Pirate 4x4 banner

"Black Betty" the 555/TTF Unicorn build

93K views 359 replies 100 participants last post by  pennsylvaniaboy 
#1 · (Edited)
Re-Introducing The Unicorn that no one loved.

An epic IFS build that changed owners, and moved shops before the most unlikely of individuals came together to help her realize the purpose she was brought into this world to accomplish. That is to kill whoops, rocks, dirt, savings accounts, college funds and credit cards. :laughing:

Some may recall DSI (Dave Schneider) of TrentFab fame starting an IFS build a few years ago, then it faded and went away. Knowing DSI for all these years and loving his foresight for the car, I like many others were saddened when he stopped updating his thread, which is now just a memory since it got lost somewhere along the way.

DSI approached me about getting back into offroad racing, and I said “NO”, I think it was more like “Hell no” but details details. New kids, demanding job, a landspeed car and friends that had suckered me into Lemons racing. Money and time were not on my side. Well like the good rapist he is, DSI never takes no for an answer. He planted the bug. I thought on it, and a month or so later he called me up again talking about it. After an exchange of emails, and too many talks and texts not to be dating, a deal was struck to buy the roughed out chassis and grandiose plan. Huge thanks to Bryan Gillespie for riding out to Albakirkey (ABQ) to meet DSI at a point that wasn’t Reno.

As I mentioned this poor unicorn, and not for lack of people loving her, just wasn’t getting built. The car started at Trent Fab, and will be finished by EzRick Mooneyham at Trick Toys Fabrication in Lake Havasu City. It really took the stars aligning and Ricks undying quest for personal punishment to take the broad outline for a Unicorn that DSI had come up with, and expounding a million fold to what she will become.

Specifications:
2" .120 wall DOM main chassis
125" Wheelbase
88” width
39" BFG w/ Tireballs
17x8.5" 5”BS Walker Evans Beadlock Wheels

Mast Motorsports Black Label 454LSx
CircleD 4L80 Full Manual VB w/the works thrown at it
CircleD Specialties billet TQ
Atlas 2:1 Pro Series gears, 300m outputs

Front:
Currie F9" IFS front with 934 series CV's, Currie 5.43's 35spn ARB CompLocker
Spidertrax 35spl Prohubs
RCV CV Joints
Tubeworks Rotors/Wilwood Brakes
12" 2.625 Bilstein Coilovers with ACV (Anti Cavitation) valving
14” 2.625 Bilstein Protype 3 tube bypasses w/ custom tube placement & ACV (Anti Cavitation) valving

Rear:
AllTech Motorsports Carrier Bearing
Currie 3.5” F9 rear MegaHi9 5.40's 40spl spool
Spidertrax 40spl Prohubs
Tubeworks Rotors/Wilwood Brakes
15" 2.625 Bilstein Coilovers with ACV (Anti Cavitation) valving
17” 2.625 Bilstein Protype 3 tube bypasses w/ custom tube placement & ACV (Anti Cavitation) valving

Very important MISC:
Ron Davis Radiator, Transmission Cooler
AllTech for all fuel solutions bladder/baffling/fuel pumps
Howe Steering, Big Rack and Trophy Pump
Advance Air System filtration
Dynomax bullets
Warn 9.0rc winch
Mastercraft 3G race seats w/ Schroth harnesses
PCI for GPS’s, Pumpers, Intercoms, and Radios
Trailer Products Porter GenIII Class 1 fiberglass body.

Finished Product should look a lot like this ES/Porter Class1.

See less See more
#2 ·
Since the OG thread is gone, I’ll try to recreate a bit. Everyone likes pretty model pics right?

Funny, I think this is the only version of the renderings that resembles the end result.

Inception

#3 ·
In the trailer in ABQ and after a short party stop for BBQ and lots and lots of beers with Matt “JabNasty” Enochs in Alvord, TX, Gillespie and I pushed on for Houston.

Heres what all I got sitting in the driveway.

Finally in my garage. Looking like something, and I got all really excited completely forgetting about what it was going to cost to go from this look to the vroom vroom on her own look.

Now that I had it in my shop I could really look it over. Chassis is badass, these guys had a good vision and plan for the car. As with any project somethings work out and some dont. As you’ll see in this build lots have changed a fair bit, and lots have changed just because we went with different components than DSI had planned for. My #1 complaint of the product I purchased was the shody fit of more than a handful of tubes in the chassis, due to very poor tube notching. It was very apparent two different fabricators had worked on it, one that was good, and one that was a hack and learning. We all gotta start somewhere, unfortunately for me I did the deal in a parking lot in Albuquerque and the option of just turning around and driving 13 hours back empty wasn’t really appealing when its just metal and it can be fixed.

Everything got cut out and repaired with correct and better fitting notches before work really progressed.

