Pirate 4x4 banner

Tmax which wiring

9K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  bikerbob 
#1 · (Edited)
Ground wire goes direct to the bottom of the motor.
Positive goes to the solenoid pack.

3 wires leave the solenoid pack to the top of the motor.

only 2 solenoids in the pack.

I am not clear on what is going on. Hand held controller has 3 wires, one +12 going in, and depending on which way you push the button, it puts the +12 on one of the other 2 wires.

One wire goes to solenoid A, the other goes to solenoid B. I am not sure why there are three wires that can carry +12 to the winch....

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/sum-930020.pdf

there is a set of instructions with a diagram. the red wire provides the current carrying to activate the motor. The other 2 wires go to some type of incuductor, but from the diagram, I cant see what is hapening, or how it would change direction.

#4 ·
i think the winch works, havent tried. I opened up the solenoid box, and checked out the diagram.

I am not a power guy, so I am just unsure of how it works. The diagram does not make much sense. In order for the winch to change direction, either the current needs to change direction or the magnetic field needs to change direction. Since the ground is attached directly to the motor and is not switched by the solenoids, I assume the current is not changing direction, which means the magnetic field needs to be fliped. On a permanent magnet motor, I dont think that can be done, on a series wound motor, I am not sure... Trying to just figure it out.

I am assuming the other 2 wires comeing out of the solenoid are somehow changing the magnetic field arround.

#6 ·
right, that is what I got.

But what I am trying to say is this. The motor needs +12 and ground to spin clockwise. if you flip them, it will sping the other way.

The Tmax winch has the ground fixed on the motor, and ground does not go through the solenoid at all. So the +12 and ground cant be reversed. So I am not sure how the winch direction gets reversed.

#7 ·
ok your brown is your constant hot 12v which gives the remote power.
yellow is your IN and blue is your OUT. the spec sheet was easy to read.:flipoff2:

#9 ·
focker! :) I the remote is not the problem. I am trying actually understand the inside of the motor. There are 3 power wires leaving the solenoid pack. if it was as simple as one is in, the other is out, then there would only be 2 wires. I think what is happenin is the the one wire is the power to the motor, the other 2 are for creating the magnetic fields since it is a series wound motor, not a permenant magnet motor. So I am guessing that if you hook a few multimeters up you will see when no solenoids are active, none of the 3 wires out of the solenoid pack will be hot, and if you activate one of the solenoids, 2 of the wires will go hot, and if you activate the other solenoids, 2 of the wires will go hot with one of them being the same as one from the previous way.

So the one that goes hot no mater what is the actual power to the motor, and the other 2 are what determines

the ground thats on the motor is connected to the solenoids. solenoid A is the yellow and solenoid B is the blue. when you hit the switch on the remote it in turns sends power to the left or right side of the motor. which will go forward or reverse.
here is the easy way. if you press up it will send power to the left side of the motor and it will go forward. if you press down it will send power the right side which will make the motor go in reverse.

#8 · (Edited)
the ground thats on the motor is connected to the solenoids. solenoid A is the yellow and solenoid B is the blue. when you hit the switch on the remote it in turns sends power to the left or right side of the motor. which will go forward or reverse.
here is the easy way. if you press up it will send power to the left side of the motor and it will go forward. if you press down it will send power the right side which will make the motor go in reverse.

#11 ·
Bumping an old thread.
I just picked up a used T-max 9000lb winch. I think the solenoid is bad. It will power out but not in. Checking with my volt meter it looks like the solenoid is not working in the IN direction.
Can I just swap the IN and OUT wires on the winch so i can have power IN and then just free spool to get wire out? I am going to buy a new solenoid pack when I get he cash.

#12 ·
Well i said screw it and tried it. Switching the wires from the solenoid to IN and OUT worked. I now have power IN and not OUT now. I hope it lasts long enough so i can get a new solenoid on order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.