1/2-ton Dually Conversion - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 78697
1/2-ton Dually Conversion

I hope that this is posted in the proper forum, but I would like as much input as possible. I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 that I would like to do an 8-lug dual rear wheel conversion on. I have found fenders, rims, and I already have an extra pair of tires. I am not looking to increase my payload, just aesthetically modify my truck. It is my daily driver of 120 miles per day, and has just about 300k on the clock. I am just looking to change it up a little. I know there are tons of 4-5 lug, 5-6 lug and 8-10 lug adapters, as well as many different dual wheel spacers. I have contacted a few vendors, but no one can help me. I am assuming the general consensus is going to be, "You're crazy!" I just think it would be something cool and different. I mean, they make dually conversions for Toyotas, why can't I have one! Can anyone point me in the right direction, or does anyone know someone who would be willing to machine a set for me. I am willing to pay! I have already purchased my rims and fenders. These are the last components. I don't want to do axle or hub swaps, I just want a good quality steel adapter. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. THANKS!
DRACINTHEBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 80052
Send a message via MSN to the_experience3006 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience3006
Have you tried Arrowcraft? They kind of specialize in that conversion. Truth be told, it will probably just be easier to swap axles.

By the way...those Toyotas you see aren't likely conversions, but the factory dual rear wheel 1-ton chassis.

[QUOTE=TexasBlake;10305687]She's not that hot. I was just looking for a quick lay and she all wanted to like go on dates and shit.
[/QUOTE]
the_experience3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2008, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 24876
stupid. Your going to add 2 more tires to wear out and also add rolling and wind resitance.. Have you seen the price of gas lately?

If you HAVE to do this why not swap a rear end??

This post is extremely gay and the PBB thanks you for only having posted 5 times in the past year and a half

On a serious note, WHY?
Old 03-22-2008, 04:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 104309
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullsizeYota View Post
stupid. Your going to add 2 more tires to wear out and also add rolling and wind resitance.. Have you seen the price of gas lately?

If you HAVE to do this why not swap a rear end??

This post is extremely gay and the PBB thanks you for only having posted 5 times in the past year and a half

On a serious note, WHY?
OPINIONS ARE LIKE ASSHOLES, EVERY ONE HAS ONE AND SOME STINK WORSE THEN OTHERS.

WHO ARE YOU TO SAY HE'S STUPID FOR WANTING TO DO SOMETHING TO HIS RIDE?? HE ASKED A QUESTION ABOUT WHERE TO GET A SPECIFIC KIND OF PART, AND STATED THAT HE DOESN'T WANT TO DO A HUB/AXLE SWAP, HOW HAVE YOU HELPED HIM BY CALLING HIM STUPID????

WHAT DOES IT MATTER HOW MANY TIMES HES POSTED IN HOWEVER LONG??? DOES IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE??? DOES IT CHANGE THE FACT THAT HE IS ASKING A QUESTION, AND CAME HERE IN HOPES OF HAVING THAT QUESTION ANSWERED?? SO MAYBE HE HAS A LIFE AND DOESN'T SPEND ALL HIS TIME ON THIS BOARD "POSTING" TO RAISE HIS POST COUNT.

I THINK IT'LL BE COOL, 1/2 TON DUALLY, which style of flares did you get?? the full fender flare, or the low profile flare??
phillsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 80052
Send a message via MSN to the_experience3006 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience3006
I think you just blacklisted yourself.

[QUOTE=TexasBlake;10305687]She's not that hot. I was just looking for a quick lay and she all wanted to like go on dates and shit.
[/QUOTE]
the_experience3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Damn you chuckie...

Member # 85316
Send a message via AIM to svt150j49
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillsl View Post
OPINIONS ARE... bla bla bla i love cock...??
wow thats a lot of info that no one wanted to know. now get the fawk outa here.

