Breathing in Metal Dust...? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2004, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 12758
Breathing in Metal Dust...?

Just wonding what your guys opinions are on it... I have never been a hardcore fabricator but am finding that I am doing a shitload of it really for the first time in my life with this last rig. Nothing crazy, mostly motor mounts crossmembers, body work and other misc fab... In the last couple of days I have breathed in a shitload of metal dust, I have worn a mask at times but because it's a PITA don't that often, only unless "I'm really getting into it." How often do you guys wear masks and has breathing the dust caused any problems? I have been working like a dog for the last week-two, my full time job then about full time down at the shop trying to get this thing done... Last night I developed a pretty nasty cough and generally feel like shit, partly because I've run myself down and partly because of the dust I believe...

Any comments? I'm interested in hearing if you can get sick from fabrication... I know about the pending lawsuits against the major manufacturers from stick welding. Luckily I am Mig welding... But at the same time, I am using 100% CO2 any danger in breathing in those fumes as well?
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2004, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 5982
The metal dust really tears up my sinuses and leads to sinus infections. If I'm doing anything other then a quick pass on the sander then I wear a mask. You know you've been at it too long by the sheeot you blow out of your nose.

Go down and find a comfortable mask, something you don't mind wearing and has replaceable filters.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2004, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 21180
I am a pretty healthy individual, and I am pretty resiliant to such things, but I will tell you that when I work for an hour or two doing grinding and I dont wear a mask, I can smell the metal in my skin, I feel it in my lungs, and it makes me very uncomfortable. On the reality side of it, metal rusts. Your body is 66 - 70% water. You do the math. Rust cant be good.

The metal that gets into my lungs makes me hack for at least 2 - 3 hours afterwards. I would recommend always wearing a mask when metal is flying around.
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2004, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 2685
Check these respirators out:
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2004/513.cfm?

I just received an order of them and they are very comfortable.

Last edited by convertiyota; 02-10-2004 at 01:35 PM.
convertiyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2004, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 20114
Send a message via AIM to Overbear
Quote:
Originally posted by KC_JoNeS
On the reality side of it, metal rusts. Your body is 66 - 70% water. You do the math. Rust cant be good.

The metal that gets into my lungs makes me hack for at least 2 - 3 hours afterwards. I would recommend always wearing a mask when metal is flying around.
Actualy rust, or more directly iron, is why your blood is red iron bonds with the o2 in your blood and carrys it to the cels. However, I can't emagin breathign in tons of metal dust is good for you. I know when I work on a reciver (part time gunsmith) i wear my mask. If I don't I can feal it in my breathing for hours after.

“Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.”-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarogenius View Post
When I'm the voice of reason, it's a pretty good indication that someone's doing it wrong.
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2004, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 1745
Send a message via AIM to 64rovr
I got super sick (realy nasty hacking cough, tasted like blood but none visible) a few weeks ago from fabricating.

I had just come back from a high school basketball game, where I was screaming quite ludly most of the game. My throat was hoarse and I could feel it.

I proceeded to weld on some very greasy, nasty metal, of which all the smoke went right under my helmet and into my lungs.

After that, I was cleaning some parts with brake cleaner, and the caustic smell of that got right to me as well.

I was in rough shape for a few days, from then on I have always worn a mask to protect myself, not so much from the metal dust but from the fumes and other associated things.
64rovr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2004, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
it makes for some good boogers. i normally dont wear anything but most of the stuff i do is outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZukIzzy View Post
Oh and Frequency is for radios
We are all born Arminians. It is grace that turns us into Calvinists
-George Whitefield
mobil1syn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2004, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 15697
I always wear a mask, but I do a lot of rubber grinding too, and that just sucks to breathe in. I just use the cheapie cotton masks though.. so far so good
Old 02-10-2004, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
Send a message via AIM to GRMhick
Right after x-mas I got a metal shaving in my ear ( i believe) and got a SERIOUS ear enfection (ear sweeled shut). I am to the point now that when I so almost any work, I have gloves, boots, eye protection, a face shield, ear protection, and most of the time a resperator on.

Ya, it isnt confterable, but nieher is being in the emergency room, and having your ear hurting so bad you cant move.

I will take the safety equiptment ANYTIME
GRMhick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2004, 01:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 14570
Each night after you are done grinding, be sure to clean your nose out real good when you shower. I shoot the water up my nose and blow it out, it has made a huge difference for me since I started doing this.
Hickeyjones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2004, 01:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
4" penis

Member # 2931
i weld/grind/carbon arc/torch 10 hours a day, 4-5 days a week. its nasty fluxcore/ CO2 shielded 1/16'' wire that smokes like a SOB and most of the welding is done in positions were you inhale A LOT of smoke. ive been working like this for about 4 months now and ive noticed a drastic UNWANTED change in the length of my penis, i have a constant case of diarrea farts, it seems im going bald suddenly and i have black boogers the size of small rodents???

