Would you like CTIS on your rig? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2004, 04:13 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 27312
Send a message via ICQ to Amund Send a message via MSN to Amund
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsub
Well you can go ahead and give those axles to me......

I don't know which of my remarks you were replying to. I said no one has used a rotational coupling on the backside of a wheel for ctis on a conventional(non-portal) axle that i know of.

I was just replying to what you said that if you can abuse it, you'd buy it. I just meant that I won't put time into making it for unimog axles, as I don't need it myself, and that kit already exists

Blueprints for russian patents would be cool, I have been interested in seeing how those crazy people solve it... I've noticed all terrain trucks from over there have CTIS...

10 grand is funny yes. I was thinking more like $1000 for my system to make it worh wile developing it... but that's probably too expensive as well for people to buy. (However, I have no clue what the parts will cost...)

Last edited by Amund; 06-22-2004 at 04:17 PM.
Amund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:20 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 18452
1000? people would buy it for that price
Old 06-22-2004, 05:29 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 20105
M35a3

the "new" military cargo trucks - M35A3's have CTIS and they run the rockwell axles I believe. Not sure how they have them hooked up. I will have to ask over on the mil-veh list.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:09 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 29634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amund
I was just replying to what you said that if you can abuse it, you'd buy it. I just meant that I won't put time into making it for unimog axles, as I don't need it myself, and that kit already exists

Bro...Reread what i said. I said for regular axles NOT mogs. I would be interested for my non mog rig(s)
I want to make sure what I said was understandable because I would like someone to comment on it.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:19 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 27312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsub
Bro...Reread what i said. I said for regular axles NOT mogs. I would be interested for my non mog rig(s)
I want to make sure what I said was understandable because I would like someone to comment on it.
Okay, I didn't get it then. All I can say is that I'm going to try to do this for my daily driver, I don't know if it will be fast, but that is not necessary either in my opinion, it doesn't matter if it takes five minutes to air up or down, I don't care because I'm driving, not crouching at the wheel.
Amund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 01:44 AM   #31 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 18822
I would pay $1000 !!

no problem with that just make it work and we will buy it like hot cakes.
Eduardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amund

Blueprints for russian patents would be cool, I have been interested in seeing how those crazy people solve it... I've noticed all terrain trucks from over there have CTIS...

10 grand is funny yes. I was thinking more like $1000 for my system to make it worh wile developing it... but that's probably too expensive as well for people to buy. (However, I have no clue what the parts will cost...)
Old 09-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 29634
Reviving one of the old ctis threads because i moved up into the hills and the long road sucks. So now its more of a necessity than before, really just for ride control more then traction. I think i'd rather do CTIS then suspension/airbags. So i was wanting to get an update on whats available commercially and what people have tried. I'd like to put it on all the vehicles, not just the mogs. The mogs will be done right but the other daily drivers, i don't really care if they have the goofy supply lines running on the outside to the tire. I guess i also need to look into what 31-35" tires will handle the most miles of running aired down.

Here is who i know of, anybody else?:
www.transtech.com
www.tireboss.com
www.aircti.com
eaton/dana
www.tirepressurecontrol.com
www.tireinflation.com
www.cmautomotive.com

Last edited by bigsub; 09-25-2008 at 03:54 PM.
bigsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 18521
We put these on a lot of trucks we build (I work for Peterbilt), they work great. We use the sealed hub design. An air supply feeds the hub and there is an outlet the the end of the hub with a rotating coupling and 2 hoses going to the duals. You would be hard pressed doing this for 1000, you would have that much in valves, fittings, and piping. Then you would need custom hubs, OBA, and a CPU (or use mechanical valves). It would be cool, but pricey.

http://www.roadranger.com/Roadranger...tis)/index.htm

the link to the PDF's on the right side of the screen give some detailed info.

From this site:http://auto.howstuffworks.com/self-inflating-tire1.htm

While the available tire inflation systems vary in design, they share some common elements.

They all use some type of valve to isolate individual tires to prevent airflow from all tires when one is being checked or inflated.

They have a method for sensing the tire pressures. This is addressed in most cases with central sensors that relay information to an electronic control unit and then to the driver.

They have an air source, which is usually an existing onboard source such as braking or pneumatic systems. When using an existing system, however, they have to ensure that they don't jeopardize its original function. For this reason, there are safety checks to ensure that there is enough air pressure for the source's primary use before pulling air for tire inflation.

There has to be a way to get the air from the air source to the tires, which is usually through the axle. Systems either use a sealed-hub axle with a hose from the hub to the tire valve or else they run tubes through the axle with the axle acting as a conduit.

