h1 rim insert options? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2006, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2274
Send a message via AIM to Dust Puppy
h1 rim insert options?

ok i have seen this hashed out all over the place but there really is not any good yes/not AND WHY tech on what inserts to use on h1 rims.

ive seen people saying not to use the stock runflats.... ive heard its fine to use the stock runflats. ive heard and read alot of things i just need a clarification. im looking at prices for aftermarket inserts and recenters and rock rings and when you add it all up..... going though the pain of redo'n a hummer rim the time and the cost ends up being the same as getting on the phone and ordering a set of new double beadlocks.

i dont get it am i missing something.... this isnt a slam dont take it that way. im looking to buy h1 rims right now thats what is bringing this all on. but the costs just keep adding up!!!

here is what im thinking..... im looking at h1 rims cause i need something with alot of bs. i really dont care about the look of what a pretty center would be cause paint can do wonders. the bs is fine for "me" and im ok with going with a 16.5" radial tire(not really for me anyway its for my dads rig).

so here is what it comes down to.... i found a set of 4 for about 400 bucks, the 12 bolt version. i figure ok cool good price. now i need inserts right.... i can probably pick up mag. runflat inserts for 20 bucks or so each. that takes it to about 120 bucks per rim plus shipping.... ok cool not bad still. BUT im hearing naw dont run those buy the plastic inserts (pvc i guess) or dean now has steel inserts now. but from what im seeing people want anywheres from 50-75 bucks each for those.

so whats the right answer.... not just for ME but for everyone else who is jumping on the hummer rim bandwagon. Lets dump some info together and see what we can come up with. i like the idea of guys putting together cheap solutions (hell im one of them) but i keep seeing the time cost and the dollar cost keep rising as i read posts. guys are spending upwards of 200-250 per rim not including the time spent on them. now granted i agree a 200$ diy rim is cheaper then the 250-300$ pick up the phone and order it rim.... but whats your time worth.

so let the flaming begin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSE_at_TLT
I could make rollcages shaped like balloon animals and they sure would be different and eye catching. Want one?

Originally Posted by Dieselmh
Do the world a favor and just kill her. It needs to be done.
Dust Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 38568
Hummer rims sell on the average for $50 each
You can use the mag run flats if you can find them. Most cut the run flat portion down so you don't cut the tire with low air pressure.
You can buy some PVC inserts for between $50-$60 or CJdean has some new metal inserts. new centers vary from $35-$65 each or you can use wheel spacers for about $50 each. Rock rings vary from $40-$60 or rebar rings are cheaper. So you can go cheap and just get the rim and a insert for around $100 per rim. Then add the new centers or spacers and rock rings if you want. or get it all for about $200 per rim. Go out and find an after market double bead lock for less then $200 each. Plus you don't have to wait for months for your new rims.

For myself I using 8-bolt hummer rims with the mag runflats cut down. I just gave my neighbor kid a pattern for my rock rings that he is going to burn out at school in welding class on their cnc plasma cutter. and I'm gonna run spacers. I worked some pretty good deals on mine so I don't have alot invested in them.

Last edited by rocknutyj; 02-13-2006 at 07:42 PM.
rocknutyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2006, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 35307
I picked up a set of 5 brand new 12bolt hummer wheels for $300 (yeah I know, sweet deal, but I'm due one every once in a while).
I've done all the same research as you and it boils down to if your gonna run your rig on the street stay away from the mag runflats, major balance and weight issues, not to mention they look to be a PITA to install, the solid rubber run flat/bead lock requires a serious ratcheting to to get it in the tire so I'm gonna stay away from them also.
I'm left with the USA 6x6 PVC, or the HDPE from Uneaks or StazWorks and they are in the $30-$50 each range plus shipping ($35-$45).
But hey for $115 a wheel I'll have double beadlocks. I also scored a set of 5
37's with only a couple hundred miles on them for $700 so my total wheel and tire investment is gonna be under $1300.
Bullnose Build in Progress
Stretched Bullnose
LCAC_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Union Fab Works

Member # 21939
Send a message via AIM to carwash Send a message via Yahoo to carwash
you can run the mags as is, as long as you run a tall enough tire...or cut them, but, warning, they are magnesium...be really careful...has to be done with special cutting, and underwater, etc...

