Pirate 4x4 banner

oil pan fabrication?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  300sniper 
#1 ·
i am thinking about fabricating an oil pan for my toyota out of aluminum. the fabrication part looks simple enough being that the flange is all flat. what i am wondering is about the windage tray. if i build one with a greater capacity than stock should i just duplicate the oem windage tray or is there some better tech on the matter? is there any good books or other imfo on this topic that any one could recommend?

thanks.

#2 ·
you could make your new flange also be a crank scraper and also add some trap doors to keep the oil in the bottom of the pan and away from the crank when you are climbing/decending.

Look in Jegs or Summit racing and you will see some of the windage trays they sell. most are just louvered or angled screen to keep well..the windage :laughing: of the crank from the oil in the sump. Just angle the louvers so it "scrapes" the oil from the crank.

Mind you If you are bored you can always thread your oil pickup for AN line and run a new pickup in a diffrent point of the pan too :D just remember a screen

#4 ·
I made an aluminum oil pan for a 3.4L engine once. It was a super easy project. The only time consuming part was plotting the holes so we could have the rails cut out of billet aluminum. Crank scraper/windage tray and baffling he pickup would all be worth your time.

#5 ·
You should take a steel pan and add a box to it. The trap doors work EXCELLENT for offroad as well as a swinging pickup. We do quite a bit of oil pan work here so if you need more tips or come to a dead end let me know.

#6 ·
MC said:
You should take a steel pan and add a box to it. The trap doors work EXCELLENT for offroad as well as a swinging pickup. We do quite a bit of oil pan work here so if you need more tips or come to a dead end let me know.
do you have any more imfo or pictures of the trap door that works so EXCELLENT?:D

#8 · (Edited)
300sniper said:
do you have any more imfo or pictures of the trap door that works so EXCELLENT?:D

http://www.autocomponenti.com/performance_parts/trap_door_oil_pan.htm

get some piano hinge and go to it :flipoff2: The doors need to swing TO the oil pick-up. :p you know so when you are going down hill all the oil stays in the back of the pan.
Or if you "kick-out" the pan and install either a remote or swining oil pickup you want the oil to be "trapped" at the pickup

#10 ·
doing a bit more planning on this. would 6061 t6 be a good material? also for the flange i am wondering if 5/16" would be thick enough or should i go to 3/8"? i am thinking about using 3/16" for the rest of the pan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.