Pirate 4x4 banner

Wheel sizes for 1400R20 Michelin XL?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  elf_cruiser 
#1 ·
I found a new set of the 1400R20 XL's and am wondering about wheel size. I see that the recommended wheel width is 10 inches but I thought I saw some guys running the 7 inchers with them? Also wondering about the air down qualities of these tires. What is the recommended pressures on non beadlocked rims for the rocks? What is the quality of the bead, does it act like a 16.5 or is it more solid like a 15 inch rim? Also wondering since they are steel belted what is the lowest pressure I can set them at for the rocks? Thanks I'll be making some beadlocks for whatever rim I get but for now I'll have to run them on regular rims. Any other valuable info on these tires is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Before you get started you will need two things:

A. Grooving Iron
B. Keg of Beer

And be prepared to spend a whole weekend grooving the crap out of those things. That is the ONLY way to make them flex in the rocks. You can air em down to 0psi and they will still just sit there. As for the wheels, i belive you will be fine with anywhere btwn 8 and 10 inches. 7"ers may be a little narrow, and cause you to lose a bead more easily... If you really want to get nasty, try putting tubes in them, that way you can air down to like 2psi and not lose a bead. OR, if you wanna spend a little cash and go for the sweetness, PM Brutus on this board, he can make you some beadlocked 20" wheels...

Good Luck dude,

BTW - I am in AZ now, so maybe i'll see ya on the trails!

#3 ·
Dude you need to come over with all the AZ guys in the first part of August to Johnson Valley. We'll be there runnin with them. I don't know if I'll take my pile. I left it in Sac. hoping to run the con a few times this summer while it is blistering hot out in Johnson Valley. What tires have you decided to run on your rocks.? I was hoping swampers would cut it but in Johnson Valley they puncture pretty easy so I need more side wall strength. I figured I'd groove the XL's a lot to make them flex. I wanted some XML's but I can't find any around here, so I'm gunna try the XL's and hope that the added clearance and size will help where the lack of stickiness of the rubber come into play.

#7 ·
Hey ECF, i really want to come to JV, but i dunno if i can get a trailer or not... Also depends on $$ flow. I am definitely going to moab the week after the JV run, but i would like to make it out if i can. We will see what happens...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.