Buy the PVC runflats and be done with it. Or tel me exaclty what size ring you need and i can probably get them for you in steel fairly cheap if you want.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 12691
Say what you will about the 8-bolt rims, but I've beaten mine and never leaked any air. I have a total of about $680 in my custom recentered, double-beadlocked H1 rims and I think they're great. I'll probably build a set of rockrings for them eventually, but for now they work great.

And $400 for 4 H1 rims is WAY steep. I think I paid $180 for 5 cores...

[url]www.tgtwoffroad.com[/url]
Go_Vols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 22805
I bought my PVC incerts from 66CJDean have yet to mount them though, he is also now starting to sell a bolt together steel incert../forum/axles-tires-wheels/430955-hummer-wheels-new-steel-runflats-other-wheel-parts.html..
Let me tell you my friend if you gonna live this life
It's not good for you to build strife
Robert Neshta Marley ; Cravin choke puppy[/QUOTE][/COLOR][/B]

Last edited by stomper4x4; 02-13-2006 at 09:02 PM.
stomper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 3475
whats the ID of the stock mag runflat?
Old 02-14-2006, 10:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2274
Send a message via AIM to Dust Puppy
i havent really seen too many rims for sale.... if you guys can point me in the right direction for cheap rims im all over it. i didnt realize that 400 was expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSE_at_TLT
I could make rollcages shaped like balloon animals and they sure would be different and eye catching. Want one?

Originally Posted by Dieselmh
Do the world a favor and just kill her. It needs to be done.
Dust Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3511
I paid $400 for my rims with new centers and PVC inserts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=43956

Ebay is your friend, usually plenty of hummer rims for sale.

Search on: humvee wheels plenty of sets of 8 bolt rims for $160

Last edited by oldjeep; 02-14-2006 at 10:27 AM.
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 12691
CJDean, USA6x6 (a checkered past, but I've personally been treated right), Ebay... also check www.cowtownjeeps.com and track down "mitchell" or "gunracer1" - they usually have some for sale for around $50 each (8-bolt cores)

[url]www.tgtwoffroad.com[/url]
Go_Vols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by carwash
you can run the mags as is, as long as you run a tall enough tire...or cut them, but, warning, they are magnesium...be really careful...has to be done with special cutting, and underwater, etc...

Has to be done underwater? Special cutting?

I cut my own magnesium runflats down. I tried a grinder, plasma, band saw, hack saw, and a hammer.

The plasma - yeah, bad idea

Ended up a rough cut with the band saw, then used a hammer and an adjustable wrench to break the ribs off, then a grinder to smooth it out.
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 5982
It's time to debunk the myth regarding cutting the run flats. Yes they have magnesium in the mix, but the run flats are not a pure magnesium as best I can tell. I put some small and large chucks of run flat into a fire and it took a hell of a lot of heat to ignite, and did not burn like pure mag. The mag would not continue to burn without the help of the existing fire.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 10249
I have mine on order from Dan at USA 6x6.
I Ordered last wednesday he said over the phone and through email that every thing was in stock, Friday not shipped yet said their PVC insterts were not cut yet but would send out the rest of the order. Today Tuesday still nothing shipped, waiting on a hummer re-center (only one need for my spare, the PVC was also only for the spare).

I conditionly only place my order if every thing was in stock because I didnt want to get sucked into the daily call (have you shipped it yet...).
I expected to wait reguardless of the vendor I chose this custom stuff is low volume and we are stuck with leadtimes and long shipping waits. Dont get too pissed if your told it will be shipped and you need to wait, that has been typical of cutsom rims since Ive seen these vendors first show up on pirate. Just call them up and remind them nicely. Yea it would be cool if it always worked out fast and perfect but that is not reality.

