Pirate 4x4 banner

8.8 carrier split?

17K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  DSI 
#1 ·
I'm cruisin PnP for an 8.8. whats the carier split? so I wont have to buy another carrier when I regear to 4.56?

#5 ·
There is no break.

Check this out too if you have the parts, one of my loacl buddy's had a hi pinion 9" well we all know they run 8.8" rev gears BUT he swore up and down it took a standard 9" detroit.

So I am doing my daily Ebay search and I run accros a spool for a 9" low and behold in the ad it says it also fits the Ford 8" these are both non C-clip axles. I am starting to think the big difference here is the freaking C-clip, also a hi pinion 9" would not run C-clips because it has 9" housing ends which makes sence.

SO

I have been thinking it might be possible to run a 35 spline 9" detroit and put splineds on the end of the 8.8" so you are full float and therefore beefy C-clip eliminator. With this setup you should be able to use D60 front longside axle shafts cut and resplined to fit into the hub of your choice.

If you have your shit gutted and any 9" stuff laying around you might wanna see what goes togther as I am very interested to find out as well.

#9 ·
Here's a simple thing to remember with Ford- none of Ford's corporate made axles have carrier breaks, 7.5, 8.8, 9, 10.25, 10.50 and such. The front axles and rears made by Dana DO have the carrier breaks.

#12 · (Edited)
There is no break.

Check this out too if you have the parts, one of my loacl buddy's had a hi pinion 9" well we all know they run 8.8" rev gears BUThe swore up and down it took a standard 9" detroit.

So I am doing my daily Ebay search and I run accros a spool for a 9" low and behold in the ad it says it also fits the Ford 8" these are both non C-clip axles. I am starting to think the big difference here is the freaking C-clip, also a hi pinion 9" would not run C-clips because it has 9" housing ends which makes sence.

ummm, you also forgot the journal sizes, and carrier width ;) the HP9 is a custom made/design by Currie! NOT FORD! the 9in shit will not fit a standard 8.8, don't waste your time, it won't fit, trust me!

I have been thinking it might be possible to run a 35 spline 9" detroit and put splineds on the end of the 8.8" so you are full float and therefore beefy C-clip eliminator. With this setup you should be able to use D60 front longside axle shafts cut and resplined to fit into the hub of your choice.

If you have your shit gutted and any 9" stuff laying around you might wanna see what goes togther as I am very interested to find out as well.
you can FF the 8.8 with 8.8 parts and 31sp axles, but you WILL NOT get anytihng 35 in there ;)

#16 ·
DSI said:

ummm, you also forgot the journal sizes, and carrier width ;) the HP9 is a custom made/design by Currie! NOT FORD! the 9in shit will not fit a standard 8.8, don't waste your time, it won't fit, trust me!
:smokin: I guess I wasn't the first to have that idea, too bad it don't work.

you can FF the 8.8 with 8.8 parts and 31sp axles, but you WILL NOT get anytihng 35 in there ;)
Please tell me some more about this, if you don't want it here PM it to me. TY

#18 ·
dblue351 said:

I always heard that the 10.25 can only take up to a 4.56 ring gear.
DSI is right! When will this rumor die? It used to be true only because no one made gears deeper than 4.56 for the 10.25, NOT because of a carrier split.

Now, I *think* you can get 4.88 and 5.13 from Drivetrain Direct (call them to confirm), and I KNOW you can get 5.38s from Randy's 'cause I've been wheeling a set for 4 months now!

Ford has always sold 7.17s for this axle, too. That rules out a carrier break! Just where you'd find a D60 RC carrier to take 7.17s I don't know! (you wouldn't). But I know the D70 can go as deep as 7.17.... but were there ever RC D70s? I don't think so.

But you can get 5.38s for the D60 RC front - again, I've got 'em!

And to the anal retentive: RC, RR whatever, we all know what it means. :rolleyes:

#20 ·
All Mustangs and Rangers are 28 spline, except the 99-present Cobras. The 99-present Cobras use a 31 spline setup, HOWEVER, the 99-present Cobras have IRS, so that's sort of useless for an off roader anyway.

The 8.8's out of NON-Ranger trucks are 31 spline.

All ring and pinions for a Ford 8.8 will will work on both a 28 spline AND 31 spline differentials.

Aftermarket companies such as Moser, Mark Williams, Strange, etc make 33 spline axles and differenials for the 8.8's. Again, these 33 spline setups use the standard 8.8" ring and pinion setup.

The ring and pinions available from Ford, or Ford Motorsport, are hardened gear sets suitable for use on the street in high mileage applications. SOME aftermarket gears are available in softer form, so really high power engines don't shatter the gears. I think Richmond and Rieder offer these types of ring and pinions. My only point, anything from Ford or Ford Motorsport in used form will be fine, if it's a Richmond or other brand, ask what gearset it is.

The 4.56 - 5.13 ratios won't fit under the factory cover, without modifying the cover. I run a SVO cover on the 8.8 in my Mustang with 4.56's. Soon I hope to swap in the old 8.8 out of my other Mustang into my Jeep, along with an upgraded front axle.

#21 ·
Jared Rude said:
The 4.56 - 5.13 ratios won't fit under the factory cover, without modifying the cover. I run a SVO cover on the 8.8 in my Mustang with 4.56's. Soon I hope to swap in the old 8.8 out of my other Mustang into my Jeep, along with an upgraded front axle.
Mine fits and they are 4.88s, dunno if mine is an odd ball or not though it is the factory cover.

#24 ·
DSI said:

You can FF the 8.8 with 8.8 parts and 31sp axles, but you WILL NOT get anytihng 35 in there ;)
Uh um... even after 8 months I remembered this. BTW that means I have a good level of respect for what you say.

Even though you were wrong this time. :flipoff2:

Check out the Mark Williams 35 spline spool for the 8.8" with no special housing requirments.

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.