Pirate 4x4 banner

2 1/2 ton rockwell 2" axle buildup

49K views 137 replies 35 participants last post by  54inches 
#1 ·
These are the 2" X 47 spline, forged aircraft quality 4340 axles and components made buy Ouverson Eng. This customer asked for a locker in the front and mini spool for the rear. This will be a step by step machining procedure for installing this setup. steve

Attachments

See less See more
#80 ·
NOCTURNL said:
i just look at it as an offroad site where we all like to wheel and beat on our rigs and enjoy our recreation. ro
x2 and them damn trucks are sweet and put a true test on your shaft's.What were the 39 splines?Were they the stuff out of the 5 ton housing's?The more I think about it the more I think I might just buy your standard size alloy shaft's.I have never heard of anyone breaking these.

#81 ·
TheRipper said:
x2 and them damn trucks are sweet and put a true test on your shaft's.What were the 39 splines?Were they the stuff out of the 5 ton housing's?The more I think about it the more I think I might just buy your standard size alloy shaft's.I have never heard of anyone breaking these.
the 39 splines were my first 2 inch shafts i ever built out of chromolly. i kept breaking the stock stuff and i was a machinist so i thought i had to do something so i picked up a cnc lathe and a gear hobber and it all started from there. i then went to the 47 spline shafts to increase the minimum diameter and increase the strength as much as i could. ro

#85 ·
YOu're running pinion brakes and can easily see the spindle bolts let alone throw a wrench on them to see if they're tight or not. Guys with wheel brakes (me included) have a lot of work to get to them to check...I know sure as hell don't check mine-

I still don't think the axle popped and pushed everything out. No way.

Heh,heh...I think the question may be when you put those 2"ers in your buggy...what beside the axles will you break pounding it? Be fun to watch if you get into TTC 06!

#86 ·
spicergear said:
YOu're running pinion brakes and can easily see the spindle bolts let alone throw a wrench on them to see if they're tight or not. Guys with wheel brakes (me included) have a lot of work to get to them to check...I know sure as hell don't check mine-

Heh,heh...I think the question may be when you put those 2"ers in your buggy...what beside the axles will you break pounding it? Be fun to watch if you get into TTC 06!

Thanks, I have never had mine come loose and after you said that about the problems with the studs, I went out in the garage and did some destructive testing on a spair spindle and knuckle. I run 3/8" X 1" bolts in mine. I wanted to see if the threads would pull out of the knuckle or the grade eight bolts would break first. I performed a torque test and of the three test bolts they all broke and did not hurt the threads in the knuckle. With the shoulder on the spindle (locks to knuckle) I dont see how you could shear the spindle off. The bolts are small but there is a bunch of them.

I want to say I have seen a spindle come off back wheen they used these axles for small monster trucks like the one Steve has posted. Does that rig get jumped much??

#87 ·
to be honest, i have never had issues with my rockwells on any part. i have seen one broken knuckle and one broken top gear and a broken tie rod. no problems with spindles or tubes yet. the thing is, i have thought about what if i break a spindle. we jump our trucks and do stupid stuff, so i have it covered. if and when this happens, i will basically offer a forged front spindle tube with the larger id bearings which would put more meat on the spindle. things like that i have thought thru so if an issue ever comes up, we can take care of it. ro

#89 ·
spicergear said:

I can not remmber but did the guy that lost the spindle have his hub's flipped?I have seen people flip there hubs and then grind some of the bolt head's on the spindle off some for more clearence.That could lead to easily breaking something up there.I just got another front and the guy that had it before grinded part of the stud head off so they would not hit the bolt heads holding the spindle on.He wheeled it for 3 years like that so I will just leave it alone for now.There are alot of backyard things done to these axles instead of doing what should be done.I think that might cause some of the odd breakages that we see here and there.

#90 ·
Shaker said:
So this is what you were doing when I called you.....Good work steve.....Any pics of him thrashing on it yet?
Tug-of-war on the drag strip, all of these trucks have taken on weight and weight 10,000 lbs. ea. All of the camera men you see are shooting for the speed channel and trucksgonewild.com. First victim for the 2" axles is chuck, yup, chucks trucks.

Attachments

#97 ·
Dale's truck has 2" x 47 spline axles in the rear and stock axles in the front, he won the pull - off. All of these trucks are weighed up to 10,000 lbs. ea. The winner hooks up to a moster truck COWBOY, unfortunately it was raining and at this last pull and the track was wet,(slip and slide) but made a nice pic. Those are 44" x 66" on Cowboy.

Attachments

#100 ·
orangefj45 said:
wow, that looks like it's holding up to some abuse....
You have got to see the tape on this, to see these 48X31 tires ripping the rubber right off of the track down to the concrete. This drag strip has 38 years of rubber on it. When i walked on the track i had to curl my toes just to keep my boots on. There was many other trucks to. steve

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.