Pirate 4x4 banner

Do you torque your nuts?

1K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  ROKTOY 
#1 ·
Do ya? I mean lug nuts? Do you buzz them on with a impact or torque them?

Pros and cons? I personally use an impact with a torque tube...

#6 ·
It takes what, another 5 mins to torque them??? Its your wheels, rotors, and pads...The wheels/tires are the only thing connecting everything above it to the ground...So why not just take the extra minute to do it?

#20 ·
I never torque mine. I use a 4-way or breaker bar. Never had problems. All our vehicles are 4WD though…..

I read a service bulletin recently in a tech mag and it stated that use of impacts, even with torque sticks could cause rotor warping problems on late model cars. What often happens is that the service tech tightens one lug nut with the wheel slightly unseated off the wheel hub. The nut tends to grab and hold the wheel in the cocked position. Then he slams another lug nut on and pulls the wheel over, stressing the first stud. This and other lug nuts randomly installed and tightened can warp the thin rotors on late model cars.

I don’t think this is much concern on the beefier wheel hubs and rotors we deal with….

Jay

#23 ·
If you're pneumatic impact gun isn't able to get over 70-80 ft-lbs with a few hammers, there's something wrong between the compressor and the gun.

We torque the lugs on the race cars only because we DON'T want them over 70 ft-lbs otherwise we waste time in the pits getting the wheels off.

cm "impact treats me well" k

#24 ·
I use a torque wrench (don't you just love 8 lug axles...)
I have a pretty good feel for it as well, but sometimes, if i'm a bit tired, i wouldn't stress the nuts enough, or if i'm somewhat aggrevated i might break something. I just don't risk it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.