Three Phase 440 - 220 Rewire? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2004, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 9467
Three Phase 440 - 220 Rewire?

I searched here and on the internet but cannot find info on rewiring a three phase motor from 440V (480) to 220V (240). I have 220 3 phase at my shop but two new machines I just purchased came from a shop wired 440.

Can someone point me to a website or a book I can buy to learn this from? Or even a wiring diagram? Any help is appreciated.

I can't wait to get these hooked up so I can start making chips.
lt1yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2004, 10:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 11356
Send a message via AIM to big97redtj
If you pop the cover plate off of the motor where the terminations are, there should be a schematic.

Or it should be on the motor nameplate itself.
big97redtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2004, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 9467
First place I looked. No schematic on the inside of the cover and the motor tag just has the basic info no schematic.

I know what you're saying though. I have seen the schematic on another data plate, now I need to go look at the other machines in my shop. Should have thought of that first.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 4985
One thing to add, if your machines have lower voltage control make sure you reconfigure your control transformer for 220v
iroc-cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2004, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 9467
Ok,

Checked the other machines in my shop and found a readable schematic. I rewired one of the machines and fired it up. Only took 5 minutes to do. The wires were labled 1-9 and simple.

Second machine has a reversing switch. The switch goes to a 3x3 terminal grid. The wires weren't labeled so I took an educated guess based on the schematic from the other motor. I guess I got lucky becuase it fired right up and runs both directions.

I do have a transformer that just runs a work light. I planned to just wire it to a 110 plug instead of the transformer, then disconnect the transformer. Any reason not to?
Old 03-31-2004, 11:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 24859
look on the motor leads ( the wires) sometimes the voltage # is printed on the leads you use for that voltage. Those are gonna suck some juice on 3 phase 220 so set your amperage correctly , meaning use right wire size and breaker so they don't heat up.
peesalot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2004, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
I brought the beer

Member # 10203
Send a message via ICQ to JeepRecoveryTeam Send a message via AIM to JeepRecoveryTeam Send a message via Yahoo to JeepRecoveryTeam
PM 025 here on the board. He just wired his shop with 3 phase.

d
Old 03-31-2004, 01:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 26216
Send a message via Yahoo to Gummi Bear
If the motor has a 9 wire peckerhead (this is what you call the box on the outside of the motor where the terminations belong)

And it was wired for 480

Your phase wires are as follows - brown(A phase), orange(B phase), yellow(C phase)) should be to wires labeled 1, 2, 3 respectively; with 4 to 7, 5 to 8, 6 to 9 wired together. This is common high voltage motor wiring.

For low voltage it will be as following:

Tie phase leads to 4(A phase), 5(B phase), 6(C phase)

1 to 7, 2 to 8, 3 to 9 tied together.

Don't forget your ground!

Note: The most important part of any motor is the nameplate. Check the data given on the plate before making the connections.

Peesalot is correct, in that your efficiency will be reduced, and your load will increase.

What is the HP rating of the motor? Does the nameplate have suggested max ampacity (FLA)? Does the motor require a starter (contactor with thermal overload protection devices)? It's not as simple as just swapping over wires. Do you need to provide a new disconnect? Size your fuses properly also.

Also note: some cities require the "B" phase to be labeled with a violet color, instead of orange.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 26216
Send a message via Yahoo to Gummi Bear
If you have any other questions, you can PM me. If you feel uncomfortable or unsure, call an electrician. An $80per hour service call beats the hell out of a smoked motor and damaged equipment.

Be safe whatever you do, make damn good and sure the power is off before working on it, and label it so that nobody tries to turn it on while you are working on it.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 17313
there are several ways to reduce voltage, depending on the wire configureration. The primary reason for reducing voltage is for s soft start, reducing the current while the motor accelerates.

6 wire motors.
These can be wired in either wye or delta. for changing the voltage. ie; 208 on delta or 120 on wye. and 460 on delta, or 265 on wye. They also can be wired in both wye and delta for soft starting.

9 wire motors.
9 wire motors hace two coils per phase, and can be wired in wye or delta, but not both. you can either run the coils in series for 460V or in parrallel for 230V.

12 wire motors.
12 lead wye motors are similar to six lead motors, except there are two coils per phase. Thus, the 12 lead motor has dual voltage ratings and, like the 9 lead motor, the pahse coils would be connected in series for high voltage and in parrallel for low voltage.
12 lead delta motors are also dual voltage, but they are used where reduced voltage starting is desired. The coils would be connected in wye to start, and in delta to run.

clear as mud?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.