Pirate 4x4 banner

X-chassis trail buggy buildup

134K views 180 replies 50 participants last post by  midnight_f150 
#1 · (Edited)
Now that I have finally started working on my buggy I figure it is time start my buildup thread.

My plans for this buggy are to build a very capable rock crawler while maintaining enough comfort and storage space for 3-4 days on the trail (rubicon, dusy ect.) There will some sacrifices in the name of reliability such as no hydro assist, just dual cases, no case gears, no stupid big tires. basicly I don't want to spend all day fixing it on the trail. When it is done I will try to street register it in California which should be an adventure.

Origionaly I was going to build my own chassis because I couldn't find one that would suit my need for decent storage, but after meeting Mike at TDS a couple of years ago I realized that the X-chassis from Hendrix had the space I needed and the basic design that I like. It would also save me a ton of time and give me a straight frame to work from as I don't have a chassis table and my garage floor isn't exacty flat

For drivetrain I have a toy 22re,5spd and marlin duals,

Axles are Toy front with 30spl longs, HP third and an ARB
Toy IFS rear with chromo axles, a spool and discs
5.29 gears

I am still deciding on the exact suspension design but it will be 3 or 4 link, possibly with a panhard in front because I will be running a steering box. shocks are Sway-Away, 2"x14" in front and 2.5"x18" in the rear

tires will be 37" or 39" IROKS (probably 37's) on champion beadlocks

In keeping with the comfort theme it will have PRP seats, a heater, and a rocking stereo with XM. I will also be able to completely enclose the cab for snow/rain/mud wheeling.

Now, on with the buildup. I am starting it a little different than most, I know where I want my engine, winch, steering box and radiator to be so I am starting there. After that I will do the interior. Then I will move on to the suspension.

Last but not least, this is my first buggy build so if you guys have any sugestions feel free to speak up. I have a pretty good idea of how I want this to come together but I also want to avoid learning things the hard way if possible.

See less See more
#4 ·
here is a pic of the motor going in, the first version of the front bumper, and the bumper with the fairlead frenched in

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
here are a few of the motor mounts coming together. I used the factory motor brackets and made the rest

Attachments

#6 ·
here are a couple of the winch/steering box mounts. I still have to finish welding it and boxing in the ends of the steering box mount so hold you flames. I will get some pics with the winch and steering box in place this weekend

Attachments

#7 ·
mobil1syn said:
sounds good, how do you plan on registering it?
from what I have read and the people I have talked to at DMV and CHP I should be able to do a special construction reg on it. I guess we will see. of course I will need all of the required lights, windshield/wipers, and some sort of removable fenders

#8 · (Edited)
Childsplay said:
should be an interesting build to follow, cant wait to see how you build it to handle well on the street as well as be legal
I doesn't need to handle well, I just needs to get me back to the tow rig on point to point trails like rubicon and dusy. It will probably handle like shit on the street.

#11 ·
Butler said:
With no frame you are going to have a hard time registering it for the street but I still wish you luck. Several Hendrix vehicles have been partly built in Simi. Would be nice to see another.
That's the whole point of a special construction registration, it's for when you start with nothing, you cannot start with an existing vehicle that has a registration. I dont see any problem doing it, there are limited numbers of them issued each year, that will be the hardest part.

#12 · (Edited)
Interesting theories on what makes a rig reliable.

If comfort is such a big deal to you I'd really consider adding hydro-assist.

I also think you're gonna be surprised at how fast you run out of room for all the extras. When I need storage for multiple days on the trail I'll be fabbibng a removable roof rack.

#13 ·
Mustard Dog said:
Interesting theories on what makes a rig reliable.

If comfort is such a big deal to you I'd really consider adding hydro-assist.

I also think you're gonna be surprised at how fast you run out of room for all the extras. When I need storage for multiple days on the trail I'll be fabbibng a removable roof rack.
By reliable I mean less likely to tear it,s self apart. though I may change my mind on the hydro assist and t-case gears after driving it.

mine will be set up a little different than yours, My gas tank will be where your rear seat is so I will have the area where your propane tanks are for storage, plus I will build a rack over the tank and the rear storage. I can see where you would run out of room quick with the rear seat and propane tanks

#14 ·
GOAT1 said:
That's the whole point of a special construction registration, it's for when you start with nothing, you cannot start with an existing vehicle that has a registration. I dont see any problem doing it, there are limited numbers of them issued each year, that will be the hardest part.
Acctualy there is no limit on special construction reg, just on smog exempt special construction and that is 500 per year. Naturaly I will try for one of those but I can make it smog legal if I have too.

#15 ·
Butler said:
With no frame you are going to have a hard time registering it for the street but I still wish you luck. Several Hendrix vehicles have been partly built in Simi. Would be nice to see another.
By "partly built in Simi" do you mean worked on a Cragrat's house or are there some that live here that I dont know about? If so could I would like to see them for ideas.

#16 · (Edited)
this may be a newb question but it is my thread so here it goes. How the fawk do I get the pics to show without you guys having to click on every single one?????

I didn't get too much else done this weeklend but here are a couple more pics of the winch/steering box mounts

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
Don't you hate it when you get a free bling aluminum radator but it is a little too big.

Edit: Ok, WTF, how come this pic opens automaticly???must be file size or number of pics, witch is it??

Attachments

#20 ·
am4x4 said:
Don't you hate it when you get a free bling aluminum radator but it is a little too big.

Edit: Ok, WTF, how come this pic opens automaticly???must be file size or number of pics, witch is it??
If you only attach one pic per post it will show up, if you do more than one it shows up with the little attachment buttons but you can right click the pic and get the properties from it and stick it in the URL tags like was posted above this.

Looks good so far. Ive been waiting on parts for the 4 seater chassis Im building for a customer but I will be starting work on it again this week.

#22 ·
silvrzuki77 said:
hopefully it will work half as good as my samurai u helped build!!!!!hahaha
welcome to the darkside

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.