AFW vs. Matkins - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2004, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 26584
AFW vs. Matkins

I am building a 51 CJ3A flattie up on 38's, D60, 14 bolt, link suspension, and want to get an aftermarket frame for it. I have heard mixed reviews on what I should get between AFW and Matkins. Anybody have any experience with either of these?
51Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 19304
Send a message via MSN to gipper Send a message via Yahoo to gipper
If you're building it, and already have a body, why wouldn't you just build your own frame? you could buy a bender, make a tube frame and make a cage all for less than those prices. Then you'd still have a bender at the end of the game.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
AFW has some nice frames but Matkins are just plain beef, masivly overbuilt. I know the guy that runs matkins so I'd probably go with him.

Experience is what you get 30 seconds after you need it

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 191
as much as I thought the AFW frame would "the" way to go,

hence the formed bends, etc, I bought that version of the
cj7 frame rails. I wanted to make my own crossmembers,
mounts, etc.

what I didn't plan on doing was straightening out their f-ed
up bends.

some of the bends were not in the same plane as the other
side frame rail, the in-out dims were not correct either.

needless to say, their customer service (if you can call it that)
was non-ignistant....... none. zero. nada..

everytime I called requesting some sort of drawing, measurements, etc, I was told that information was confidential..

CONFIDENTIAL TO WHO-? I ALREADY BOUGHT THE FRIGGEN FRAME, NOW I NEED SOME DIMS TO ASSEMBLE IT.....

I got no information over the phone about my requests either.

so, although I still like the formed bends over the miter-cut/weld
frames, I would be hesitant to order bare rails again without
making damn sure I was getting frame-dim drawings up front...

--Sherpa

SHERPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 26584
Well, I would like to run the AFW frame b/c it's lighter and less $$, so I guess what I am basically asking is will the AFW frame hold up well for my application, or should I be hesitant of its strength? Anybody know anyone has bent one?
Old 01-29-2004, 10:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 12414
I have the Matkins level III frame under my CJ-7 their customer service stinks, it took some work to straighten out some of the little bugs , but it is one beefy frame. I don't have any of the binding problems in the clutch like I did with the stock frame. I pitty the poor fool that pulls out in front of me.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 26584
Yeah, no kidding, I was told to go with a Level II if I were to get one from Matkins. Anyone else using an AFW?
Old 01-29-2004, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 707
I went with a Matkins level 2, beautiful awsome quality and I had really had great service. The guy drove the frame out and dropped it off at my home door personaly. Oh yeah, I live in Michigan and it was a Saturday.

Matkins also sells a mandrel bent frame to competed with the AWF version and its less $. I would definatly call Matkins first.

Tony
Old 01-29-2004, 05:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 940
A Jeep frame only takes about 3 hours to make and 2.5 lengths of steel to build. Build the frame yourself.
www.KICKASSOFFROAD.COM
916-434-6978
Custom Sway Bars and Axles built to order.

Got 40 spline? I have the hubs, spindles, and axles you need to kickass!
Custom Hummer wheels and centers
Axle Resplining

Last edited by 66CJdean; 01-29-2004 at 05:37 PM.
66CJdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 06:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 19304
Nice Dean. What tube is that? 4x2x? 1/8?
Old 01-29-2004, 06:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 19892
Frames

I have a Lev III Cj-8 from Matkins. Killer frame 500# shipped. If you plan on wheeling hard core don't get a bent frame. That is to say a mandrel bent frame. A mitered and welded frame will be stronger than a bent frame. Plus the lev III has a killer warrenty. Bend it and they will replace it. That includes off road abuse. That being said the customer service is so so at best. I'm still waiting for my sales invoice and I paid for the frame in August. It also took twice as long to ship as they said. They said 3, it took 6. Of course I expected this and I kept bugging them and reminding them that they said 3. So not a biggie. Just be preparred for it. And I bought mine on special in August, free shipping! That saved me $660 So if your not in a hurry wait till August and see if they run that special again. I didn't even want to get my frame then but saving $660 moved up that purchase. Go with the beef.
BlueMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 06:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 940
Quote:
Originally posted by gipper
Nice Dean. What tube is that? 4x2x? 1/8?
2x4x.120
With everything tied into the rollbar and such it is plenty strong. This Jeep doesn't flex anything like the boxed stock one I had before. Really a Jeep frame is an easy project since it is just 2 streight rails. This frame get abused plenty and I would build it again the same if needed. Here is the finished product.

www.KICKASSOFFROAD.COM
916-434-6978

Axle Resplining

Last edited by 66CJdean; 01-29-2004 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 19304
Do you have any close ups of those critical joints there?
Old 01-29-2004, 06:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 940
No I don't
sorry

PM me if you have some questions. I'll be happy to answer them.
www.KICKASSOFFROAD.COM
916-434-6978

Axle Resplining
Old 01-29-2004, 07:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 26584
Hell with it, I think I'll just build one like 66CJdean did. That will save me a lot of $$.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:04 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 15811
I run the Matkins stage III on my CJ6. It is BEEFY. I had a good experience with them. No problems with customer service or the frame. I am very happy with the product they make. That said, I am about a year into a build ( I work a lot of hours at work so the Jeep sees me at most once a week ) When I started, my brother asked me why I didn't just build my own frame. At the time I thought he was crazy. I had no skills in welding and no equipment to build it with. Now, between us, we either own or have access to anything we would need to do just about anything we want. He is a certified welder now, and I have learned a lot from him and those of you who were patient with me here. I think I wore a hole in the SEARCH button. I know it is easy to look back and see the things you may have changed, but if I had to do it over I would just make my own. It really is not that hard, and I did pay $$$$ for the frame.