Build thread:
Here

The un-named buggy - 2.3L, lotsa tube, and FJ80s.
svt150j49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 104309
black listed??? why, cause i have an opinion too??? there was no need to call this guy stupid, i find that ignorant, why not just offer up advice, or state your opinion, there is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED to call someone that you don't know, and probably never will meet stupid. THAT IS MY OPINION, AND YALL CAN TAKE IT HOW YOU LIKE IT, W/ OR W/ OUT LUBE.
phillsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACINTHEBOX View Post
I hope that this is posted in the proper forum, but I would like as much input as possible. I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 that I would like to do an 8-lug dual rear wheel conversion on. I have found fenders, rims, and I already have an extra pair of tires. I am not looking to increase my payload, just aesthetically modify my truck. It is my daily driver of 120 miles per day, and has just about 300k on the clock. I am just looking to change it up a little. I know there are tons of 4-5 lug, 5-6 lug and 8-10 lug adapters, as well as many different dual wheel spacers. I have contacted a few vendors, but no one can help me. I am assuming the general consensus is going to be, "You're crazy!" I just think it would be something cool and different. I mean, they make dually conversions for Toyotas, why can't I have one! Can anyone point me in the right direction, or does anyone know someone who would be willing to machine a set for me. I am willing to pay! I have already purchased my rims and fenders. These are the last components. I don't want to do axle or hub swaps, I just want a good quality steel adapter. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. THANKS!
In the March 99 issue of Truckin' magazine, there is an article about putting nitrous on a Dodge Ram. If you look closely at the picture, you'll notice that the front dually rims are held on with 5 of the 10 lugs. I had adapters made that bolted up to the stock 5 lug pattern to run dually wheels from the rear on the front just like a real dually.

The rear was a Ford F-450 10 lug out of a test mule that I picked up from a local SoCal salvage yard.

I opted to buy a dually bed from a utility bed manufacturer that had a lot of take-offs in their yard from installing their products. It was easier to me than hacking up the OEM bedside and installing the dually fenders. It's as simple as removing one bed and installing the other, or an afternoon's work.

Fair warning- The reason I went with the real dually axle is because I originally had dually adapters on the rear stock axle. A car crowded into my lane on a surface street overpass which forced me to either get hit or move over to the shoulder. Instinctive driving moved me over and my outside rear tire hit an aired up spare tire and rim from someone's trailer laying on the shoulder.

That snapped the rear axle off just inboard of the housing end. My pretty Alcoa Dually rim, the steel match to it, a pair of near new Michelin tires, brake drum, and a custom dually adapter bounced up into the air as a unit being held together with the adapter and chunk of axle.

I saw it bounce over the truck, come down into traffic, and then bounce up over the overpass fence we were on and it disappeared after that never to be found after many hours of searching.

My advice, go buy a real dually rear axle. The 1/2 ton stuff won't take any abuse at all and you won't enjoy it when it fails. I sure didn't.

The only saving grace in that whole fiasco is the duals didn't hit anything but pavement on the first bounce and disappeared after that.

Lest I forget- when you break an axle and the brake drum leaves, it doesn't matter how many times you push on the brake pedal, they just don't work.
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience3006 View Post
Have you tried Arrowcraft? They kind of specialize in that conversion. Truth be told, it will probably just be easier to swap axles.

By the way...those Toyotas you see aren't likely conversions, but the factory dual rear wheel 1-ton chassis.
There's a lot of landscaper (read lawn mower crews) flat bed Toyotas out here that have some kind of bizarre inner stock rim with an adapter welded to it that lets them bolt up another stock rim and tire.

It's two tires and rims side by side, but I wouldn't exactly refer to it as a dually.

The fronts are just the stock Toyota rims of the non deep dished dually variety.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 41250
The toyota's are a Big Six pattern(6on6.5") if you look close. they're also full floaters.

Toyota motorhomes are the same. the only ones that are different are the aftermarket conversions from the 70's, some (like my Datsun), had a 12" single rear wheel with Two sets of Beads on it.

for the OP, Duals will kill your MPG, but if you want to do it, you can swap out the axle for about the price of the adapters. I found one company last year that made a 5 or 6 lug to 8 lug adapter and it was ~$140 each. for $280 I can buy a FF rear and adapt a driveline.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 9483
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
There's a lot of landscaper (read lawn mower crews) flat bed Toyotas out here that have some kind of bizarre inner stock rim with an adapter welded to it that lets them bolt up another stock rim and tire.

It's two tires and rims side by side, but I wouldn't exactly refer to it as a dually.

The fronts are just the stock Toyota rims of the non deep dished dually variety.

This looks like a dually to me...

[B][I]"Wheel hard" G.D.I [/I][/B] Buggy -35 spl hp60, drv flgs, bear knuckles, spooled 4.88, .030-327, sm465 wms 203(3:1)/205 NWF triple stick, high angle drvshft's, 35spl 60 rear spool, PSC full hydro, 42"iroks, recentered h1 dbl's. 99 4x4 24v dodge for towing. [URL="http://www.gdi4x4.com/"]GDI4x4[/URL] [URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626027"][COLOR="Orange"]my buggy redo[/COLOR][/URL]
riksnacjnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 24876
Quote:
Originally Posted by riksnacjnow View Post
This looks like a dually to me...