Example of GAPs that had to be addressed, the works speaks for itself.

#4 ·
First thing I really worked on was the rear housing and doing the mounts.

Some of my welding on the rear lower mounts

Probably the biggest change already is the car was designed with the plans for a behind the seat 40 gal fuel cell that most Class1’s. I am way to big (read: fat) to be able to rock that without making an extremely uncomfortable car for me. And after seeing the Danny Ebberts fire at the 2012 B1K the fuel has to go in the rear

Baja 1000 Fire 2012 - YouTube

#5 ·
At this point I really hadn’t gotten attached to the build, so to change that I named her. Everyone knew her as “The Unicorn” but this unicorn needed a name and I settled on Black Betty, or just plain Betty.

From wiki Black Betty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-The earliest meaning of "Black Betty" in the United States (from at least 1827) was a liquor bottle.
-The song was first recorded in the field by U.S. musicologists John and Alan Lomax in 1933, performed a cappella by the convict James Baker (also known as Iron Head) and a group at Central State Farm, Sugar Land, Texas (a State prison farm).

So you can see the tie to Sugar Land

She really gets me high (bam-BA-lam)
You know that's no lie (bam-BA-lam)
She's so rock steady (bam-BA-lam)
She's always ready (bam-BA-lam)

Ram Jam - Black Betty - YouTube

Parts had been trickling in. Bilsteins, Spidertrax ProHubs and Tubeworks rotors. Using Wilwood calipers, the rears are here they are making the fronts and should have in a few weeks.

To the pics.

Front is on, the uppers are not the arms that we will be using, the original design hit the steering if turned at full droop. Have new arms cut. We’ll get there.

Rearend is hung and works, the upper links are as narrow as possible to clear the waterpump and steering on the motor but it pushes the rear axle back further than like. Im not sure there is a solution, it is what it is.

Around this point I had the thought that “someone please kick me in the nuts I know better than to build” I really do, I shoulda bought used, but apparently I aint that smart to take my own advice and words of wisdom. I been amassing parts and sticking them on here and there, of course this shit is stupid. But todays "GOOD GOD" moment.....

So I ordered lugnuts .....you know a very integral part of any offroad project. $195 plus shipping and boom!!! :eek:

'ats right Mark Williams 5/8-18 with 3/8 aluminum encapsulated spacers. $3.50/nut, $3/spacer Sold in packs of 10 of course! Pay to play! :lmao:

#6 ·
Added tech:
Running Spider ProHubs w/ 11/16" lug studs but are also hubcentric.

For 11/16" lugstuds it is recommended your wheels be drilled to 45/64". My rims are actually a bit larger at 23/32" now. (you’ll see later that these will become my set of spares)

Hopefully it shouldnt be a problem considering I'm extremely tight on the hub. I have one wheel that is 3/4" which is 1/16" of play should be ok, but will run it and see what gets destroyed. See I’m thinking ahead to destroying parts already, I’m at peace with it.

Cliffnotes
.6875 lugstuds
.703125 recommended lug hole in wheel
.71875 is what "THIS" guy is running

I'll say Howe got the air filters out ASAP. These should keep shit out of the motor, though I have no idea where Im going to mount them. Maybe on the roof or a trailer to tow behind.

Howe apparently started another business. But its same address, same number, and when you call for air filtration or steering you get Jeff Howe.

Advanced Air Cleaner Systems

Filter is a Baldwin LL 1902-FN
From a google search I get this hit:
LL1902-FN Air Filter
Descriptions : Microlite Long Life Outer Air Element with Fins
Notes : Can be used in HSG3047 with PA1912 inner element, or in HSG3048 without inner element.
Use_With : PA1912, PA1981, PA1982
Fits : Mercedes-Benz Trucks; Akerman, Allis Chalmers, Case, Daewoo, Dynapac, John Deere, Kawasaki, Michigan Equipment
Replaces : Allis Chalmers 666432; Case R36360; Daewoo 24749020; John Deere AR45784
O.D. : 7 15/16 (201.6) Fins 10 (254.0)
I.D. : 11/16 (17.5) & 5 3/8 (136.5)
Length : 16 5/16 (414.3)
A.Gskt : [1] Attached
F.Gskt : G103-N

But the granddaddy of this post is my motor showing up. Its just a little girl from Mast. :laughing:

The important part of the dyno sheet :laughing: Should be enough to be the first to the scene of the accident :flipoff2:

#7 ·
Living right. Got Ron Davis and Bilstien boxes on the same day.

Bilstein bypasses, yes they are sexy, and yes custom tube placement too #1 clear shit on the chassis, and #2 be better dial in.

