Pirate 4x4 banner

Savvy/Currie KOH Mod JK

210K views 820 replies 109 participants last post by  Provelogear 
#1 ·
Savvy Off Road and Currie Enterprises once again have teamed up to contest the 2014 King of the Hammers Everyman Challenge and Unlimited Race (if we can.) The two time winning Jeep Wrangler LJ has been sold to a gentleman in Las Vegas. He plans on racing the LJ in 2014 KOH EMC. I just hope he doesn't kick our butts.

The LJ build is here: Savvy/Currie KOH EMC LJ

After getting beat but then finding out that we won the 2013 race, we decided to build a car that was more capable in the rocks. As the co-dawg it was the hardest day of my entire life. Out of shape and having to run up numerous trails, it wasn't a hard decision for me to commit to building a more capable car. Looking at the rules we decided on what you will see here.

We are trying to build a rig that will be competitive in the EMC and be able to finish strong in the Big race on Friday.

John Currie, John Rocha, Casey Currie, Currie Enterprises, Savvy Off Road all contribute to the building of the next generation KOH Mod Rig

Pictures say a thousand words:

New LS3 376/480 - 4L85e Supermatic - Atlas 3.0 Fitting the t-case to tranny

The overall package is a couple inches longer than the TH400

Square tube fame

Finally on the table

RockJock HP60s this time. We feel if next years race is anything like this years race we need our driveshafts up.

See less See more
#8 ·
Tried to use Goat Built's PS pump and alternator kit but the PS is too low for us. The upper link gets up into the pulley. We used Bomber Fab's alternator kit and PSC's pump and bracket with good success on the LJ so we are going with it again.

#23 ·
exciting build. I will be following this one.

the tig work is great.

#24 ·
The steering took a long time to get perfect. I see why we all do full hydro instead of assist. Making everything fit, be able to steer good and have good travel is a lot of work!

We were hoping to only notch the frame on the passenger side but it didn't work out that way with all of the up travel we want.

#29 ·
Not much further. We just finished the front end today. We will be sending the front axle down to Currie for them to install the new truss system, weld it all together, gear set, locker, make shafts and install the brakes.

#30 ·
We chose the JK box so we could have a forward facing pitman arm. With assist i'm not worried about the sector shaft.

Looks pretty sweet Gerald. I'll be by Curries tomorrow. Care if I stop by and take a few pics:D
I usually get to the shop around noon after work. Call me to see if I'm around stop by before we send the axle to Currie. The steering cool.

#39 ·
LOL...You learn to deal with it and go have a great time with what your running! This will be a great build and big $$$$ but that's racing, so I'm told!

I am just happy they started showing pix. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.