Pirate 4x4 banner

Saginaw Oring fittings for power steering box

9K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Wheel28 
#1 ·
I need a very tight 90 degree fitting for the power steering box, as I have a large radiator. Any ideas?

#2 ·
I lowered my body mounts on the frame and removed the poly mounts themselves to hard mount my tub to the frame. This dropped my radiator to be just about on my box... I ended up using PSC's conversion fitting to -6AN (also available at JEG's and SUMMIT but with their handling charges PSC came out cheaper and they support our sport). I then used PSC's 90* -6AN line fittings and heated and bent them accordingly to clear. I think it sticks up about 1/2" to 3/4" above my box now? Plus this allowed my to build all my own hoses and run them EXACTLY where they needed to be.

#3 ·
Pics?

What did you do for connections on the pump side of things?

#4 ·
I can try to get some pics after my lab tomorrow and post them up. I am also running -6AN fittings from PSC on a PSC pump and a PSC reservoir. PSC has fittings for just about any pump/box to convert to their "build-a-hose" stuff. They knew exactly what I needed, gave and a decent price and it sure beat dicking around trying to make something work.

I'll try to get some pics for ya.

#5 ·
I have a PSC resevoir, trying to figure out how to hook it to the sagnaw pump I have...

#6 · (Edited)
I tried that and destroyed two saginaw ham-cans. After that I just called up PSC and ordered their sealed can with the -10 AN return like I should have in the first place. It's not on the website but if you call them they will sell it to you over the phone, I think it was about $35.

Earl's, Russel or Aeroquip have the o-ring to -6 AN fittings for both the pump and box which will allow you to make your own hoses. I believe PSC sells the Aeroquip fittings.

#8 ·
I had hoped to find an o-ring 90 elbow... it's got to be pretty tight fitting to the box.

#9 ·
Sot of a hi jack but maybe a solution for alot of us...

Anyone know of a fitting/adapter that converts saginaw o-ring fittings to standard NPT?

I want to be able to run commonly available standard hydraulic hoses because they are cheap, easy to find, and I like the idea of using the same type of hose for both my hydro assist and poswer steering.

#10 ·
Look on any of the links above!

#12 ·
Thanks. I needed to call Tom regardless.

I also got the right reservoir to replace my "ham can".

#15 ·
Would still be helpful.

#18 ·
Here are some pics, the grill sits on the frame, as does the floor of the tub. I had to clearance some of the grill and do some radiator fanagling and now it leaks...:banghead:

Hard to see but that fitting is bent quite a bit to clear, but my radiator is farther back than yours and not as big. My red Jeep does have a full size GM radiator in it though with the CJ grill skinned (had a SBC/TH350/doubler and had to have everything as far forward as possible). That radiator sat directly on the frame rails and cleared but that was a stock GM line bent to fit...

Idea of how low the Jeep is (2" lowered Dmax) and grill on frame:

Another of grill on frame:

Blindy taken pic from underneath of the fitting and box and some of the stock 4.0L radiator...:

Looking at it more I think a stock line lightly bent down the pass side of the box could provide more clearance, hard to say. How much room do you have and is the radiator night over it or in front of it???

#19 ·
If you think a stock line bent over the side of the box will work. You should look at lines out of a early 90's astro van. I put a 4.3 out of an astro van in a jeep same real tight clearance and they fit no prob. the van lines come up the side and loop into the box.

Wheel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.