Pirate 4x4 banner

Project LQ4 BUGGY: Iraq out with my kawq out

169K views 2K replies 86 participants last post by  kdub0013 
#1 ·
Decided to go the tube chassis route instead of mutilating another toyota. Worked out a deal with a buddy and I am going to finish/modify this chassis. Plans are lq4/th400/atlas4.3 with 60/14 5.13 gears and grizzlies f/r. Front axle is chromo with yukon everything and yukon superjoints. Going 16 inch coil overs all around and full hydro. I currently have 42 inch iroks on steelies which I am going to beadlock lock.

I basic goal is to get it back up to trail buggy status that's fun for the family. Eventually I may start dabbling in the race scene. One step at a time.

Here is my current rig which will be mostly parted for the buggy.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
list of what I have on hand

Lq4
Th400
Atlas 4.3 pass drop
60 front chromo shafts, drive flanges, grizzly locker and super joints
Artec truss

14bolt
Wfo truss
Grizzly locker stock shafts

Iroks and beadlocks from tmi

Ruff stuff heims for links

2 foa 16s need 2 more

Fuel cell

Corbeau seats

Radiator

Tg full hydro kit

Led lights all around

Winch

And I'm sure there's more

#10 · (Edited)
I know right. Catching on fire or smoking god knows what into the garage. I probably have mesothelioma :flipoff2:

I mean shit, why not? It's not like I'm gonna break a windshield or anything:grinpimp:
Lucky for the next guy who hucks a light and is not my friend. My wife is not too thrilled about being without a windshield.

Cool Keith! Can't wait to see this project unfold.
Thanks I'm like a dog chasing it's tail so who knows. I hope I can maybe do a little racing in the norcal stuff at least.

#20 ·
Thanks it needs some finish work but I am ahead of the game as it sits.

Awesome man! Hopefully I'll see ya on the trail sooner than later!
I should be back up an running by summer, maybe not skinned out but moving.

Played around with some tube ideas in paint. I want to rework the whole hood area and shock hoops.

#24 ·
I'll probably just throw some smaller cross bars and be done with it honestly but we will see. I may weigh it first and get a base for where I'm at.

Did a quick inventory of parts not installed and on hand. I'm short 4 heims so I'll need to go by ruff stuff tomorrow since they are 20% off :smokin:

Full hydro minus the pump since I'm not sure what I'm running yet.

rear disc brake setup for the 14bolt

Axle and truss brackets

Yukon super joints

And the bead lock kit

Attachments

#25 ·
Any reason your not going to run the ori struts that are on the chassis?

#26 ·
Is this a typical color for shock oil? I watched and you tube video so I'm going to attempt to replace the bent shafts with the straights. Also is this ring below the collar where the upper spring hits just to provide a secondary lock to hold that upper portion in place? Whatever little bolts were holding that clamp together are gone.

Attachments

#27 · (Edited)
Shock oil, looks dark, run it through a coffee filter if you really must..... Aside from complaints of Foa's with metal inside them from the factory, running shocks with bent shafts causes problems too. Check the bore for gouging/ scoring and move on.

The ring is the dual rate stop. It should be above the dual rate slider to adjust where you want the transfer point to be. There are just some long socket head Allen bolts for that. You can probably call FOA or pm motochris to get the size info.

#28 ·
Right on Jeremy thanks. I wanna say this never worked right from the get go as the dual rate slider was moved by tightening the top down and compressing the springs. I'll call foa and see what I need and also just run new shock oil.

#30 ·
Threading the top down adjusts spring pre-load. Read up on the spring rate thread. Some don't stop the dual rate slider until the upper coil binds, some also do not pre-load the springs. Both are great tuning aides and why I suggested to Brian that he wait to buy springs until he can weigh the rig.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.