " hot", because they use a couple blocks of rubber as a cap and vulcanizate it.... ( I´m not sure if colossus do they tire like this) ... Nowadays we have ' cold" retread, like used on trucks , a good exemple are Vipal Ones :

VJ910 - Vehicles 4x4 - Precured Treads - Coverage - Tire retreading - Products - Borrachas Vipal

#28 ·
Quick translation

- wear resistance premium rubber compound
- excellent unidirectional traction
- good for climb or down
- any kind of claw soil "Clay Soil"
- no high rpm required for clean ir self
- 40mm deep
- Up 20% light weight for tire the same size.
- Real size of carcass – ou 35” is more than 35” .

Don't even get these around rocks. Those lugs will depart faster than a bus load of Nuns over the edge of a switchback in Mexico..

#33 ·
I know its an old thread but ...

Hi guys, yesterday I went trail riding with some members of South Florida Jeep Club and one of the guys had them on his TJ. They appeared to be about a 35" tire im guessing and were very nasty looking. He said they are caps on a BFG tire. He didn't say what he paid for them but im sure it was steep. He pulled several out of the muck and I was one of them and im on 37's. He had no problems all day. IMO, the lugs are dbl the depth of any ive seen here in the US. He said with the staggering of the lugs the ride is a bit choppy feeling. I would personally put up with that to know I can just cut out across a flag pond like he did. The tires performed flawlessly all day. Now to win the lottery:)

#34 ·
Hi guys, yesterday I went trail riding with some members of South Florida Jeep Club and one of the guys had them on his TJ. They appeared to be about a 35" tire im guessing and were very nasty looking. He said they are caps on a BFG tire. He didn't say what he paid for them but im sure it was steep. He pulled several out of the muck and I was one of them and im on 37's. He had no problems all day. IMO, the lugs are dbl the depth of any ive seen here in the US. He said with the staggering of the lugs the ride is a bit choppy feeling. I would personally put up with that to know I can just cut out across a flag pond like he did. The tires performed flawlessly all day. Now to win the lottery:)
You probably saw these.

Genius Tires

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.