Pirate 4x4 banner

$10,000 purse to climb Backdoor!

14K views 78 replies 52 participants last post by  bigtoy302 
#1 ·
Back in 2009, after tuning shocks all day, I wandered up to Backdoor at night and watched people line up and try to crawl it. Some guys would be at it for 30-45 minutes and not be able to do anything but break an axle and bruise their ego...only to see the next guy go right up it in a less capable rig without any issues. Every year I have been going out to Backdoor and watching the mayhem that ensues, and it never fails to let me down...someone is going to go big and get up it first try, and someone is going to break their junk.

After years of me talking about a night event out there, I finally go the green light from Dave and the BLM. So with a little help from my employer (King Shocks), 4 Wheel Parts, Raceline wheels, and RCV Performance, we put together a purse big enough for a few Rock bouncers to commit to bringing their rigs out, and I am sure that several people will be willing to risk their KoH racecar on the night before qualifying.

We are still working on the details for the payouts, but it will be nearly all of it ($8-9K) going to the fastest up, and possibly $1000 for the most spectacular crash or break. We...MIGHT...pay out 2nd and 3rd, but it will be minimal...its a "go hard or go home" event.
I will bring out the big King light, and Mulkey will bring his PA system for tunes and updates on times.
There should be a formal announcement sometime after Christmas, and we are thinking the entry fee will only be $50 (to cover staff and insurance costs)

Mike Leighton
King Shocks

See less See more
#5 ·
Wow
Calling all TTC rigs. There is enough mechanical tallent in Cali alone to make this an all-nighter. East coast rigs optional

#6 ·
Rigs/teams need to prep for a prize like that.
Whoever is in charge needs to lay down the terms of the contest before the night of the event.

Perhaps this thread is a chance to clarify the contest?

How about start the climb 100 feet from back door and finish 100 feet after?
Get those big fat rock whores bouncing their shit all over the place.

#8 ·
Plan on signing us all up! AZ Undertakers. It will be a fun competition for sure.

#14 · (Edited)
Keep your event away from Backdoor.
The best way to ruin the tradition is to bring cyclone fence, policy, and make people watch from 500' away.
Pick a different location or time.
EDIT- They're planning for Monday 6PM not Thursday. My fear is someday KOH will have fences up weeks before and during the event and people will not be able to enjoy it as they once did.

#16 ·
Keep your event away from Backdoor.
The best way to ruin the tradition is to bring cyclone fence, policy, and make people watch from 500' away.
Pick a different location or time.

Perhaps a mechanized debachary of this magnitude would present better in daylight???
If not, I suspect the masses will get a better view at this venue than at the koh race because people can line up after the 2nd ledge as the "race" ends there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.