Pirate 4x4 banner

2 1/2 ton rockwell 2" axle buildup

49K views 137 replies 35 participants last post by  54inches 
#1 ·
These are the 2" X 47 spline, forged aircraft quality 4340 axles and components made buy Ouverson Eng. This customer asked for a locker in the front and mini spool for the rear. This will be a step by step machining procedure for installing this setup. steve

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
MC said:
I am curious Steve...why didnt you guys use Randy's new locker for the 2"?

They are. Steve Im doing the exact same thing this week. But when we went to bore the carrier halfs, mine had about .035 runout. Memphis Equipment had some NEW halfs and they were true to .003.

Great pictures and write, up I plan to have mine ready in a few weeks. Im glad you are posting the tec. :D

Dan

#17 · (Edited)
nice job on this write up Steve!! Great idea too for those that are having trouble with the stock axles and want to upgrade. Any chance you could offer up a price for the work pictured above? Does anyone make a bearing to replace the bushing in the spindle for the 2" shaft? Would putting a bearing there make it a weak point as it requires more machining to get it in there?

I will be installing the brakes next weekend(weather permitting). they look great and I hope the install is as easy as it seems.

JJ

#18 ·
Hey, thanks alot steve for doing this and letting people know what is involved. I know that dan is talking about doing a write up on his install to so i think this will help educate the public on these new 2 inch shafts. thanks for all the help and business guys. ro

#19 ·
JJSBADYJ said:
nice job on this write up Steve!! Great idea too for those that are having trouble with the stock axles and want to upgrade. Any chance you could offer up a price for the work pictured above? Does anyone make a bearing to replace the bushing in the spindle for the 2" shaft? Would putting a bearing there make it a weak point as it requires more machining to get it in there?

I will be installing the brakes next weekend(weather permitting). they look great and I hope the install is as easy as it seems.

JJ
A roller bearing can used on the stock axles but there is not enough room with the 2" shafts. The bushing has .070 wall thickness. The rear axles will be up tonite.

#22 ·
NOCTURNL said:
Hey, thanks alot steve for doing this and letting people know what is involved. I know that dan is talking about doing a write up on his install to so i think this will help educate the public on these new 2 inch shafts. thanks for all the help and business guys. ro

Randy, are you still planning on the full spool for the 2"ers? Steve thats what I meant and RO is who I meant when I said Randy..LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.