anyone own/drive a deuce and a half? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2004, 08:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 23228
anyone own/drive a deuce and a half?

I know this isn't technically a General 4x4 topic, but since there is no 6x6 topics, here we go...
Does anyone have a 2 1/2 ton military 6x6? I was thinking about getting one (for the sheer fun/amuesment/craziness of having the biggest truck in the city. It'd also make a demonically sick tow rig, being able to tow me and 6 buddy's rigs around.
So my questions are,
Since most of them are old, how is the condition of them (and the engine)?
Whats the gas milage and top speed like?
How much babying do they need, how much work to get em running good and strong?
Do people usually do a full driveline swap, and if so what do they swap in?
Any special (commercial) liscence needed to street the big fawker?
Are there different types/models? Say, singel wheel and duallies. I've seen some for sale, and it seemed one was slightly bigger, and the third was a good bit bigger? 10 ton maybe? Looked like the same axles...
Anything else I should know b efore looking too much into this?
Thanks a lot!

And post some pics if any of you have yer own!
Old 02-09-2004, 08:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 7938
Re: anyone own/drive a deuce and a half?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lubes

Anything else I should know b efore looking too much into this?

Yea, save your $$$
KS Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2004, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 5685
Send a message via Yahoo to ChinLei
I have a '52 GMC 2-1/2 Ton with around 32,000 on it. GMC 302 Straight 6. It has a 4 spd auto with a REB power shift kit. It's for sale in Rapid City, SD $1000.00. E-mail me for pics since I don't have a star. If I sell it I can buy one.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 16737
You will need to get at least a class B license to drive it(air brakes). Probly a class A to tow with it. Also the multi fuel engines suck a lot of fuel to get anywhere, and even at that rate are slow and underpowered. The top speed is around 50 mph, and they are uncomfortable. Yeah, there cool as hell to see cruising down the road, and the axles are nice, but thats about it.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 23228
Damnit, I figured this would be the news I would get. Damn nation.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 3659
Send a message via AIM to Hoyden
I drove a bunch of deuce and a halfs when I was working for Uncle Sam and have permanent hearing loss to prove it. No one who has ever spent any real time in one ever wants to do it again - especially not if you have to pay for parts and fuel. I will say that they will go places that would surprise you.

Jackie
Hoyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 06:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
#1 BURRITO IN NM!!!!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
we been thinking of picking up one to put our snowplow on and use for a farm truck.

Anyone know the turning radius off hand?
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 06:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6704
I've seen a few that people had removed the tadem axle setup in the rear and replaced it with a single rear axle making it a 4x4. Some even had the rear axle converted from DRW to SRW. That's got to improve it's road manners and turning ability.
KC0UIC
-.- -.-. ----- ..- .. -.-.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Mechanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 06:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 5115
Quote:
Originally posted by sceep
we been thinking of picking up one to put our snowplow on and use for a farm truck.

Anyone know the turning radius off hand?
Like the song says, give me 40 acres and I will turn this rig around...
madmarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 06:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
#1 BURRITO IN NM!!!!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
Quote:
Originally posted by madmarx

Like the song says, give me 40 acres and I will turn this rig around...

dual axle turning brakes? we need to be able to manuver fairly nimbly with the plow.

i guess i'll keep lookin for something else.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 5333
Send a message via Yahoo to 5spd
I know of one thats been sitting on a ranch for years, it has a firetruck body on it though, enclosed cab ect. I will have to see what the guy wants for it my next trip up to Cedarville...
5spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 11975
Send a message via AIM to MikeW Send a message via MSN to MikeW Send a message via Yahoo to MikeW
Those Powerwagons are nice.
In World War 2, they were made by Studebaker, Diamond T, GMC,and Dodge. Im positive that they remained on inventory to serve in Korea. I think the post war ones were made by White and Kaiser.

Actually out in the Pacific Islands, the trucks didn't really last long, and the sand wore out tires faster than normal.
MikeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 11168
Send a message via Yahoo to d.d.machine
I to have been looking at geting one ,,, I like the M35 multi fuel trucks ,, there is three wheels base lengths in them ,, and the turn rad should not be that bad ,, the axles go to about 38*

I have talked to three guys that have multi fuel M35 turbos and they all wear geting about 8 to 10 MPG .... not bad for a truck that well hold 17,000 LBS

the old GMC with the 270 and 302 SUCK,,, they got a F***ing auto in them and get about 3 or 4 MPH

There is a lot of 5 ton trucks around cheep to ,, but there to big to drive to the store or for puting a heep on the back of.