I wont post pics of the Ron Davis from the 1st go around, but UPS decided to play soccer with all of it, after some delay and talks with them. We got everything squared away, and on the truck to me.
I feel like progress has been made this week, but its still early.

#8 ·
Transmissions....

6 speed, automatic, tap shift on the wheel and handles all the power I got and then some. 6L80e, well that shit aint to be! The ECM (Mast M-120) that is necessary for my big dumbass motor will not support any electronic transmissions. I have two options:

#1 swap from M-120 down to the M-90 ecm and handicap the motor due to the difference in Wide Band O2 vs Narrow Band O2.

#2 non-electronic trans.

What was suggested was TH400 w/ GearVendors Overdrive. Would have 6-speed then and a pretty nice O/D. But what I believe I have settled on is a 4l80 w/ manual VB. Sure it would be cool to have 12 forward gears, but 8 should be enough. Sure the 1st gear wont be stupid low, but why do I need that for a freaking IFS Class1 poser car???

I want to give major kuddos to Brian Shirley, and Dave Smiley “WhyPave” for all of the 6L80 help, I am totally sold on that tranny if it werent for my motor ECM issue.

Circle D Trans here in Houston stepped up and did something amazing with this trans. Hope it lives!

And they even had ARP custom make them 11mm retainer bolts that are the correct length, vs. using stocks that only end up with 3 threads of engagement.

#9 ·
Well I hadnt been working very fast, or hard... but here is some progress. Its a roller for the 1st time in its life.

FULL BUMP has 2" under bulkhead, and 4" rear most portion of the chassis. Thats a bit low IMO, we may change the upper C/O & bypass mounts at this point to stop it sooner. I'd like 2 more inches (wouldnt we all :flipoff2: )

Raves: Spidertrax Prohubs are so nice and easy to use. Only had one problem on one corner, they didnt fully tap three tiny holes, so I had to do that. Big whoop. Sexy ass bitches.

Ok, onto the pics.

Double junk in the truck

Planking!

#13 ·
I am one lazy turd :massey:

I hadnt done shit on this expensive garage jungle gym for months. Got busy racing other stuff and chasing kids. LAME!!! So this is the crossroads. WHAT TO DO??? Sell it, or pay someone to finish it.
Whos’ been waiting for this post?

Bitch is gone!

#16 ·
How about racing the Parker425 the weekend before :p
Should be on the lakebed though unless Parker doesnt go as planned

Nice to see ya back at it!!

I heard that there are quite a few offroad races in TX these days - some buddies of mine in DFW are putting together a Class 1 car.

Also - congrats on the Lemons racing - I've got a few friends out here that run in that "league". I've considered it myself, but it seems like more of an excuse to party than serious racing!!!
I greatly underestimated Lemons. Funnest, cheapest racing on the planet! You can be as silly/dumb as you want or as serious go for the win as you want. Lemons teaches a ton that carries over to offroad endurance, save the car save the car, you cant win a race in 1 corner but you can definately lose one.

#15 ·
Nice to see ya back at it!!

I heard that there are quite a few offroad races in TX these days - some buddies of mine in DFW are putting together a Class 1 car.

Also - congrats on the Lemons racing - I've got a few friends out here that run in that "league". I've considered it myself, but it seems like more of an excuse to party than serious racing!!!

#17 · (Edited)
A call to the #2 guy on the west coast LOL :flipoff2:

A call to the badass libertarian redhead in Lake Havasu City, that most know affectionately as EzRick, a bit of discussion some persuasion, maybe a little bit of lubrication, and Rick against better judgement accepted the roll as the man with the plan to finish the unicorn.

Having someone with mucho more experience building racecars that finish races and finish them well. Makes my fab work look one step above rookie fab. And gets it done. I dont have the time, and frankly I havent been making the time. So time to man up, call in support, and get this thing moving.

I alluded to changes or departures from the outline DSI had sold me, and the front IFS was 1st under the knife. Modifications and refinements were made, then came time to press “ENTER” on a few sheets of 4130. Then came Rick’s anger for all of the TIG he's got to do on the 4130 before heattreat. Rick stepped up and knocked out 2 full sets of arms. Y'all know I'll wreck a set easy!

Even up-armored the leading edges

Here is a little foreshadowing. Howe TT pump bracket interfers a bit with the upper links on the rearend......yes thats the link running straight though the middle of the mount. Got up travel?

#19 ·
Gotta jump backwards for a second and give more props to Spidertrax. Ross & Thom good god almighty these guys have made it easy to have parts that will take a flogging and never give up.

I had the opportunity to help crew with JT Taylor on Brad Lovell's Prolite at a Torc race and those guys swore by the Prohubs that Brad ran on his truck. After helping service one at that race, I went home and gave Ross a call and got a set for 40spl & 35spl on the way.

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

Thats no miniature beer can in there.

