Floater rear hubs. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2003, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 21003
Floater rear hubs.

Can some one please explain to me how to get 5on51\5 bolt pattern on D 60 style hub? I,ve worked on circle track cars with floating hubs but that style hub goes straight from 5on5 to the huge wide five pattern. Or... give me a search word that will turn up the right threads.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
CJ
Rock God

Member # 71
Sandy Cone

81 CJ7
CJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2003, 09:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 21003
Thanx CJ

Thats excactly what i was looking for.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5969
Cone makes the Grand National style hubs with 5 on 5 1/2, but you will have to weld on spindles. Or you could get the Warn 35 spline floater kit, it has a spindle that bolts the 9" big bearing style end. Looks like either way you will have to weld on different ends. I seem to remember someone making and aluminum 60-70-14b hub that is 5 or 6 lug, maybe it was Grady's shop.
GOAT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 09:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 6291
I don't think it's possible on a 60, the end of the axle is just too big even if you open up the hole in the rim. all the ones shown thus far were of 14B's

- jack
Old 07-11-2003, 10:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
pissnmetal

Member # 12035
Send a message via AIM to StudNuts
Quoted from BillaVista's D60 Bible(that wold be located in the Tech Dept for the newbs) Dont kow if this will help though since its for front hubs.

How do I convert a Front Dana 60 to 5x5.5 bolt pattern?
The way most people do this is to use the D60 hubs and turn them down to fit through the 5 lug rims, turn the backsides down to fit the 5 lug rotors, and then re-drill the flanges. Then you just have to make a caliper bracket to fit (see 3/4 ton brake conversion above).

I converted a D60 over to 5 on 5.5 this fall. I used a mix of Dana 60 parts and Dana 44 parts to get it done. All parts are Ford 1979 Dana 60, Ford half ton, or Chevy half ton.
Hereís the parts list:
Dana 60 spindle
Dana 60 hub machined down and re-drilled to 5 on 5.5
Dana 44 rotor (F-150/Bronco) center bore machined out to fit on the Dana 60 hub
Machined brake caliper bracket out of 1/2 steel. Basically flat but machined to allow 1/4" clearance for brake pads. Incorporated Dana 60 spindle pattern and Howe twin piston Chevy calipers. These were needed for clearance at piston and knuckle. Knuckle needed slight grinding to allow free caliper clearance. But they work awesome so worth the extra money.
F-150 wheel studs
Getting the hub and brakes machined and re-drilled was cheap. Around $150. The brakes cost substantially more. I hate to say what I paid for the caliper bracket, but if you have a buddy who is a machinist you could probable replicate for a lot less. the Howe calipers were around $220 for the set. Well worth the extra over standard calipers in my opinion.

I did the same conversion to 5 lug on my Hybrid Dana6/Ford9" front. Some pics: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albu...=1&showall=true
I used a 60 hub, re-drilled. 1 hole is almost 1/2 way into one of the old 8 lug locations. I tack welded the stud to keep it straight. OD of the hub turned down, back side of the hub matched to F150 rotors. I had a local metal shop flame cut the caliper brackets from 3/8" plate (7/16 would be better). I had a tracing of Dynatrac's bracket. Transferred the spindle bolt pattern. I used GM / FSJ 2 bolt calipers. A little grinding on the knuckle, and slid them out 1/8" or so for more knuckle clearance. No problem with 15" wheels. Took a lot of figuring and measuring, but came out great and pretty cheap. I have a good connection for machine work, but really nothing too sophisticated. BTW, Sunray will do this conversion with your parts. $800

Another method is a Chevy 60 knuckle, a 60 outer shaft, a Chevy 44 spindle, a 1/2" thick spacer/adaptor to bolt to the 60 knuckle and bolt the spindle to, then you use a 44 hub, rotor, backing plate, and caliper, and a lockout can be bought from Warn, its the one they are using in their rear full float conversions, same 30 spline as the 60 shaft, and fits in the 44 hub. They are running no spindle bearings, you do end up trimming a little off the spline end of the outer shaft, cause its to long, but it all goes together, and the only thing the people running it have broken is a hub.

I've heard of this set-up before, never seen it though. Talked extensively with a guy in WA that makes a kit like that but wants $900 for it!! What he does is make a spacer, bore out a big bearing D44 spindle till the bearing fits, adapts D60 lockout hub internals into a D44 lock-out. Not sure if thatís the right way to do it but thatís what he told me!
Old 07-11-2003, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 6291
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeepin_NC
Quoted from BillaVista's D60 Bible(that wold be located in the Tech Dept for the newbs) Dont kow if this will help though since its for front hubs.
the front hubs are smaller than the rear hubs.

- jack
Old 07-11-2003, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 21003
Let me clear this up.

