relative strength of np208 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2002, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3636
relative strength of np208

i already tried a few searches
im running a 360, auto tranny, 4.10s and 38s(yeah i know my crawl ratio sucks) im wondering if the 208 is up to this. truck weighs prolly about 5000#. not too stupid with the gas. i will be building a 203/205 combo but its gonna take some time fore its done. i read somewhere that they are actually pretty strong chain drives but i dont know for sure.
zstrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1700
so what is it out of? chevy, ford, dodge, jeep????? i know tom eliston of sunray eng. ( the developer of the ford 9"/d60 hybrid) recomends using a 208. it is light weight and stronger than the cj version t-cases. they have a large output shaft that take abuse better than the d300 can. he likes the dodge version because the chevy version uses a slip yoke. actually the ford and fsj versions use a fixed yoke too. if you are running a chevy you can take a dodge case and swap out the input gears between the two and have fixed yoke unit. anyway i don't run one but alot of the guys he runs with have a fixed yoke 208 behind healthy v8's and they have no problems.

also the main weak point of the 208 is it's aluminum case. it is prone to breakage or cracking if not setup correctly. make sure your d/shafts do not bottom out. this will surely leave the 208 with a broken housing. and also make sure it is protected from rocks. put a skid plate under it. hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2002, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4224
I have a bud who runs them, they are pretty strong, he runs one in his crawler w/ 39.5s and another in a mud drag truck with big ass motor, they will take some serious use for a while.