#20 · (Edited)
Some crazy belt routing to get the Howe TT pump mounted up over the right head.

Well after a lot of discussion and my "weird ass" waterpump, I mean stock new bodystyle Camaro, Rick came up with a plan for the idler on the right head right off the crank.

So he mocks up an idler he has off an LS and goes to work. making the mount, spacing it right, cycling everything and making sure it was going to work.

Then headed down to the parts house to pick up a new idler. WHOMP the 2010 Camaro idler fits perfect without a spacer or the new fangled bracketry Rick spent hours making. Dee Daa Dee. I just laughed, he was ready to throw hammers.

So the silver lining is we now have a bracket to use the older style tensioner on, if ever this one dies and we are in BFE and cant find the newer style. This shit should work right?

Only took this many tries to make it happen perfect.

HA HA GM you got us!
Notice the thicker shinier new one. No bracket required.

Mo' betta

#22 ·
Car is really coming along at this point. There is some really good and kinda bad stuff to still work out. Once its said and done i dont think much of the original will still be there. LOL

Back from post #5
Howe 10x20 dual aircleaners mounted.

Radiator is mounted up

The area over the top of the motor is coming together TIGHTLY!
Exhaust is going to be interesting.

Howe resi mount.

Tray for the Ron Davis heat exchanger.

Oil pans and the kicker. Switched from the Mast pan to a Canton frontsump and looky looky where the drain plug ended up. Of course thats where it was going to be, we shoulda known and expected it.

This is a pretty good view of the oiling situation. Accumulator under the seat, filter assembly is the black thing on the belly rail just in front of the oil pan. Oil pan is a Canton Drifter pan for an LS, in front sump configuration, i.e. rear of car.

See where Rick moved the drain plug to, and a better look at where the remote oil filter goes.

Accumulator, the open area on the right under the driverseat

#23 ·
Two things,

You bought an IFS project but the IFS geometry wasn't up to par? I think I see the logic there :flipoff2:

Second thing if you are still reading, :) The other day I posted a thread that Powertrain Control Solutions - Engineering the future of driveline control now has a standalone controller to go with the 6l80 (not replace the TCM but work with it) so you can now put a 6l80 behind any engine including a carbed one. the controller just needs an RPM input from somewhere.

I talked with them about it at SEMA and it sounds pretty cool. You may not need the 6L80 features since you have the blinged up 4l80 with the 6 speed conversion but I thought you should be aware of this option. It is not on their web site yet so you'd need to call them.

Good luck with the project. I gather due to the wheelbase and track width, this car is more for class 1 desert racing than ultra4 type events?

#24 ·
Pricing better than an outright Pro-Am purchase at the time.
Arm geometry good, steering hadnt been thought fully through for what was planned to be a double ended ram with swingset hanging from the cylinder body that moved back and forth with the rams captured. See the early pics with a PSC ram in the nose. Later pics have a HOWE TT rack.

Yeah I absolutely read your post on the tranny controller. So far down this path that heres where we are. And comparing the 6l80 to the 4l, I dont think I coulda have fit it and the seats. its tick and tall all the way to the tailshaft. But bringing that up is kinda a great segway to all the things I want to change, or wanted to change. Only because the market has evolved so quickly. I'm saving that post for towards the end.

You nailed it on car intent. I live in Texas, realistically I'm only going to be hitting all of the Texas Desert races, which are all private ranch loop races. 80 mile loops crammed into 5000 acres ranches. Lots and lots of switchbacks and hairpin turns. 4wd should really help digging out of the hole when you make the turns. We'll see, but on paper it looks good right and thats the plan.

#25 · (Edited)
Rear axle is done, just waiting on new shafts, the ones I had were 1" too short since I went to the prohubs. So here we are.

Got some gundrilled 300m 40 spline’s carved up. Can we get a stack of money on fire emoticon??? Seriously!

clean caliper mount

Upper shock & bypass mounts are now boxed.

Trailering arms are done

Head mounts are getting deleted for a midplate. AllTech’s Wayne"ZukIzzy" Isrealson built the oilbath, carrier bearing assembly for us. A very nice piece.

RCV is knocking stuff out as well. And HUGE props to Thom at Spidertrax. Not only gave me all the dimensions I'd need to run with their stuff. Also checked RCV's work, and had to make a correction and make an inquiry. As well as is making the bushing spacers for the bell. Spidertrax is the company others should strive to be.

#30 ·
It do. Man, this has been such a long ass saga, from the call when it was up for sale to where you are now, holy shit. Eons.
Luckily you didn't have to go bury anyone in a sand hole over the deal.
It will be cool, but you'll have a F'ing shit ton in it. Should have asked shannon to sell his class 1 to you :flipoff2:
Very excited to squirt gas in her at Parker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.