Pirate 4x4 banner

engine choices

924 views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Geesh 
#1 · (Edited)
ok im now rethinking the motor choice i took. right now i have a 4.3 Chevy V6 that is fuel injected. im thinking that cost wise its gonna be more than making a propane 350 because of all the wiring im going to need for the FI and all the other small stuff like sensors and stuff. the other thing i thought of was possibly making my 4.3 into a propane motor since its already kinda torn down, i could get new pistons and i have to check on the head specs but possibly some newer vortec ones would have more compression. so my question is given they will be around the same price(give or take a few hundred) which would you choose?
its goin in a CJ7 kinda thing, frame being built from scratch and everything else custom made. so its probly gonna be on the lighter side, not some tube buggy mind you but still pretty light. i know a 4.3 is lighter than a 350 but i need to make a decision soon and a couple hundred pounds doesnt concern me that much

#7 ·
i dig mine a ton. and i dont even think i have it totalyl dialed in yet.
i know one thing, new componets are not cheap, but at teh same time still cheaper than a new FI set up. and no wires or sensors to go bad. jiMMy

#10 ·
Brad said:

i got money now but buildin a frame is first priority, but still plannin on getting your rotors soon, ill have to look into what i have to do to my 4.3 to make it propanable:D
i have the number of the king shit place to call but i might have to sell u the number thats how cool it is! jiMMy:smokin:

#15 ·
anyone think a propane 4.3 is a dumb idea? how much work/$$ would i have to put into the motor to give it good/more power? i was thinkin swapping pistons,different heads or getting mine shaved,most likely a new cam. any other ideas?

#19 ·
Brad said:
well what is missing on the efi 4.3 you have. if your motor already has efi then i would stick with it. i would only conside propne for a motor that did not come already equipped with efi. you are already talking about doing motor mods to make up for lost power due to propane so use that same $$$ to get the wiring and sensors you need to just run the efi. just my op.

#20 ·
Re: Re: You forgot to mention that at full throttle you will fully brake your shiat...

fatkid said:

You have never seen H8Monday drive...

Your not trying to say that my conservative application of the throttle pedal, is excessive,..are you?
Maybe I learned my lesson, after being in the spin cycle at Donner! Hmmm we will see.

Sometimes I think the 5.0 has too much power,..then I after I come to my senses, I point it back up-hill and light the fuse.

#21 ·
high5 said:

well what is missing on the efi 4.3 you have. if your motor already has efi then i would stick with it. i would only conside propne for a motor that did not come already equipped with efi. you are already talking about doing motor mods to make up for lost power due to propane so use that same $$$ to get the wiring and sensors you need to just run the efi. just my op.
i have the computer and stuff, all i need is a complete wiring harnessi just dont want to deal with all the wiring ,computer,sensors,other misc. stuff. although it seems it would be more expensive for FI, im still looking into both alternatives

#22 ·
4.3L TBI stuff

I am putting a '92 TBI 4.3 in my Jeep an did just what they said: chase down as much of the OEM stuff as possible. I have the stock computer, wiring harness, TBI hardware, etc. I ran the same setup on my full size chevy truck on a 350, got more than enough power, and found it easier to service and more reliable than carbueration, and other feulie setups (bosch k-jectronic junk, etc).

Yea, it's not the trickest shite on the planet, but it simple and elegant: two injectors blowing gas straight down into a two-barrel-like throttle rig. Pressure is lower than most FI setups (at least that I have heard), and the power is more than satifactory. I replaced the in-tank pump twice (lesson learned: that little mesh filter is important) and replaced the injectors once in 200,000miles. That was only because I thought it would help

I am planning on running bone stock fuel and air/fuel management system on my 5. You can run with headers or not, just tack the O2 sensor on a crossover pipe, or downstream.

Goodluck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.