One side note, if you do decide to order one anyway, order it with everything on it as you want it. I ordered mine bare bones. I have struggled with two different full width mounting setups, multiple body mounting setups, and many other things that slowed me down because I thought I would do it myself. They have all the numbers there, so let them do it if you are willing to have them do any of it. I found that I did not save myself any time or headaches the way I did it.
By the way, I still think my brother (BOOGERWELDZ) is crazy.
[COLOR="Silver"]♣[/COLOR][B][COLOR="Lime"][FONT="Arial Black"][B]Bink'sFab[/B][/FONT][/B][/color][COLOR="Silver"]rication[/COLOR][COLOR="Lime"]♣[/COLOR] - [URL="http://facebook.com/binksfab"]facebook.com/binksfab[/URL]

Last edited by 1972CJ5+1; 01-30-2004 at 06:07 AM.
1972CJ5+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 06:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 940
Quote:
Originally posted by 51Willys
Hell with it, I think I'll just build one like 66CJdean did. That will save me a lot of $$.
You will build this type of frame for about the shipping cost of the others.
If you have questions PM me and I'll see if I can answer them.
www.KICKASSOFFROAD.COM
916-434-6978

Axle Resplining
Old 01-31-2004, 10:44 AM   #18 (permalink)
Pirate is KING!

Member # 12217
After seeing so many nice rigs with AFW frames under them and knowing the people that built them (Chris Durham, Jason Paulie, etc.) I decided to call those guys and ask their opinions. They said they had no problems with the frames and that they had received such good customer service that they had returned to AFW to buy more frames for other rigs at a later date...knowing this was coming from the most-respected names in this business, I had an immediate trust in AFW products. I bought my first frame from AFW last week and it'll be here soon.
RedBullJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 12:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
Doublewide engineer

Member # 6971
Quote:
Originally posted by RedBullJeep
After seeing so many nice rigs with AFW frames under them and knowing the people that built them (Chris Durham, Jason Paulie, etc.) I decided to call those guys and ask their opinions. They said they had no problems with the frames and that they had received such good customer service that they had returned to AFW to buy more frames for other rigs at a later date...knowing this was coming from the most-respected names in this business, I had an immediate trust in AFW products. I bought my first frame from AFW last week and it'll be here soon.
Not to discount your recommendation, but I dont feel that a couple of the largest names in rock crawl comps getting good service means a whole lot. Anyone with a 4x4 buisness who gets a call from one of the bigshots is probably going to bend over backwards to make sure they are happy. This should not in itself be construed to mean that they treat everyone this way. Especially in light of the other replys to this thread. Maybe I'm just too damn cynical.

"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." R. L. Burnside

Last edited by kwrangln; 01-31-2004 at 12:23 PM.
kwrangln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 10:25 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 13688
AFW

I own an AFW frame, beat the snot out of it and had no problems what so ever, including a 30' endo off of full throttle at EROCC that thrashed the cage a "bit", sprung the body a tad, frame is fine.

FWIW, AFW is plenty strong.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
Pirate is KING!

Member # 12217
Quote:
Originally posted by kwrangln

Not to discount your recommendation, but I dont feel that a couple of the largest names in rock crawl comps getting good service means a whole lot.
The only problem with this argument is that they were AFW customers BEFORE they got their big names...
Old 02-02-2004, 11:41 AM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2203
Send a message via Yahoo to 1SAWB
I CALLED AND E-MAILED BOTH COMPANIES BEFORE I SPENT THE MONEY AFW DIDN'T WANT TO TALK TO ME AND THERE E-MAIL WAS ONE SENTENCE. MATKINS SPENT ALOT OF TIME ON THE PHONE WITH ME AND I GOT A 7 PAGE E-MAIL FROM THEM.....SO MATKINS GOT MY 3K BUT THIS WAS ALL BEFORE TUBE CHASSIS BOOM... I STILL HAVE IT UNTOUCHED FROM WHEN IT WAS DELIVERED IF YOU WANT TO BUY IT FROM ME.. I HAD THE STAGE 3 WITH WRANGLER SPRINGS AND HITCHES FRONT AND REAR...E-MAIL ME SHELDON@TDMACH.COM
1SAWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 03:22 PM   #23 (permalink)
Pirate is KING!

Member # 12217
Man, those ALL CAPS MESSAGES make me dizzy

Isn't that the way it goes though...buy something, then the trends change and it sits in the shop!
Old 02-03-2004, 07:06 AM   #24 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2203
Send a message via Yahoo to 1SAWB
sorry work computer only uses caps.... no big deal the frame can go to the wife for a stock style crawler
1SAWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 12:50 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 60
I purchased a set of AFW frame rails last spring to put under my seven. I had them stretch the rails a few inches at the front and the back. I was able to get it back togther straight and true. But it takes a big jig or steel table to bolt it down. After all the welding of crossmembers I then took it to a frame shop and had it pulled completly perfect.

I then spent the rest of the year beating the piss out of it. I can't say enough good things about it. Its really nice when the suspension does the flexing not the frame.

Had nothing but good contact with Jarrod at AFW. I my opinion he's a great guy.

If you wanted all the dimensions they are available on the web for the stock frame. All you have to do is search. If you wanted Jarrod to tell you exactly how he builds them you should have bought one ready to bolt in. But hey thats just me I don't expect a company to give me their secrets. I do know it involves a big jig that probable takes more to build than the frame. My buddy has one he uses for stock car frames he builds. I cheated and used a huge steel working table with a 3/4" thick top.

The rails are cheap becuase they are along way from a finished product. But if you want to do something custom they work out really slick.