Pirate 4x4 banner

Has anyone seen 52" military tires used? Or 2.5 ton military axles?

2K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  mudtruck44 
#1 ·
Hello,

I ended up with a new set of 52"tall 16" wide military tires,
and 3 2.5 ton military axles.

I would like to put this on a mid 90's f150, and was hoping
someone else has already completed such a project.

So if you have seen it done please let me know. First order
of business is to convert the air brakes to disk brakes.

thanks
-forrest

#12 ·
O.K., I will be the guy to come out and say this-

If you have to ask a question like this, do you actually think that you will be able to do a project like this your self? I am not trying to be a dick but what kind of answer do you want? No one makes a kit to put Rockwells on an F-150. It would be cool and I know a guy that had a Chevy with 52"s and Rockwells. What are you trying to build? A mudder? A showtruck? Do you want to cut fenders or have enough lift to avoid hitting fenders?

If you want to do this, I am thinking coilovers/4-link front and rear. If you put leafs on it, they will have to have a lot of arch and be rediculously stiff. With 52"s you need full hydro steer also. Have I lost you yet? You aren't planning on driving this on the street are you?

#13 ·
I understand the last comment completely. My brother and his
best friend build, race, and own their own monster trucks,
using most of the same parts.So between those two, and myself, it
will be something that will get done. And yup, I was planning to
drive it on the street.....where else would I drive it?

I was just asking your opinions so when I talk with them
tonight.....I could give them a different perspective.

#15 ·
I was thinking from the other site, that you wanted to put all three axles under the F150. I'm thinking it would be near impossible based on the tire diameter, wheelbase, and overall length. Two axles, sure. Three axles, each with 52" diameter tires, in a 117 inch wheelbase and a 197 inch overall length, is really going to be pushing it. It could be done, but it would not be real practical, or at least not as practical as you would want.

#17 ·
Forrest Summers said:
And yup, I was planning to
drive it on the street.....where else would I drive it?
I was thinking you would drive it on the trail, thats where most of the trucks around here get use... :flipoff2:

I personally would tube out by front doors foward, and tube out the bed. Then you wouldnt have to be so damn sky high.

#19 ·
Big trucks

Angie
- Dude, that truck is so fat...or phat...Whatever. Hey, where did you find that paint? It's seriously sweet.

I've been reading this board since Christmas. This is my third post. I know nothing. But it's people like this guy that give is pirate virgins a bad name. Best of luck finding the bolt on kit for rockwells. Maybe the same people that have the kit for a SAS in a 'Yota could help you. I think they're called ProComp.

Reed

#22 ·
I have a set of rockwell under my 86 bronco, and the mechanics on the underside are the same as a mid 90's F150. Because of the engine crossmember (where the TTB bolts to) you need serious lift to clear it. I have 9 inch lift coils on 8 inch "blocks" in front and I am building a four link. If I had know how big it would end up being I never would have started. It will be way to high for what I wanted to build, but I got the Rockwell bug and had to have em. In the back I inboarded the stock springs under the frame and fliped the shackle over. I will need blocks in the rear or some lift springs depending on how the front sits when I get the 4 link set up.

JYS

#26 ·
I went out in search of tires today and saw a 1600R20 for the first time, mounted on a rim. Damn those things are massive! I was kinda pondering them but now that I've seen them I'm pussin' out cause those tires are just way too big! Saw a 1400R20 and that is big enough! I would definitely recommend coils or coil overs so that the thing actually rides decent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.