I payed $250 for 4 8stud hummer rims from a buddie, with mag run flats (ok with 42s). The local surpluss place wants $50 for the rim and $50 for the run flat rubber or mag.

USA6x6, $600 shipped for 4 stamped centers (id never run the flat plate centers) 5 rock rings, 1 additonal hummer rim re-ceneterd, and one PVC for the spare.

$850 for 5 double beadlock rims with rock rings is not bad, requires time cutting and welding, but that adds to the cool factor of custom rims.
Mine will look like the ones at the bottom center:
http://www.usa6x6.com/products_and_s...ingsCustom.jpg

Last edited by ashmanjeepXJ; 02-14-2006 at 12:08 PM.
ashmanjeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjanda
It's time to debunk the myth regarding cutting the run flats. Yes they have magnesium in the mix, but the run flats are not a pure magnesium as best I can tell. I put some small and large chucks of run flat into a fire and it took a hell of a lot of heat to ignite, and did not burn like pure mag. The mag would not continue to burn without the help of the existing fire.
I'd tend to agree... I kept quite a bit of the powder left over from mine, and it took constant flame to keep it going.
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 38568
Quote:
I read all the stuff about the mag burning. But ended up cutting mine with a sawzall. I used a shorter blade on the small webs then used a 8" blade to cut the center. They looked pretty good. I put a lighter on some of the shavings with no luck starting a fire. I was welding near where some mag dust that was left over and it flaired up some. But no fires. I did some reading and found that the rims are not pure mag. If they where then they would burn alot faster.
rocknutyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 17904
Alan,
Got my H1 wheels and runflats for about 200. I'm running the 8 bolt. got new centers for about 150. so for 350 I have basically the same set of wheels you're looking to build. another vote for CJDean.
HalfFastFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15945
I have made pvc inserts but decided to cut the mag flats this time. I used a huge band saw andd then a grinder to deburr the edges. As I was finishing the last run flat it nicked the steel bolt holding the halves together and WOOSH, the air ignited from the dust suspended in it. I had a nomex flight suit on glasses and a hat and gloves. The back of my glove got REAL hot. It was over in less than a second, like a propane burst. I then let a pick of dust up with a torch and watched it burn into some concrete. If you grind it use a fresh grinder disk with no ferric matrial in it and use fan to blow dust off of you. Oh don't nick the bolts.
weedwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 36480
Seeing that you're in De, if your interested I have a set of 8 bolt H1 rims w/ run flats, I want $250 for all 4 (better then $400). I'm actually moving out to Eastern PA this weekend and they are coming with me. If your interested let me know.
jlonergan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 14059
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM
I'd tend to agree... I kept quite a bit of the powder left over from mine, and it took constant flame to keep it going.

I must be the exception. I cut my mags down with a sawzall, and didn't worry about the dust. Was grinding on a piece of steel and looked over to see fire everywhere

Swept all of it up and got rid of it.

Grinding on a piece of steel, and another fire.

Took me ages to clean all that crap up where it would stop flashing up with a little spark. If I cut anymore, I'll do it outside
Old 02-15-2006, 03:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30026
Send a message via AIM to beartj
I paid 225 for 4-8 bolts complete w/ runflats and good tires on them. We bought two sets from this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=46093

Will be cutting some centers out of 3/8" plate and recentering them sometime this week.

I understand and see why a stamped center would be stronger but if knowledgeable ppl are selling them flat and many people have been running them w/ flat centers, I'm assuming it will be fine. Anyone have any links to cited failures or PERSONAL experience w/ this issue?
beartj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:14 PM   #21 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3511
If you do a search, you'll find a couple people who have bent them.
Here's one: /forum/general-4x4-discussion/414995-pressed-hummer-centers.html

But it's not like they're failing left and right. I bought my pressed centered Hummers because of the cost, and I like the looks of them better than the flat plates
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote