Pirate 4x4 banner

Rock Crawlers Museum

38K views 148 replies 79 participants last post by  dcastell 
#1 ·
If you were to visit a Smithsonian of 4 wheeling. What rigs would you like to see. I am a history buff of the sport and I have not been around as long as most, but I have a nostalgia for the sport.

I have my own list, but what would you like to see?

Post your own shit and flame yourself down the end of a gallon of bleach. Googled but did not see a thread. I will delete if needed.

Things that moved the sport along. Post pics if you can find them

#40 ·
Kevin's Toyota was my favorite Toyota of all time. It inspired me a lot over the years. . . I have the 4x4 Power Magazine from 1999 that it was featured in. . . Really sucks the truck was totaled.

#39 · (Edited)
I'm gonna throw Jason bunch and the tri county gear 4 banger yj in there too. Very capable comp rig, he rocked the kluneV too. Light, underpowered easy on parts, moved the engine forward to to make room for the klune. He made and sold inertia rings, maybe the first for the 4 bangers in the jeeps.

#43 ·
Brent Bradshaw's Crustaceon.

Tracy Jordan's or Don Robbins' FJ40 on hydro shocks as those guys did stuff that was pretty wild.

Chris Durhams c10.

Ken Blume's / Jesse Haines' / Jeff Mello's / Cody Waggoner's original Jeeps. How they did what they did in those rigs shows they were incredible drivers.

Mike Palmer's Caddy Powered Cambell Buggy...lord was that thing awesome to see go.

Peter Well's high clearance buggy that really was a very creative and practical design.

#44 ·
A inspiration of mine was a Petersons 4x4 write up on some group out of Arizona. One rig stuck out to me, it was a propane powered 22r that had a turbo. I though it was just neat as shit. I read the article constantly.

The group name was "Built to Grind"

#47 ·
I gotta give a vote to the Sniper. I remember going to an ARCA event in Farmington(1999-2000?). Everyone followed the Sniper from course to course like golf fans followed Tiger Woods from hole to hole. We nicknamed Steve Rumore "Tiger" that weekend.

#52 ·
rick pewe's gpw
ned bacons mb
randy Ellis's flat black and lime green cj5
I don't remember the name of the person but I can describe the rigs
ol'spot yj
the pink cj5 that used to have a 340 mopar engine (I think the guys name was rod)
mark werstmire (spelling) cj8 that was in 4 wd and sport utility

#72 ·
Agreed.

I think I have that on a magazine cover climbing a waterfall.

#57 · (Edited)
Chris Durham's CJ10

Tiny

The yellow yj (4xdoctor)

The rockher

Lovell's Ranger (vintage skins)

Fat City Bronco

Rock Bug

Any/All twisted customs buggy

Scorpion

Avalanche early buggies

(Reserve the right to add more)

#60 ·
This thread could use more pics.

Also, be careful when searching for info on the White Knight......

Seems google is confusing a canadian wheeler with the KKK :laughing:

#61 ·
A lot of cool old stuff in here. Before there was google and we searched on AOL or yahoo and read magazines that sometimes had black and white pictures. I remember finding some site called pirate4x4 in '99 searching info on S10 solid axle swaps. My old username superslick doesn't work anymore but I can remember logging in with my dial up internet with 166mHz 256Mb Ram windows 95 box. I would play a full game of solitaire while listening to MP3s I stold off Napster before all the pictures would load up @5kb/s!

#63 · (Edited)
:laughing:

I remember trying to watch videos. Click link, go make a sandwich, eat it, take a shit, walk to the store, come back, watch some TV, oh cool, now I can watch 3 Mims of video :flipoff2:

Now I can watch HD videos, with no lag, off something that fits in my pocket, while taking a shit at work, crazy!

#68 ·
I finally found a picture of Jason Paule's Early Bronco. I think he built this when he was in High School and this bronco was the first vehicle to run a lot of the trails in the Black Hills. Jason, as well as the BH4wheelers do ALOT of work to keep trails open. I think he cut it down the middle, narrowed it, and welded it back up with a stick welder. It has a straight 300 six cylinder with a carburator, np-435, I think a dana 20 tcase? I also think it has an adjustable air type suspension on it so that he could raise and lower each corner independently. I am sure Weasel could chime in and fix any errors I made on the old Bronco. These pics are from a New Years run a couple years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.