I have found some real nice M35 for under $5,000 with under 5,000 miles on them

P.S. if they don`t have the turbo keep looking for one that does.
O YA ,,, they DON`T have air brakes. Put a 18" sleeper behind the cab and call them a RV
d.d.machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:15 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 5115
Quote:
Originally posted by sceep

dual axle turning brakes? we need to be able to manuver fairly nimbly with the plow.

i guess i'll keep lookin for something else.
It shoudl work fine as a plow truck, and with the addition of power steering should be reasonably manueverable. THe couple that I have driven had manual steering. Not bad on the street, but a real workout while going slow. Can anyone say hydraulic assist....
madmarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:20 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 11072
drove m35 turbo's in the army. VERY fawking loud. I would not worry about any maintanence other than corrosion. Damn things sit in the motorpool and get weekly PM.

I personally think you are nuts. VERY LOUD. VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. HELL IN TRAFFIC.

Cool though in a "scare every other driver within a 1 mile radius" way.

j

metal furniture | fabrication | decor
new | rustic | recycled
redrangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:38 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 7412
i have two at the house, they are noisy as hell. they are a world better with the exhaust run underneath and out the back. and a muffler would not hurt anything. they run from 58 to 63 mph, i have never seen one that didn't fit between those #s. i have bought 14 of them over the past 4 years or so. they are not built for comfort at all. you can get antique tags here in texas for 55 bucks for 5 years and they don't require a special licence to drive. if you register it as a 2.5 ton the tags run 200 or so a year here. it would be cool for short run tow rig but anything over 3 hours would really suck. the hard tops are better for road driving than the soft tops. and if you did a spray liner on the floor boards it would help a buttload on noise and heat. 8 mpg seems to be the going # but they weigh right at 13k, so that is not bad. but to tell you the truth they don't tow near as well as you would think. they are weak motor wise. but some run better than others. i have one that a friend of mine bought and he wants out. 1500 bucks willl buy it and it starts faster than my cummins. but it needs a clutch, i have all the parts to do it just not the time. i have never got one that didn't start and run like a champ. th motors are spotless inside on everyone i have had. mike
Old 02-10-2004, 08:54 AM   #17 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
Check this thread, i know where you could probably get one cheap or possibly trade a boat for it

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...&highlight=6x6

You can buy them down the road from me (about 5 miles from work) Clark Equipment Sales.

He bought his for $4500, and couldn't find anyone to insure it.
Clark also sells 1 ton rear with lockers for $600-$1000

Here's the Clark Truck Parts website.
http://www.clarktruck.com/trucks/index.htm

Anyone need me to pick something up, let me know.

www.MountaineerOffroad.com

Last edited by SilverZuk; 02-10-2004 at 08:57 AM.
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:03 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 8768
Saw some 2 1/2 ton trucks this weekend in Bakersfield made by Stewart & Stevenson.

Did some poking around on the internet checking them out. VERY COOL. I want to see if I can find a van body civilian model. Not looking too promising. They're still pretty new. Anyway, some pics of the latest deuce-and-a-half.

Sitting next to my Land Rover those things are pretty dang impressive.

Old 02-10-2004, 10:17 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 14685
Send a message via AIM to braxton357
Looks a lot like a mog.

70 turbocharged 351w fastback mustang
73 linked 5.8efi Bronco
99 QCLB 4x4 twin'd cummins on meth.
braxton357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:25 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 23228
That's kind of a wussy deuse Serious, I was thinkin more like...

Old 02-10-2004, 10:27 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 23228
Although I'm really likin' the 10 ton...

Old 02-10-2004, 10:47 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 7875
Quote:
Originally posted by toploader
You will need to get at least a class B license to drive it(air brakes). Probly a class A to tow with it. Also the multi fuel engines suck a lot of fuel to get anywhere, and even at that rate are slow and underpowered. The top speed is around 50 mph, and they are uncomfortable. Yeah, there cool as hell to see cruising down the road, and the axles are nice, but thats about it.
Wrong - M-35's are just under 26,000lbs which is the limit for driving on a standard license

Plus they have hydraulic drum brakes to boot - 5 ton's and up have air brakes

They are slow and loud but can carry crap loads of weight - I know I fellow locally that has one and regularly carries 7 to 12 tons of cargo (rock and brick) - this is on top of that vehicle's own weight - the rig does just fine...

