Pirate 4x4 banner

Tubeless Inflation

1K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  gunracer1 
#1 ·
I tried finding info on what is commonly used to reseat the bead on tires. I've seen little rubber O-rings that make a temporary seal, then slip out. I've also seen these air horn looing things that blast air into the tire. I'm not interested in spraying my tire with ether and lighting it. I can think of a lot of better ways to use a $289 tire. :)

What do you guys use when your tires fall off on trail?

Diversified Tire in wasilla recomended using tubes on Goodyear/Apple/Titan tires to prevent problems with the beads faling off on buggies. Is this a good idea? It seems possible that at extremely low inflation that a slip of the tire could dammage the valve tube.

Grant

#2 ·
Most big tire places use "huffers", a small 5 gallon air tank with a handle and a large valve and pipe with a narrow end on it, it gets filled to about 160+psi then you place the nozzle at the edge of the wheel surface and FWOOSH tire is seated (typically)

With typical truck tires though usually you can seat the beads w/your foot if you stand it up and push hard enough, remove the valve core from the stem while attempting to air up and you should be fine.

#3 ·
Most big tire places use "huffers", a small 5 gallon air tank with a handle and a large valve and pipe with a narrow end on it, it gets filled to about 160+psi then you place the nozzle at the edge of the wheel surface and FWOOSH tire is seated (typically)
I have done this before on my tires and it works as long as the rims are no larger than 10". For bigger I have tried many things- strapping a heavy duty rachet strap on the tire and filling it with air, and if the gap was still a bit too big I filled the gap with some liquid nails. You can drill a couple holes in your rims and put short screws in the tire and then push on the opposite side and that wiill garuantee success. Wide rims suck.-oh well hope maybe this gives you some ideas.

#6 ·
I have had good luck seating beads on tires up to 44s with my CO2 tank - if it's not too bad I can even do it without jacking the truck up - Crank the regulator up to 160psi, pull the valve stem and apply CO2. I have even seat tires that lost both beads - although in case, sometimes a ratchet strap is needed.

Jackie

#8 ·
i'll never try any other way other than starting fuild, ether or any other bead bomb fuel. it works too well, and is too easy. although it is dangerous, it is very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. there are precautions to take when you do this. 1. fire extiguisher,will never need it but just in case. 2 chain or strap the tire down, a little to much fuel in a BIG tire and it can bounce(only happened once).3 don't stick the lighter down in the tire to light the fuel, use the fuel as a flame thrower to get some distance. other than that do all the things you would do like cleaning and beating the rim strait. just my 2 dollars worth

#9 ·
Is it common to remove the valve core for increased flow? Anyone built a huffer/puffer thing? Might be worth getting one of those porta-air tanks and a gate valve from home depot. :D

I bought the Australian tire pliers and some spoons from six robblees. I got tires on and off rims, and now all I have is a half dozen flat bead-broken tires. :mad:

Good thing they're all garbage anyway...

Grant

#10 ·
I built one from an old propane bottle. I attached a 3/4" short nipple then a 3/4-1" bushing and a 1" ball valve for quick opening. After that a short length of 1" pipe with the end flattened a bit. The 3/4" nipple has a hole drilled and tapped for 1/8"NPT and a Schrader valve screwed in for filling. I fill to 125-130psi and it works quite well. Just be prepared because when you open the valve, the bottle pushes back quite a bit. I put it against my chest and lean into it.

#11 ·
After removing the wheel from the rig, put it a few feet in front of a vehicle with a winch. Take the winch cable and wrap it once around the tire, along the tread. Then take the winch hook and hook it on something solid further in front. Tighten the cable to squeeze the tire out so that it contacted the rim bead.

Air it up........;)

HTH

#15 ·
Toyman said:

And that's exactly why they keep coming off!
He's right, you want something that will lube it while you are seating and inflating the tire and will dry to provide a good no-slip grip on the wheel and tire.

#16 ·
Hoyden said:
I have had good luck seating beads on tires up to 44s with my CO2 tank - if it's not too bad I can even do it without jacking the truck up - Crank the regulator up to 160psi, pull the valve stem and apply CO2. I have even seat tires that lost both beads - although in case, sometimes a ratchet strap is needed.

Jackie
I've had the same luck, on a bad sidehill in the woods at 3.5psi (trying out the locks for the first time) I lost both inside beads on the downhill side :eek: :eek: , pulled onto level ground, yanked both cores, cranked the regulator up past 160 and opened the ball valve, fwoosh, up they went.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.