Pirate 4x4 banner

Off road course building ideas

12K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Boons 
#1 ·
My brother works at a premier training facility that teaches tactics to both military and civilian agencies. Usually they teach breaching, shooting, dynamic entry, explosives, etc. They have added a 2.1 mile driving track, and a skid pad. This place is amazing, no expense spared.

To the problem at hand, they have gotten skidders, dozers, misc. other stupid size equipment to build an offroad track for teaching offroad driving and recovery techniques. They want me to help design some of the obstacles. Have about 40 acres to work on, and whatever materials I want. Looking for some input on obstacles that would teach basic and advanced offroad driving to people using quad cab hilux trucks and military hummers.
Doesn't need rocks per se, just good all around obstacles for general off roading. Discuss:D

#2 ·
if they plan on teaching it, dont they have some sort of lesson plan layed out for it? you kinda need teachers and a plan of what to teach people before you build a course for them. you dont have to build random course, and then they just hand over the keys to the students, do they?

find out what aspects of offroad driving they want to cover, then recreate conditions to follow what they are going to teach people.

#4 ·
how about off camber climbs, ruts that make the truck high-centered if you take the wrong line, mud pits of different sizes and consistancies, high speed turns, all i can think of now:cool2: good luck desinging

#5 ·
budget76 said:
how about off camber climbs, ruts that make the truck high-centered if you take the wrong line, mud pits of different sizes and consistancies, high speed turns, all i can think of now:cool2: good luck desinging

Thanks. Trying to tech general driving on all sorts of terrain. Ideas ranging from ditch crawling to frame twister type obstacles. HIgh berms for breakover angles, sand berms, etc. Just trying to see if anyone could add some specific obstacles that could help. Curriculum hasn't been written to my knowledge, just trying to get a good basis and then go from there.

#7 ·
Basically Figure out the MILSPECS (Military Specifications) that a hummer is built with and make a course based on them... i.e. if they say it can climb a 3 foot ledge then make a 3 foot ledge , 4 foot fording depth then make a 4 foot deep water hole.... etc.... and lay them out in a course configuration...

my .02
-j-rOd

#9 ·
jhama78 said:
Basically Figure out the MILSPECS (Military Specifications) that a hummer is built with and make a course based on them... i.e. if they say it can climb a 3 foot ledge then make a 3 foot ledge , 4 foot fording depth then make a 4 foot deep water hole.... etc.... and lay them out in a course configuration...

my .02
-j-rOd

The head instructor just got back from the am general test track with some good ideas. Looking for pics of obstacles set up at places like camp jeep and jeep jamboree. Just trying to mix it up a little:D

#10 · (Edited)
I love the bridges made out of 4 logs, paired for left wheels and right wheels, with a gap in the middle.

Definatly asscents and decents, ditches, steps, some barrels for turning through....

Oh, and what 4x4 course could be complete without a See-Saw? Try getting a truck up one of those and getting it to balance perfectly :)

#12 ·
skullver said:
don't forget the sand and IEDs as they will likely be seeing lots of that if the current events play out any worse.

Plenty of sand going to be utilized. They just bought an area close to the course just to import the sand. I believe its 100 acres of it:p

Got a basic layout setup. Gonna use abunch of am general's ideas, and some stuff like logs aranged in a stair step pattern to teach climbing angles and breakover, see saw is going in, big ditch narrow and wide to for climbs, log bridge over it. Frame twister to teach recovery and technique. Can't get to extreme just want to throw as muany challenges as possible so they can be confident and know the vehicles capabilities.

#14 ·
OMG! I have a family farm 82 square acres. I've already did the first part of design and layout. Starts with a vision. need to be there to create the vision. Then you get a map of the place. Then grab a pencil and start getting your bearings with regard to placement and distance. What kind of vehicle will be used? How sharp can it turn? Just some questions... In the end, I penciled on the map the layout using markers for turns. Then I went out on foot and dug holes for the markers (2x4s ten feet long), Lastly, the best part was going out in my truck and driving the course. Oh yeh, it was a originally a big giant flood plain along a river with railroad tracks going through the middle. Lots of fun! I could text or email you the map! Just let me know. Good luck!
Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.