1997 fzj80 with asian won tons

Irok radial/bias 36/37" spares for 17" wheels for sale$50-75/each.
Booger Weldz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2004, 01:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 11995
Send a message via MSN to MossMan Send a message via Yahoo to MossMan
yea, blowin your nose is nasty after a few hours in the garage with the grinder I bought a box of the little paper masks and I'm not sure they do much good. I can't get them to seal up good around my mouth and nose. Plus, if your wearing safety glasses every time you exhale they fog up and you can't see shit
Old 02-10-2004, 01:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 12758
Quote:
Originally posted by Hickeyjones
Each night after you are done grinding, be sure to clean your nose out real good when you shower. I shoot the water up my nose and blow it out, it has made a huge difference for me since I started doing this.
Don't worry I let them fly like it is going out of style.. Nice and black...

I also try to vent the room whenever possible, I open up the garage for about 5 minutes and let the air clear out and it makes a difference but it is cold up here so I can't just leave it open...

Booger Weldz you made me laugh a little but I hope for your sake you are joking at least a little!
Old 02-10-2004, 01:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 12758
Quote:
Originally posted by Hickeyjones
But at the same time today was really the first day boogers and silt were in there the day after... I will definetly start wearing my mask more often. I had a piece of metal fall into my eye a couple of months ago (remember that thread) and that did suck, indeed!

No health insurance on this end. What could happen right?
Old 02-10-2004, 02:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 1108
I just use a fan or hope for a good breeze and do what I gotta do. If I'm gunna be sitting in one spot for awhile (like grinding a caliper or something) I'll throw a cheapie paper mask on. The big grey snot rockets fly after and take a good shower and no problems so far.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 595
You only get one set of lungs so don't fab without filtering them.
You chose either a cigarette or a mask/respirator.

I use a mask about 50% of the time I should and I can tell when I should have after the fact. If you are asking then you obviously should be wearing them.

I have a respirator and I buy 3M masks that have a neopream (<SP) seal area and they work great.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9722
it just makes my boogers black.
TexasBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2004, 03:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4830
If there is metal in the air, more than likely there is silicate in the air. BAD STUFF. I now wear lots of diposable masks in the garage. I also keep a box of ear plugs nailed to the wall.

beerman
HeyBeerMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2004, 03:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 15697
Quote:
Originally posted by Booger Weldz
i weld/grind/carbon arc/torch 10 hours a day, 4-5 days a week. its nasty fluxcore/ CO2 shielded 1/16'' wire that smokes like a SOB and most of the welding is done in positions were you inhale A LOT of smoke. ive been working like this for about 4 months now and ive noticed a drastic UNWANTED change in the length of my penis, i have a constant case of diarrea farts, it seems im going bald suddenly and i have black boogers the size of small rodents???
Is that why last time I passed through Oakdale it smelled so bad in certain parts?
Old 02-10-2004, 09:53 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 23452
i work in my fab shop during the day and still work fulltime nights, 17 hours a day in steel fab gets to you, i wear a mask as much as i can but there is some times when i dont. i feel it when i dont, take some advice from a newbe to this site and where a mask as much as you can, jason.
420willys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2004, 09:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
BBP

Member # 8225
It really pays to get a good respirator because that usually makes the difference between wearing it all the time or wearing it some of the time. My biggest issue is sweating under the respirator, I actually feel more uncomfortable due to that usually than when my head is full of metal shavings.

Black crap in your nose = respirator time. No crap = no respirator.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:06 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 19652
Send a message via AIM to socalchef
ever see the picture on the net of the guy making a ninja face wrap out of a tshirt? i've been working on my jeep, while prepping my 8.8 for mounts and perches i used a shirt .bought some masks but they sucked, didn't fit my face right and they fell apart. ninja face wrap...put tshirt on but leave the hole around your face, pull the rest towards the back and tie the arms around the back of your head, fold the collar of the hole in up over your nose and the top in just above your eyes. works well with those cheap welding goggles when grinding. got a spark in my ear, and then a couple particles drifted into my regular goggles necessitating a trip to the ER. since then i've been all about the green goggles and a tshirt wrapping my head.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 1129
I am welding, cutting and grinding 8-10 hrs a day.

I dont wear a mask or face shield or safety glasses or gloves...

I am an idiot for doing so.

My left hand reeks of C25 after a day of welding. My hand/arm has weld splatter marks all over. I have burn marks below my left wrist.

I would wear gloves if I could find some that are more user friendly. and I would have a face mask if my dog hadnt dragged it away and chewed it up

Hashtags are for fags
Benny is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2004, 10:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
RMW
Moo 2 U

Member # 16565
Send a message via AIM to RMW Send a message via Yahoo to RMW
i have never worn a mask - but the thought has crossed my mind.

i dont spend as many hours welding, cuting, burning, and grinding as most of you - so it hasn't really been a priority.

only time i get the black boogers is if i'm doing TONS of grinding and I'm out in the garage for nearly the whole day (thats rare)

Otherwise, my skin just gets a little dirty.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:40 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 4568
Send a message via AIM to YeeP
A couple of weeks ago at work they made us watch this saftey film. When I first started watching it it was the same old shit, but they got to a part about welding and grinding. They reccomenend two different types of resperators, one for welding and one for grinding. Apparently the filters are different, and do not interchange on the same resperator.I am still trying to find the different kinds.

I called the welding shop I use and the guy had no idea. Anyone heard of this?

Thanks,

Ryan
YeeP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.