Pirate 4x4 banner

Welding Question

551 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Im4yotas 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about bobbing my lwb chevy frame to go under a blazer chassis. I know I'll need some amps to get decent penetration so a stick welder should do this job. What I want ot know is what type of rod is used for this. A structural welding rod like the 7018?

Much obliged for yo comments.

#3 ·
7018 should work alright, when I was doing frame jobs we just used a mig with .035 wire and did a vertical up with it. To increase the strength you should fish plate the frame. Cut a diamond shaped piece that will cover six inches on both side of the weld and about one inch from the top and bottom of the frame. weld the patch on and it should be good to go. Welding at an angle on the frame will prevent the welds from tearing the frame when it is under stress. This is what we would to to everything from semi's to toyota pickups and never had a problem.

#5 ·
I'd go 6010 or 6011. If the frame is dirty or rusty at all, it will penetrate and hold better. It's still plenty strong at 60,000 lbs tensile strength/sq inch. If you don't trust that , use it as a root pass, and cover it with a pass of 7018.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.