Put some 12.00r20's or some 13.00's if you really want to squeeze and your top speed goes up into the upper 60's low 70's - throw a brownie box behind the t-case and you can comfortably cruise at 80

Matt
wanderingwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 11:04 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 8768
Yeah, those are the BEEF.

I am looking for something that I honestly could drive around quasi-regularly on forest track roads or backcountry trails. Nothing with any kind of articulation mind you, I could tow my little rockcrawler behind it for when I want to do something fun.

If I was looking to haul 20 tons of rock I'd think that last truck might fit the bill.

Those trucks I posted were initially designed by Steyer Daimler-Puch, the guys who designed the Halflinger, Pinzgauer and the original Gelandewagens. Resemblance to the Mog is undeniable except this has beefier axles and are not portal. Oh, and a Caterpillar engine...(the Mog only spits out 120hp at best I think).
Old 02-10-2004, 12:02 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 25646
Send a message via AIM to imhuge999
I drove a 5 ton in the Army hauling trailers back and forth until I was sent to the sand. I filled the tanks up with fuel sometimes twice a day (retrofit dual 55 gallon tanks) when hauling heavier loads; they are not very economical.

They are not comfortable and I do not think I ever got one to go faster than 60 even downhill with the wind. They are very loud and lack the power you expect something that big to have. All the tractors we had were loaded with winches in the front which I think would be a good thing to look for if your looking to buy. The ones I drove most often had a straight 6 with a 5 speed trans and full air. A few had been updated with 10 speeds. IIRC they all had two speed t-cases. And were suprisingly capable off highway all things considered.

I didn't have to have a CDL because I was in the military but I have a class 'A' but that was because I was pulling trailers before the army. If you want just a troop carrier or won't pull a trailer then a B would work. You may have to take the 5th wheel off the tractor to prove you will not haul with it. You also have to check to see about inspections and emissions for commercial trucks. In Illinois I believe it was inspection twice a year and emissions once per year. It may be different now.

I went into the 82nd and didn't drive them for a while. I never got to see how they were in the sand but I hear the sand was pretty rough on them. I have heard the sand really stuck to the bearings and joints and they really had to be taken care of in the desert.

But when my duty was up, I had an urge to buy one (I do not know why) so I got a 10 ton. I think it cost 1000 and the guy said it came from Virginia (Ft. Eustice?) It was loud, uncomfortable and a fuel guzzler but it did not have a spec of rust which suprised me. It did have a lot of wear and needed some TLC. After two month I was able to find a semi tractor that jacknifed in a junkyard so I took the engine (Caterpillar) and the transmission (fuller) and put that in. It took a lot of messing around but I got it to work quite well. I also adpated the wiring, guages, and electrical from the donor truck to the 10 ton. I put in a set of used Bestop Jeep seats on homemade mounts. I had the interior Rhinolined (you should have seen the look on the kids face when I brought it in to be lined) to help with the noise and the fact that there are no floor mats. Later,To help the noise, I put carpet in it. I think it was out of a suburban. It didn't fit right but a little trimming made it fit good enough. I sold it a few years ago but it was a blast and it was nearly unstopable. I towed my jeep with it and as an excuse to drive it I even offered to haul stuff for people for a small fee. I went to WA for my uncle because he bought a few GTO's from an auction and we brought them back to Illinois without a problem. The seats, quiter interior, and updated drivetrain made it easier to drive.
imhuge999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:00 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 27006
I have a 1970 M35A2 deuce and have owned it for 3 years. I bought it for $1000, put $250 in used parts on it, and drove it home 250 miles. I drove it all over the place when I was in Memphis, TN. I moved back to WV about a year and a half ago and it took over 15 hours to drive that sucker home! It has been a blast to own and I would like to own a few more. I have mine insured through State Farm as an antique for like $60 a year. I just took it for about a 2 hour trip the other day on some snowy fireroads. Mine tops out between 50-55mph max and gets about 10mpg. It starts quick at just about any temp. I love the vertical exhaust stack and roll the windows down just to listen to it. I say go for it! Check out my site for a lot more info on all kinds of big trucks. Steel Soldiers Let me know if you have any ?s
steelsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote