Pirate 4x4 banner

Play in my hole (link brackets)

908 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  IronBenderII 
#1 ·
F*ing perverts...

Hey, I am doing a 4 link front and I noticed that my lower brackets have a little play in the bolt holes. Probably like 1/32 per end. I have everything tacked together and the bolts slid in (but not tightened at all) and ther is a little bit of play. I'm worried that that little bit of play is going to end up being front end shimmy on the street.

So here's my question. Do you think when I get the bolts tightened down (1" bolts) most of that play will go away? Maybe when I have all the links in it won't be as bad?

It's only tacked on so it would be easiest to remove/rebuild the brackets right now as apposed to when it is all welded on and I'm on my test drive...

What do you think?

#3 ·
I agree that it doesn't seem like much. But when you consider it's 1/32 on each side, that's 1/16 per link. Could be just enough?

I'm using 3/8 for my brackets, so I think that will help keep the holes from wallowing out.

Do you have a linked front suspension? How tight are your bolt holes? I'd say mine are average. Not super tight but not sloppy.

Thanks!

Jack

#4 ·
When my brackets were plasma punched out the holes were made 1/16" big, this was done because the shop did not have the correct punch to make them 1/32" big. I was told it would not be a problem from the machinist that had them done for me, he said just to tighten the hell out of them..

Station (the steering guy) has plans drawn up for some funky little washer to help even the load on these types of applications if your concerned contact him. If mine get any slope at all I am going to use his washers or make misalignment bushings for my heim joints that are for a 11/16 bolt rather than a 5/8.

Good Luck.. I may be in the same boat! :D

#7 ·
You have it apart now, Fix it! it will only take a few munites to make it right (fill in the hole, and redrill). If you don't you are going to be thinking about it all tha time when on the trail. Its not worth that!

My $.02 Do it right the first time! Or not at all!:beer: :beer:

#9 ·
ROCKTACO said:
You have it apart now, Fix it! it will only take a few munites to make it right (fill in the hole, and redrill). If you don't you are going to be thinking about it all tha time when on the trail. Its not worth that!

My $.02 Do it right the first time! Or not at all!:beer: :beer:
Hey, you're like 2 miles from the house, why don't you cruise on over and gvie me a hand with it! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.