Pirate 4x4 banner

anyone ever used Haas brand machine tools?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  BensonMN 
#1 ·
#3 ·
OK, thanks. I sort of did a double take when I couldn't find the post in "general chit-chat". LOL.

I'm planning on using it for anything really. Car stuff, custom stuff, fabrication services, etc. Small stuff, nothing that would be large scale production. Basically I've been wanting to buy a small machine ($20k-$30k?) and paying for part of it by subcontract fabrication. Nothing big, preferably small quantity (5-10) prototypes for corporations, like industrial design models, or other stuff like that. At the same time, I'd have my own personal CNC machine, rather than using the stuff my employer owns.

I've also been looking at used stuff, and for the price of the relatively new (mid 1990's) used CNC knee/retrofit mills, the Haas machine *seems* like a good deal. I really don't know anything about it though, other than what Haas has published.

Thanks.

#5 ·
Haas makes some real top notch stuff. I havent used anything of thiers but they are a good brand to get at least in CNC stuff so I would bet their NC stuff is good also.

#6 ·
Haas is a good machine. It can't handle a nonstop production run, but is agreat machine for firstoff parts ( what soulds like your doing ). Decent grafics for tool paths and more buttons rather than menus. Also Haas has a pretty good listing of machines that have been leased for 1-3 years with really good pricing with a full factory warr.:)

#7 ·
I ran A HAAS VF-4 for about a year and a half, It's a pritty good machine. The control is well layed out and easy to use, l they are not the most riggid machine out there but as long as you do not take lots of big cuts to hammer it, it will last a long time if you keep up on the mantaince. Our two HAAS here at work have been running great for three years now and they do not keep up on the mantaince like they should.
I sure would love to have one in my garage! Good luck
:usa:

#8 ·
As a former Final QC guy from Haas, I was picked to prototype the testing and calibration procedures for many of the more recent machines, including the Toolroom mill. So, I'll throw in my .02. If you want to one off smaller parts, this could be the machine for you. But remember, this has small travel compares to its bigger brothers. And if you plan to hog, or take heavy cuts in more difficult materials, this is not your machine. About 3 months into production, after about #140, they went from a 2 piece casting, to a one piece. This is more ridgid, but a tad less accurate. FWIW, accuracy for a Haas mill is usually less than .0005/inch(50 millionths of an inch) error per 12" circle,(spec) and we usually comped them to half of that. These machines comparitively speaking are slightly less accurate than the other Haas VMCs up to about the VF-6. All in all, a cheap versatile mill. But, FWIW, my money would go to a used Haas, (fully refurbished at the factory), probably a VF2 or 3, Hi torque (30 Hp) if you can find one, for about the same money....Go to the Haas site for info on their used machines, many people don't know that Haas buys back their older machines and sells them either as used(as is, but within specs) refurbished(parts that wear out first are replaced, bearings etc) and rebuilt( taken down to casting and completely redone). Of course, for each step up, there is a step up in price, but they are very reasonable compared to new.
I would be comfortable buying any of their machines (VMCs), but I would look else where when choosing a lathe....And no, I don't work for them anymore, or get kick backs etc, this is just my opinion...Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.