Pirate 4x4 banner

Anyone Bought Yukon Gear Brand R&Ps Lately?

7K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Valley Rock 
#1 ·
Searched; no answer.

Did they have a phosphate coating or gear marking compound on them?

Bought some that came in the econo brand box (I know sometimes they use the other box)....trying to determine if I got what I actually ordered.

Seller told me that if they were econo, they'd have phosphate coating and gear marking compound. Mine have nothing but oil. Seems to me the econo brand wouldn't bother running a pattern....and phosphate coating is an added cost so why do it to an economy gear?

"Trust but verify" is where I'm at. ;)

Thanks,
Sean

#4 ·
From what I understand USA Standard are Yukon rejects that don't pass Quality control. Look at engraved numbers on the pinion or ring gear. They should be within .007 of the factory pinion depth. If it's more than that, they're likely rejects. I have quite using Yukon gears all together in my shop for reasons like this. I've started using mainly Motive as our go to gear because the quality is at least consistent.

#7 ·
Things are good. Finally moved and built a shop! Starting the wife's Jeep project as soon as we get some tables and stands and stuff made.

#9 ·
From my limited experience with Toyota gears the "better" yukons are smoother and the USA gear cheaper have heavier machine marks. I did a front and rear of both on 2 different trucks the USA were a little noisy for the first few miles while they broke in. I was told by marlins guy the more expensive ones have more time put in machining them smoother for faster break in. Take it for what its worth, may be BS.

#11 ·
I stopped using Yukon after eating several sets of D44's and D50's (Superpoopy axle) with nothing but mild trail use. I don't trust the consistency in their hardening process. I switched to Nitro from ECGS and haven't had a single issue. I use them in wheeling/crawlers and work trucks that see abusive use.

#13 ·
US Gear (NOT USA Standard) are made in Chicago of US steel. They're a subsidiary of AxleTech, and do a lot of OEM gears (Ford, I think).

Tom's Differentials - Home of MADE IN THE U.S.A. carries their whole line, and Strange sells a few.

I haven't tried them yet, but US steel, forging, cutting, and hardening sounds better than "whatever surprise we throw in the box".

#18 ·

It kind of goes like this.... I know there are Yukon haters out there and nothing will change their mind, so I'm not going to try...

Yukon has their own version of how an item should be made and as such have designed their own product, with their own quality standards. Basically any company that makes a product to their standards goes in their Yukon box - be it USA, Korea, China, India, etc. Be it Spicer, Yukon, Richmond, Precision, OEM, etc.

Now they have USA Standard, which is basically a gear that fails some parts of their QC process. When tooling gets old and dull, it makes marks on the surface. (without getting all techy...) Those marks can cause gear whine. Yukon gears will always setup perfect and be quiet gears. USA Standard are the downgraded versions that might setup noisy. Now that they have the USA Standard label, even some OEM's won't be put in a Yukon box.

USA Standard gears are strong, quality gears. I'm not saying their junk... They even carry the same 1 year warranty as the Yukon gear. In a situation where gear noise doesn't matter, USA Standard is a good choice that is less expensive. That said, I have some shops that all they buy are USA Standard gears and none of them have reported back to me that they have had any they could even hear, let alone excessive noise.

I would put a Yukon up to a Dana Spicer gear any day.

#16 ·
Sean that if you ordered Yukon gears and they did not come in a Yukon box then you did not get Yukon gears… We use Yukon every day and have great set ups and success. I document every gear set we do if you like to see some.

#17 · (Edited)
I bought and installed a set of zip lockers and 5.38 gears earlier this year including Yukon master install kit. Bought from a vendor on here. I'm not a pro on gears but these set up fine and run smooth and quiet so far. Only have around 500 miles though. 2008 f250 Dana 60 and sterling 10.5

My gears came in Yukon packaging, machine work looked clean, they looked phosphoras coated, and there was no gear marking compound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.