There has to be a pressure relief vent to vent air from the tire without risking damage to the hub or rear-axle seals.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:41 PM   #34 (permalink)
Car-toonist Maximus

Member # 43371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amund View Post
would you like to fit it with a CTIS system?
(CUT)
just wondering (...)if somebody's already selling it?
1.Yes
and
2.Yes (Equipe 4x4 developed an internal CTIS system for the LR Defender which is currently advertised...dunno if it's officially available already, and price, but it's surely mucho expensive).

ATM I'd be happy to fix my OBA from leaking air with some glue...

Custom car-toons > whitedogcomics.blogspot.it/ rockbuggies welcome!
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 5861
I saw a few rigs in Sweden using what looked like a CTIS system. They were on a couple 6x6 Volvo’s and some C303’s. Looked like a standard thing on the hubs, almost like a truck speed sensor thing. I asked one guy about it and he said worked pretty well to 10 psi. I will see if I can dig a few pics that show the hub. I have an older pic below where you can see the rubber line (top right) for the air. There is a separate air line for the locker, a bit thinner. Amund, Check around pirate4x4.no you may already be there, but may be worth posting there as well.

I think would be a pretty cool idea for rigs that do not get beat on the rocks unless you can come up with a very low profile setup that would not get decapitaded.

There were big Paris Dakar rigs running some really cool fast setups, try searching on that. Could be a cool market for Baja and desert racers, sqand dune rigs, etc here too

Last edited by geberhard; 09-26-2008 at 02:57 PM.
geberhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:36 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 5110
Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard View Post
...There were big Paris Dakar rigs running some really cool fast setups, try searching on that. Could be a cool market for Baja and desert racers, sqand dune rigs, etc here too
Many of the Dakar vehicles that used CTIS did it with flexible hoses from the body to the outside of the hub. It is inexpensive and easy to do but the hoses are vulnerable to getting ripped off.

You want something like this except many of the guys in the Dakar run either metric or BSPP fittings.
http://www.duffnorton.com/products/s.../Series300.pdf
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amund View Post

honestly, I don't see how you can engineer anything that could park itself behind the wheel (forget spindle as there is no room in there without other major mods.) and actually survive.

The hub is really the only workable solution I can see, but then you have a hose hanging on the outside of the vehicle.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:15 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 4321
Send a message via ICQ to DEnd Send a message via AIM to DEnd Send a message via MSN to DEnd Send a message via Yahoo to DEnd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Waldher View Post
honestly, I don't see how you can engineer anything that could park itself behind the wheel (forget spindle as there is no room in there without other major mods.) and actually survive.

The hub is really the only workable solution I can see, but then you have a hose hanging on the outside of the vehicle.
this is how Dana/Spicer does drive axles.

Last edited by DEnd; 09-28-2008 at 11:17 PM.
DEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:11 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 41063
CTIS is a pain in the ass and more trouble than it's worth. Many military vehicles have had it disabled because it is a maintenance nightmare and is constantly breaking. I'll pass.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 27312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
CTIS is a pain in the ass and more trouble than it's worth. Many military vehicles have had it disabled because it is a maintenance nightmare and is constantly breaking. I'll pass.
I know.

Why do you think this thread died four years ago?
Old 09-29-2008, 02:28 PM   #41 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 4691
Send a message via ICQ to stover
better photo of Robby Gordon's CITS setup

Here's a close up shot.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 29634
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsub View Post
Reviving one of the old ctis threads because i moved up into the hills and the long road sucks. So now its more of a necessity than before, really just for ride control more then traction. I think i'd rather do CTIS then suspension/airbags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
So do you think i should just do bags?
Old 01-12-2014, 03:38 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 412162
Ctis

Here is some picture on my CTIS system, but it is on Volvo Portals.
"too High To Get It Right" Portal Comanche - Page 5 - Your project MJs - Comanche Club Forums
huricane4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 68649
I very vaguely recall that I read an advertisement years ago on some offroad mag that Timken offered special hub bearings for full floaters suitable for CTIS conversions that were popular in at least one of the states of your USA. I'd assume the bearings were simply made with a groove down the bore of the inner race to allow a tube to lay along the length of the hub spindle and run into an ARB style rotary coupling between the outer hub bearing and the bearing adjusting nut/washer . Most full floating spindles have insufficient wall thickness to allow an air hole to be drilled along the length of the spindle tube, so I guess that was Timkens solution to the problem.
Agrover is offline   Reply With Quote