I,m only looking for rear floaters. And if the hardesst part is welding on snouts/hubs I,ll be a happy man. Thanks for the info
Old 07-13-2004, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 17553
bringing this up from the dead...

Anymore info on this? I'm looking to do a FF 35-spline HP 60 rearend with 5 on 5.5 and small enough brakes to use my current 15" rims. Want to use a Ford front HP Dana 60 centersection as a starting point. Looking for any information on what tubes (from any axle big-bearing 9", Dana 60, whatever) and spindle combination can acheive a 35-spline FF with 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. Talked to numerous shops and all they tell me is that it is all custom and they won't give out any secrets, you just have to send your parts to them and they'll build it and send you an enormous bill. Sounds like the Warn 35-spline FF kit does not just bolt-on to any existing axle tubes. Anything you want to put these in has to be cut, machined, buy extra housing end parts, welded up, etc. Plus you have to take the shaft blanks somewhere else to have them cut down and resplined. So what's the point in this "kit" then? Any input is greatly appreciated.
watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 07:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
No Gates in ENF!

Member # 6867
Quote:
Originally Posted by watson
bringing this up from the dead...

Anymore info on this? I'm looking to do a FF 35-spline HP 60 rearend with 5 on 5.5 and small enough brakes to use my current 15" rims. Want to use a Ford front HP Dana 60 centersection as a starting point. Looking for any information on what tubes (from any axle big-bearing 9", Dana 60, whatever) and spindle combination can acheive a 35-spline FF with 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. Talked to numerous shops and all they tell me is that it is all custom and they won't give out any secrets, you just have to send your parts to them and they'll build it and send you an enormous bill. Sounds like the Warn 35-spline FF kit does not just bolt-on to any existing axle tubes. Anything you want to put these in has to be cut, machined, buy extra housing end parts, welded up, etc. Plus you have to take the shaft blanks somewhere else to have them cut down and resplined. So what's the point in this "kit" then? Any input is greatly appreciated.
You want the Bling rear axle but you're not willing to pay/work for it.

Yes it is all custom, that doesn't mean it has to cost super high $$$ and your opinion of lots of money may be different than others.

You gotta read and search the wrecking yards and call in all the favors you can. What goes around, comes around. Keep this in mind if someone helps you along the way.

As far as giving out "secrets" . Those shops have better things to do that sit on the phone and tell you how to get into the axle business.

now for the tech... The Warn kit is nice for what it is, but its designed to fit certain vehicles..if you make your HP60 look like one of those applications (?like a Bronco?) then the kit will bolt on. There is a Warn Kit that comes without axles, for custom apps. and Warn usually only sells it to shops that do alot of the custom stuff. Axles are available separately from dozens of sources. For brakes you'll probly be on your own with the Warn kit

Eric
Attached Images

urjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 08:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 11356
Send a message via AIM to big97redtj
2 of these:

2 of these:

and a set of these:

The site isn't complete yet, but dealers are here: clicky clicky
big97redtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 08:22 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 17553
I wasn't wanting the shops to just tell me what I want to hear and then go off and build it myself. I knew some custom parts were in order and if I could buy those and do the work myself with a little direction, that was the plan. I completely agree that knowledge is part of the price and don't expect it to be free. I have worked with many shops on other projects that realize not everyone can afford their labor rates and may just have the ability to do it themselves. So with the hope of continued business, they sell me a few parts and give some advice and maybe a secret or two. Those shops I always try to continue business with and recommend to others. Well one of the "secrets" I was looking for was just what axle housing does the Warn kit fit. And nobody could tell me. I am willing to work for it, rather than just pay for all of it. That's why I want to do it myself and not just pay Currie or Dynatrac to do it. Through my searching I have found people that say just get a HP 60 center, press either some semi-float 60 tubes or big bearing 9" tubes in and slap the Warn kit in and be done. Well after talking to Warn and a few axle shops, it is not this easy and some extra parts and machine work is needed. I was willing to pay for the extra parts from one company that Warn told me to talk to but the guy wouldn't help me at all, he just said send him the housing and he'd do the work. So are you saying that yes, this kit will bolt up to a 9" housing out of a Bronco? If I could just get the outer stuff, getting custom shafts made is no big deal. I like those Rockcrusher parts, thanks for those pics... I was planning on calling Badlands anyway about this so I'll ask them about these parts. I plan on using either CJ thick rotors and GM calipers (what I'm currently running in the rear now) or maybe use 1/2 ton ford rotors.

Last edited by watson; 07-14-2004 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
No Gates in ENF!

Member # 6867
Quote:
Originally Posted by watson
Through my searching I have found people that say just get a HP 60 center, press either some semi-float 60 tubes or big bearing 9" tubes in and slap the Warn kit in and be done.
Over-simplified...but not untrue, tho thats not how I'd do it.

From Warns site....floater kits
Old 07-14-2004, 09:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5969
Warn woudnt tell you that their 35 spline kit fits a big bearing end? It's really simple, (and what I said earlier) just weld ford big bearing ends to any rearend, bolt on the warn spindle and hub and get their axle cut and splined to the correct length.

Last edited by GOAT1; 07-14-2004 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
No Gates in ENF!

Member # 6867
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT1
Warn woudnt tell you that their 35 spline kit fits a big bearing end. It's really simple, and what I said earlier) just weld ford big bearing ends to any rearend, bolt on the warn spindle and hub and get their axle cut and splined to the correct length.
I agree ...
Old 07-14-2004, 10:01 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 13410
Send a message via ICQ to TJ Fan Send a message via AIM to TJ Fan Send a message via Yahoo to TJ Fan
Here is a complete unit.
Attached Images

[URL="http://www.mad4wd.com/tek9.asp?pg=rockcrusher"]
Custom Ford 9", Dana 44 & Dana 60 Axles[/URL]
[URL="http://www.mad4wd.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&grp=310"]Dana 60 & Dana 44 High Steer Arms[/URL]
[URL="http://www.mad4wd.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jrgrkme0"]Tube Clamps[/URL]
[URL="http://www.mad4wd.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&grp=290"]Bilstein Shocks - In Stock[/URL]
TJ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:33 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 3152
Send a message via AIM to Trango Send a message via Yahoo to Trango
/forum/general-4x4-discussion/251927-6-lug-ff-14-bolt.html
Old 07-14-2004, 11:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
No Gates in ENF!

Member # 6867
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Fan
Here is a complete unit.
Got Brakes? ....seriously, could you supply a package with Rotors calipers/brackets and wheel studs and the custom length axles to go...?
Old 07-14-2004, 11:36 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 11356
Send a message via AIM to big97redtj
Quote:
Originally Posted by urjb
Got Brakes? ....seriously, could you supply a package with Rotors calipers/brackets and wheel studs and the custom length axles to go...?

Yes...
big97redtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 11:58 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 17553
talked to the guys at Mad4wd and feel much better now. very impressed after talking to these guys. Looks like i wouldn't spend much more money having a shop do the whole thing and save me a huge headache. Good price on a rockcrusher axle. Question though... this axle is WAY overkill for my application I think. It would be really sweet but do I really need to spend that kind of money? I just talked with a racing shop and got quoted a cut to length HP 9" full-floater with 35 spline moser shafts, driveflanges, detroit locker, whatever gears I want for about $2100. I just have to put my own link brackets and brakes on. This sounded really good. I realize this is not the BEEF that a rockcrusher 60 is though but I'm talking about putting this axle under a Cherokee with stock 4.0L turning 38" TSLs. Not a V-8 powered competition rig. Comments about strength of a HP 9"? I know these use 8.8 gears. They guy said they are using these under some high horsepower drag-cars, just wondering how well they hold up to big lugs and rocks. Thanks.

Last edited by watson; 07-14-2004 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
No Gates in ENF!

Member # 6867
I use the HP9 with 35-37's with no probs, but I think 38's are asking for problems.

I've never seen a drag car or any car with a HP9 before.

IMO go with the 60 for tires that big.

Keep in mind the HP9 your lookin at does not have brakes...whats it gonna cost to complete?

rule of thumb= flanged axle rear is $1000 plus gears, locker, brakes...so your $2100 seems kinda low (good for you if the quality is there). Who's floater you gonna get? the Warn is about $400 more than a flanged axle setup.

Eric
Old 07-14-2004, 01:33 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 613
why not look into finding a 14 bolt to get the spindles and hubs off of to use, they will support the 5.5 bolt pattern and plenty of them around in my area. I used those parts to build a full float nine inch for my jeep.
odee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 02:44 PM   #23 (permalink)
TDW
Duke of Drink

Member # 1352
Quote:
Warn woudnt tell you that their 35 spline kit fits a big bearing end? It's really simple, (and what I said earlier) just weld ford big bearing ends to any rearend, bolt on the warn spindle and hub and get their axle cut and splined to the correct length.
What is the bolt pattern on the Ford big bearing end? The Warn spindle for the D60 kit is a 6 on 4 pattern.
TDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 03:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5969
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDW
What is the bolt pattern on the Ford big bearing end? The Warn spindle for the D60 kit is a 6 on 4 pattern.
4, 3/8" bolts, 3 9/16" x 2", 3.150" bearing OD.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:54 PM   #25 (permalink)
TDW
Duke of Drink

Member # 1352
Quote:
4, 3/8" bolts, 3 9/16" x 2", 3.150" bearing OD.
I believe the Warn spindle is designed around the Jeep D60, 6 bolt round end.
TDW is offline   Reply With Quote