Pirate 4x4 banner

Eaton bead locks and SX's don't work...

2K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  TJpwr 
#1 ·
I have had my Eatons for almost two years now and I have had no problems while running them with my 35" SSR's. Well, the tires are getting balder and I'm looking towards getting 36 SX's. My buddy had the same situation and when he installed the SX's they did not have a fat enough bead to get fully clamped down. He tried mutiple tires with no luck so he ordered High Impacts which look killer. I would love to get them but can't afford it.
So I ask would it be possible to put the rings in a press or something to make the bead area smaller? Am I making sense?:confused:
Any and all ideas would be great.

Thanks, Phil:usa:

#2 ·
Huh? Fat enough bead? I have 36" SX's and I've run them on Bart beadlocks and Champions with no problems. SX's have the thickest bead I've ever seen. I guess I don't know exactly what you are refering to. Any pics?

#3 ·
yeah It seems wierd to me too. I had SSR's and SX's right next to each other and the SX's bead felt thinner. Bead as in the part that gets clamped inbetween the rim and ring.

Any ideas?

Phil:usa:

#5 ·
Here's how you handle that: get three or four of the same size bolts as your locks use, except about a 1/4" longer. Start these bolts and that will help you get the others started. Then take the long ones out and put in the right ones.

#7 ·
reddwarf said:
Here's how you handle that: get three or four of the same size bolts as your locks use, except about a 1/4" longer. Start these bolts and that will help you get the others started. Then take the long ones out and put in the right ones.
Yeah I know that trick if the bead on the SX's was THICKER than the SSR's but it is smaller. So the ring hits the rim before the bead is clamped down enough.

Anyone?

#9 ·
badfish said:
I run eaton beadlocks and 38.5 sx's. If anything I think the bead is too thick. I tighten all the bolts down ( finially after I got them started ) I still have a 1/4 inch gap between the ring and the rim. No leaks for a year and a half.
Well I wish the 36's were the same as your 38's but no luck for me.

#10 ·
what if I take the tire off the rim then bolt the ring back on and just hit it with a BFH to make the bead gap area smaller? Sounds dumb but it could work. Maybe, or ruin my rings. Well.....

#18 ·
Yeah I will have the same crawl ratio but that is because that does not take tire size into acount. Right? If two Jeeps were side by side and Jeep A had 29 inch tires and Jeep B had 44 inch all other things being equal. If both were in low low and let the clutch out Jeep B would travel a set distance faster, right? Now I'm confusing myself. This is what I ment by lose of gearing.

#19 ·
with all things equal the only thing that's different is that jeep a for a given engine rotation and time travel less distance then B...the overall speed is better on A and the only advantage to b is ground clearance....that and a is more efficient......

#23 ·
joes75 said:
I agree.... or maybe think about a 37" tire... the boggers are a real nice tire.... wont affect your gearing too much either.. if at all....
I have given much thought to getting the 37x13 Bogger but I'm not sure if the Jeep would fit on the trailer. :mad:

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.