Are you sure thats out of a toy?? i'm by no means a toyota dually expert but i'd swear that few that i have seen had a 3rd member just like the 8" diff. Maybe the pics you posted were of an older or newer one or maybe the few that i have seen have been adapted
Old 03-22-2008, 08:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 33365
Send a message via MSN to the glassman
150.00 dollar rear axle swap and be done with it it wont be any cooler with some stupid high dollar adaptor. quit trying to make everything harder than it has to be
Old 03-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 9483
Quote:
Are you sure thats out of a toy?? i'm by no means a toyota dually expert but i'd swear that few that i have seen had a 3rd member just like the 8" diff. Maybe the pics you posted were of an older or newer one or maybe the few that i have seen have been adapted
dunno, Googled it and got this... linky
[B][I]"Wheel hard" G.D.I [/I][/B] Buggy -35 spl hp60, drv flgs, bear knuckles, spooled 4.88, .030-327, sm465 wms 203(3:1)/205 NWF triple stick, high angle drvshft's, 35spl 60 rear spool, PSC full hydro, 42"iroks, recentered h1 dbl's. 99 4x4 24v dodge for towing. [URL="http://www.gdi4x4.com/"]GDI4x4[/URL] [URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626027"][COLOR="Orange"]my buggy redo[/COLOR][/URL]
riksnacjnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4375
Quote:
I used to have a stake bed 1 ton Toyota that had what looks to be the same rear axle. Not sure, but the rims and big 6 lug bolt pattern look familiar. Not sure if it had a drop-out or not. It was full float though.

Being that I drove one, I also noticed the other ones on the road and that's how I noticed that the converted versions had stock regular pick-up rims on the front and that funky dual rims bolted to each other on the back.

The conversions were done by several SoCal Stake Bed body builders for dealerships.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 24876
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I used to have a stake bed 1 ton Toyota that had what looks to be the same rear axle. Not sure, but the rims and big 6 lug bolt pattern look familiar. Not sure if it had a drop-out or not. It was full float though.

Being that I drove one, I also noticed the other ones on the road and that's how I noticed that the converted versions had stock regular pick-up rims on the front and that funky dual rims bolted to each other on the back.
I have noticed them being full float but i thought for sure they had a 3rd.. anyway...

How did it do as far as the truck was concerned? was it a true 1 ton?? do they have a 22re? I have seen a few and almost laughed myself silly thinking how gutless my truck was on 31's and 4.10's just driving up hills, i can't imagine trying to tow something or have an actual payload on the truck..
Old 03-23-2008, 12:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4375
Quote:
I have noticed them being full float but i thought for sure they had a 3rd.. anyway...

How did it do as far as the truck was concerned? was it a true 1 ton?? do they have a 22re? I have seen a few and almost laughed myself silly thinking how gutless my truck was on 31's and 4.10's just driving up hills, i can't imagine trying to tow something or have an actual payload on the truck..
The truck was pretty good for construction. It was the 22re with a 4 speed manual. The next year they came out with the V-6, so that made it what, an 85-6 or so? I bought it new off the lot with the flat bed, and it's been awhile.

I have no idea how they rated it, but they did call it a 1 ton. It carried the weight, just had no power pulling it. I could carry a pallet of tile, but it didn't like hills. Decent trouble free vehicle though.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 87150
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience3006 View Post
That's fawking awsome!

The main rule of modifying any car, truck, van, bus, tractor ect, if it doesn't make it go fast, or stop fast, it's

The main unofficial rule of General 4x4 on PBB is if the mod neither makes it go fast, or stop fast it's , and if it actually hurts performance in every measurable way than you're probably
Old 03-23-2008, 06:31 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 78697
Thanks for all of the responses, I know there was some useful information in there. I agree that there are pro's and con's to this idea, and my preferred method of completing it. I build traditional hot rods and choppers for a living, and spend most of my time on those forums. I also built up a few Jeeps, which is how I found this site. I lurk every once in a while, and have found your technical advice second to none. This is what really peaked my interest. When this project came to my mind, this was this first place I thought of to get the information I needed. I have had heavy-duty duallys before including a 2500 Suburban dually, a Ford F800 crew-cab dually conversion, and a 1953 Chevy panel truck that I built on an '88 Chevy 1-ton frame with a 455 Olds/ Turbo 400. Now to clarify further, I neither need or want to swap axles. I feel, for how I plan on using the truck, it is just added labor. Sure, the axles may be a couple hundred bucks in a junkyard, but you have no idea what you're getting. If I end up putting new brake lines, shoes, wheel cylinders, turning the drums, axle seals, maybe new gears and bearings, I will have a ton of money invested. I bought my truck for $1500 and have put a ton of miles on it with minimal investment. I know I can complete this conversion for less than $1500. The fenders are from DuallyFendersUSA.com, as they are the only company to make fenders for a short box. I already have a call into Arrowcraft to see if they can help. I am going to be running 16x6" Alcoas with 255/85R16 Interco TrXus. My truck has a 3" suspension lift. I would appreciate it if anyone could point me in the direction of a machinist who may be willing to tackle this project. I am willing to spend around $150-200 per wheel for the spacers/adapters. I am going to make some calls to local machine shops this week to get this project completed. I will post some pics when it is completed. Thanks again for the comments, and I will try and do my part by becoming a more active member of this forum.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:39 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 4758
Don't know if they would have exactly what you want, but these guys make all kinds of custom spacers/adaptors: http://www.performancewheel.com/
Zane Znamenacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:04 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 29210
Send a message via AIM to Davethorik
I personally would swap rearends, even though you don't want to. I have no scientific evidence to back this up, just common sense, but I wouldn't run duals on a 1/2 ton rear axle, plain and simple.

