140 amp alt. wiring - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 20630
140 amp alt. wiring

Ive read till Im blue in the face and I think I am more confused now. Putting 140 amp alt on 99 5.7 vortec. 3 wires that come off plug (larger red one, black and brown) also there is a terminal post on back of alt. WHAT GOES TO WHAT? For everything to be on the up and up. thanks

74' Stretched(107") 60/14 - 42" Pit Bull Rockers - Coils - 5.7 Vortec - 700R - Atlas 4.3

06 Laramie 3500 MegaCab Dually 4x4, 48RE, Edge Juice w/Attitude, AFE Cold Air Intake, Full Flow Exhaust
SCOUT1ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 52
Isnt the large red one the field wire, the black one is groung, the brown is computer/guage and the post on the back the charge wire to the batt?
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2007, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 16589
hope this helps, make sure you run at least a 6 gauge wire from your battery to the Alt or you'll melt the wire

Yahoo search: CS series alternator wiring
Attached Images

Last edited by Towner; 09-28-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Towner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 20630
again thanks.

74' Stretched(107") 60/14 - 42" Pit Bull Rockers - Coils - 5.7 Vortec - 700R - Atlas 4.3

06 Laramie 3500 MegaCab Dually 4x4, 48RE, Edge Juice w/Attitude, AFE Cold Air Intake, Full Flow Exhaust
Old 09-28-2007, 04:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 16561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towner View Post
hope this helps, make sure you run at least a 6 gauge wire from your battery to the Alt or you'll melt the wire

Yahoo search: CS series alternator wiring

So, do you connect either / or on the ignition fused, and ignition fused with light, or both?

Gone but not forgotten: 81 toyota truggy - LT1 - Th400+203+atlas3.0 - 60 / 14 - 42s. [url]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520948[/url].
dobsogj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 13342
Search on "10si" and you'll find this, for one:

http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/10si.htm

Although you didn't say what kind of alternator, the 10si is one of the most available alternators out there.

As for the proper wire for the main battery connection:

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/charge_wires.html

Hope this helps.

Al

Last edited by Albin; 09-28-2007 at 05:42 PM.
Albin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 67828
Send a message via AIM to Nskeeter99
hook up the l wire to your idit light wire and the power wire to the stud on the back and that should do it. just make sure you have a good light bulb, if it goes does the alt.
Nskeeter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 72744
Careful not to make this confusing. Different alternators have different regulators in them. With some of them the "L" circuit needs an LED light, not a strong light circuit as found on most older vehicles.

So you are better off to only hook up to the "I" terminal, with straight ignition power. Meaning 12volts when the key is turned into the run position, and nothing when the key is in the off position. The "I" terminal is labelled as "F" in the above diagram, and on the regulator itself as an I above the F. There are regulators with this case that have functioning F terminals, but they are mostly in cars.

No not hook up the S terminal. If you dont use it the regulator will default to sensing internally which is more accurate. The "S" ciruitry inside the regulator, or the wire leading to it and screw up the voltage and cause the alternator to over charge. So dont use it as it is just an added place for a problem.

Hope that all makes sense. There are dozens of different theories on this, but keyed on/off 12volt power to the "I/F" terminal is what the guy who designed the regulator thinks is the best way to do it. (I made a phone call before responding, LOL)
RRRAAAYYY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 20630
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRAAAYYY2 View Post
Careful not to make this confusing. Different alternators have different regulators in them. With some of them the "L" circuit needs an LED light, not a strong light circuit as found on most older vehicles.

So you are better off to only hook up to the "I" terminal, with straight ignition power. Meaning 12volts when the key is turned into the run position, and nothing when the key is in the off position. The "I" terminal is labelled as "F" in the above diagram, and on the regulator itself as an I above the F. There are regulators with this case that have functioning F terminals, but they are mostly in cars.

No not hook up the S terminal. If you dont use it the regulator will default to sensing internally which is more accurate. The "S" ciruitry inside the regulator, or the wire leading to it and screw up the voltage and cause the alternator to over charge. So dont use it as it is just an added place for a problem.

Hope that all makes sense. There are dozens of different theories on this, but keyed on/off 12volt power to the "I/F" terminal is what the guy who designed the regulator thinks is the best way to do it. (I made a phone call before responding, LOL)
Got it all hooked up before your post and is charging 14.5 or so depending on what all fans are on. Right now I have the F going through small light. (It isn't on ever) S is running over to the post on back of alternator with a 4ga. wire then running to battery. L terminal on plug is unused at this time. Have driven prolly total of one hour. Ok to run like this or should I change it? Brand of Alternator is Ultima from Oreillys.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 72744
Well if it is working you should be ok if using the small light. Though this makes no sense as the I/F terminal should leave it on all the time, but might not. I will have to check it sometime. The main reason for using the I instead of the L is most lights (pre '86) have too much current going through them, and it is hard on some OE and aftermarket regulators. Not all, just some. So if you have the LED light instead of the heavier bulb, all should be fine. No matter which way you hooked it up.
RRRAAAYYY2 is offline   Reply With Quote