Pirate 4x4 banner

16/35x15 Boggers on a D44

1K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  bigredford04 
#1 ·
First of all, I have no idea what axles are in a stock F-150 front D44. If I run a stock F-150 front D44 with 4.88s and these tires, will I have to worry about breakage. I run it as hard as possible over all that I can find.

I also have the same truck's Ford 9" in the rear. What spline are they? Will I ever have to worry about them?

I have broken the stock rear end of my s-10 about 10 times with 35x12.5 KMs and 4.56s. Should I go with a less beefy tire than the 16/35x15 Boggers to preserve the D44 and the 9"? Maybe the shafts could be upgraded? I dunno?

Thanks for any help!

#8 ·
You squeeze stock Dana 44 shafts between 35 Boggers and 4.88 gears and you'll find out.

Better get chromo shafts or something. I am breaking my D44 with 35" radials and we don't even have rocks here.

Better upgrade those shafts, or be ready to buy a bunch of stockers like I have done

#10 ·
Domenic said:
They will be fine, 4cylinder toyota axles handle them fine, big old 44's should too.:D
stock toy axles don't handle them fine they fail often and so will a 44. but that is just my observation. actuall trail use of a stock 44 on 35 bogers will break easy. warns and ctm will cure the problem.

#11 ·
I have been running d44 w/spools and 35-14.5-15 and have not had any prob. I dont hit the throtal hard though. I am running 4.56:1 to

#12 ·
:nuke: i ran this set up for less than a year, got to expensive replacing the d44 shafts

#15 ·
I saw a Blazer running a 383 those tires locked up stap a joint in his D44 coming out of a mud hole on Powerline Memorial Day. I run open up front on my '78 F150 with the same size Swampers to avoid breakage. Soon as it starts raining HP60's I'll swap one in up front with an ARB, to match the D60 I am putting in the rear.

BTW spline count on my old 9" is 30, and 30 for the D44 inners too.

#16 ·
snap clank bang.....

first off, shaw...if you really "run it as hard as possible over all that I can find. "......then nothing is gonna survive 'cept maybe 35spline D60 throughout.
that sayed, my locked 44 frontend survived just fine behind my bigblock and 35x15.5sx's up at funnyrocks/ moonrocks this past weekend playin' pretty hard, but with a little throttle common sense...

and BTW, magoo,
stock 9" has 28 or 31 splines...

#19 ·
um....nice shaw, but you asked...

how bout this....

skip the 35's and go w/ the 39.5's....that d44 in your truck is bomb proof....I've seen guys w/ blown injected bigblocks running dana 44's and never seen one break...they are da shiznat!!!

BUT, the one catch is that you have to find the super-alloy 26 & 1/2 spline inner axle shafts, and mate those w/ the 48 spline outter stubs!!!!!

and just a simple upgrade to the rear 9" to 237 spline axles (factory in 1971.5 F-175's) and throw those bad mutha's in there...

get some buddy!!!!
:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

#20 ·
Berne said:
um....nice shaw, but you asked...

how bout this....

skip the 35's and go w/ the 39.5's....that d44 in your truck is bomb proof....I've seen guys w/ blown injected bigblocks running dana 44's and never seen one break...they are da shiznat!!!

BUT, the one catch is that you have to find the super-alloy 26 & 1/2 spline inner axle shafts, and mate those w/ the 48 spline outter stubs!!!!!

and just a simple upgrade to the rear 9" to 237 spline axles (factory in 1971.5 F-175's) and throw those bad mutha's in there...

get some buddy!!!!
:flipoff2: :flipoff2:
REALLY???? You can do that? :smokin:

#21 ·
Tell ya what Berne... Next time you answer a question... Don't be such a damn smart ass!

My name isn't Magoo. That is insulting. What do you think I am gonna do? If you can't be civil, shut your :rainbow: ass mouth.

Way to make friends pal... "Hey bud, you are really stupid since you don't know what spline axles a 9" has"... Maybe I should have just said thanks for the help and ignored it, but I don't take crap from anyone.

Have a :beer: and chill out.... Magoo. :flipoff2:

#23 ·
hey Shaw,
chill out dude.....
If you read the rest of the posts in this thread, you'll see that someone else NAMED MAGOO said a 9" had 30 splines....which is incorrect, and I was simply correcting him, and supplying YOU with correct information. think you need some :beer: :beer:

tell us what year your junk is, and where/how you wheel.

I gots a '79 bronco, bigblock, and 35x15.5sx's (similar size/weight as the boggers your lookin' at) and I have to be pretty careful not to break front shafts all the time.....

take it easy bud.....and make sure you read the posts before you insert foot into mouth....

--Berne

#24 ·
Ummm... I knew that.

My bad.

Anywho, I bought them off of a guy who said he didn't know the exact year of the truck. He buys them by the truck from a salvage yard. They are from the same F-150, and they were in great shape.

I mainly wheel at the Badlands, in the rock quarry and through other various spots with tough obstacles. I am going to try to make it out to Moab next spring though. I want to be able to give almost everything a try.

Where I used to break my junk was on the steep climbs. If I couldn't make the climb it was almost certain that I would have carnage. I have recently had a transplant of the D44 and 9" and I am selecting tires and wheels right now.

#25 ·
its cool....

you can definitly make those axles live behind the 35" bog's....but not if you just go and beat on them....
some definite care will be required....and if this ain't an option, then some Warn shafts w/ CTM joints could be an option (though I don't know anyone running these in a fullsize truck that has beat on them very hard, would love to hear experiences w/ this combo).....or find a d60....

hard to make anything bomb proof, without getting rediculous..

--Berne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.