If you take a little bit of time to look around, you can find many good rearends in junkyards. Not all of them are thrashed. You didn't say what your gear ratio is, that could be the only big snag here. If it's 4.10, you will have a super easy time finding what you need in the 'yards. That is just my 2 cents.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 24876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethorik View Post
I personally would swap rearends, even though you don't want to. I have no scientific evidence to back this up, just common sense, but I wouldn't run duals on a 1/2 ton rear axle, plain and simple.

If you take a little bit of time to look around, you can find many good rearends in junkyards. Not all of them are thrashed. You didn't say what your gear ratio is, that could be the only big snag here. If it's 4.10, you will have a super easy time finding what you need in the 'yards. That is just my 2 cents.

What?? you dont like the idea of putting 1 more additional tire/wheel combo per side on a very likely to be semi-float 1/2 rear end?? It's probably safe becuase those cir-clips NEVER break while driving

Swap axles dude. Even if YOU dont overload the truck, eventually it wont be yours. Someone will eventually take owner ship. Since it's a dually 1/2 ton the only people that are gonna buy it are probably mexican's that are gonna haul 35 people to the job site or haul 9,000 pounds of taco shells. The point is someone will mis-use this truck.

I know, i know, someone could mis-use my toyota truck and get killed, someone could mis-use a forklift that moves at 5 mph, someone could, some one could.. I could go on forever. Semi-float axles and 2 additional tires is just dumb. The axle swap would be cheaper and easier.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:55 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 78697
I appreciate the added input. I now see your point regarding the full-floating axle. I did not take into consideration the added load to the c-clips. Would an 8-lug axle swap right in with my springs and u-joints, or would I need additional components? Also, my gear ratio is 3.50. If I am going to go through all this effort, I would like to upgrade gears to match my oversize tires. What ratio's were available in the 8-lug axles? THANKS!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:20 AM   #24 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACINTHEBOX View Post
I appreciate the added input. I now see your point regarding the full-floating axle. I did not take into consideration the added load to the c-clips. Would an 8-lug axle swap right in with my springs and u-joints, or would I need additional components? Also, my gear ratio is 3.50. If I am going to go through all this effort, I would like to upgrade gears to match my oversize tires. What ratio's were available in the 8-lug axles? THANKS!
Did you miss this part somehow?

Fair warning- The reason I went with the real dually axle is because I originally had dually adapters on the rear stock axle. A car crowded into my lane on a surface street overpass which forced me to either get hit or move over to the shoulder. Instinctive driving moved me over and my outside rear tire hit an aired up spare tire and rim from someone's trailer laying on the shoulder.

The c-clips are not the issue. I broke the stock shaft just inboard of the bearing when I tagged the tire in the road.

You could have the same thing happen just from hitting a curb going around a corner.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:35 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 77290
Send a message via Yahoo to philadelphia
I recently talked to the lady at arrowcraft and she said they stopped making the 5 lug to 8 lug adapter..One day when i get settled in after i move i will be doing a dually conversion on my ramcharger.. I was looking for the adapters for the front to save from buying a dana 60 when id rather have/need one for my cab truck..At this point i will probally get a pair of axles and be done with it..Adapters have always scared me..

If you use a decent yard and look at the truck before they pull the rear you will come out ok..You always dont have to rebuild something from a junk yard..Im sure that some jerkoff will say that you have to but im sure that he spends too much time at the pull a part yard getting crappy cores..

If you dont have them the dually rear should come with disc brakes as a plus..Just find something clean before you pay for it..
If your a religous man, please pray for my 14 year old son Desmond Xavier.He had several strokes the morning of his 14th birthday dues to sickle cell desease.With limited movement and speech the only thing that makes him smile is talking about trucks and camping.
philadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote