Setting up Shackle angle - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2001, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
Question Setting up Shackle angle

I'm almost to the point on my SAS where i get to weld on my shackle hangars. I'm gonna be running a reversed shackle setup with wagoneer leafs and i'm trying to figure out how to set up the shackle angle. i've been told it should be 90* to the leafs, is that correct? thats with the truck sitting on em right? also how am i supposed to check where the shackle will be when the weight is on the springs? i just wanna make sure its as close to perfect as possible before i weld anything permanently. any suggestions are welcome thanks.

Dallas

Overall Winner, 2012&13 KOH EMC. Gettin it done in a stocker!
Co-Dog #4432-KOH 2011 #88-KOH 2010, Crew Chief - KOH 2009, 2008
StinkBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 260
Send a message via Yahoo to woody
90* will give you a nice STIFF ride. 45 degrees angled forward, sitting level with the weight on the truck is the correct measurement.

If you have nearly flat springs to negative arch springs, take a 2x4 and place the 2" thickness between the spring and frame and lower the truck so full weight is on the springs. (Leave jackstands under frame, slightly short, just in case - also leave jack in place, again just in case.) Take the shackle you intend to use, and determine the best location to get a 45 degree angle on the shackle.

If you have arched springs, stock, 2" or whatever, then you'll need to do a bit more work...mostly, you need to determine how much length the springs will reach when fully compressed to ensure the spring eye stays off the frame. Sometimes a 2x4 combined with a 1x4 (~3" thick, well ~2.5 with std lumber measurments) will be workable.

I actually used a ~1" thick piece of wood on mine...at resting weight, my springs are less than 1/2" from the frame, and with less than 1" of arc, they've never hit.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2001, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 62
90 degrees is the extreme, 45 degree's would be the other extreme. I personally like something in between, like 60 degrees. You just need to make sure there is enough room for compression and droop of the spring
Old 11-29-2001, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
ok thanks. Just BTW my shackles aren't going to be mounted thru the frame, they will be mounted just like the front spring hanger, 2 tabs hanging down off the frame. i'm using the stock Waggy shackles as well which are inverted on the frame side, they carry the bushing instead of the frame having the bushing in a sleeve. thanks for the info i'll check it out.

Dallas

Overall Winner, 2012&13 KOH EMC. Gettin it done in a stocker!
Co-Dog #4432-KOH 2011 #88-KOH 2010, Crew Chief - KOH 2009, 2008
StinkBug is offline   Reply With Quote